Romeo and Juliet (1996)

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

for a film that quoted shakespeare verbatim, it's about as good as it could be. because i really hate shakespeare.

baz luhrmann's gleefully anachronistic adaption of romeo & juliet doesn't take its source material at all seriously - a gracious decision, given that shakespeare is an alarmingly overrated hack. unfortunately, his unrelentingly obnoxious dialogue was carried over, which was certainly *not* gracious. besides that, this director's unique stylistic visions are always fun (though this is nothing on moulin rouge), and i'm sure those who actually like shakespeare (and luhrmann) will like it even more.

6.3/10

I've been told so many times I should like this but I don't, at all. I hate the acting, I couldn't wait for either to die.

I always thought that I could be watching Zeffirelli's masterpiece instead, should have done just that. It's better than the 2013 version, not that that means anything.

It's Romeo Juliet. Sorry Kel, just a pet peeve of mine. :P

I loved it. In my opinion, the 90's delivered some of the greatest films of all time and this is one of them. Leo and Claire kill it. The direction and the cinematography were unlike anything I had seen before in mainstream cinema. And it's crazy to think that this is the only film Nellee Hooper has composed music for. This soundtrack holds an incredibly personal and special significance in my life (which may or may not skew my opinion of the film). 

A+