12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Community Manager

If it is light, I guess neither Murray or McCarthy are too annoying, which is good too hear, as Bill Murray belongs in light enjoyable comedies.

McCarthy plays a very grounded role. Murray didn't really get on my nerves.

• Like 1

One of the best films of the year and a shoe in for best original screenplay imo.  Every major actor does some nice work and the film is very funny and quite emotional at times.  Will make my top ten of the year for sure.

9.5/10

• Like 1

St. Vincent is a story of a grumpy old man (played by the always great Bill Murray) who babysits the neighbor's kid. The story is a little predictable but it has a few interesting twist and turns to keep it entertaining.

The film surprisingly has a lot of big names including Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, Naomi Watts, Chris O'Dowd, and even Terrence Howard makes a cameo.

The films big heart and enjoyable performances makes this a big crowd pleaser and this is something I will add to my DVD collection when it comes out. The only thing I can say is that I think the film could of been cut 10 - 15 minutes and it would of been a perfect run time.

Grade: B+

PS: The credits for this movie, I have never seen an entire theater stay for the entire credits.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum
  • Like 1

Not centering you out Panda, but I don't understand why having something be predictable is a bad thing.  We've all seen enough movies to know how things work.  

Predictable is fine, but a lot of the parts feel way to obviously foreshadowed to the point it felt forced.  That's more what I meant by predictable.  I didn't need giant twists and turns like a thriller or anything but when the story plays out exactly how you'd expect it to in your head (especially if it's a light dramatic comedy) then it loses a lot of the initial entertainment value.  I'm fine seeing a story I've seen many times over again, but to get me to love that story I've seen a hundred times over they have to do something unique with it to help set it apart.  Within a couple months this movie (while very enjoyable and likable when you watch it) will blend in as identical to many of the others just like it. 

Like for example, just this year Bad Words came out and that movie was thematically very similar to this one, the performances and production values were weaker, but in contrast it was funnier and a bit more interesting.  Both got a B+ from me which is a strong grade, so it's not like I am bagging on either of them.  

For me to give above a B+ to something though it has to have something that will stick out as memorable by the end of the year in a good way, as well as be light on technical flaws.

• Like 3

I was really surprised by this film in a positive way. It only works with Bill Murray. Any other actor and this could've been terrible. However, Murray was great in the titular role. Funny and heartfelt, while also being predictable and full of moments of odd writing, this movie transcends what it should be and somehow became one of my favorites of the year. I actually cried at this movie; something that hasn't happened in quite some time. A

lol cudos HW produced a good russian character (by HW standards)! :lol: lol but Daka really??? if they wanted to go full stereotype route they should have called her Natasha or something 

really nice movie but yep ... predictable & McCarthy was actually playing this understated charcater! no shitting in the sink & other such "humour"  :lol:

The role is really tailor made 4 Murray & it really was organic & not "ZOMG ACTED" 

& the cat!  :wub: such a cutie