Plain Old Tele

The Untouchables (1987)

The Untouchables (1987)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I was surprised how not good this was. There are some brilliant scenes (the station shootout) but they are almost always coupled with some stupid shit (the woman being annoying). The story itself is pretty by-the-numbers with heroes we don't care much for and a villain we don't know much about (not necessarily a bad thing but here it was). KCost and Connery do a decent job but it was hard to overcome the story issues that weren't really helped by De Palma's directorial style, which I felt wasn't the best choice for this Chicago setting.

5/10

De Palma + Mamet + great cast + De Niro as Capone = masterpiece. At least it should be but it isn't. There are a bunch of flaws in the movie.

But it's so entertaining, with great dialoge, great style and a number of classic scenes. It's just one of my most rewatchable films.

• Like 1

Enjoyable story with great set pieces but is ultimately let down by its bad accents and terrible soundtrack. 

Terrible soundtrack? Enrico Morricone? Are we listening to the same music? I friggin' have the main theme for this movie on my ipod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2FekMaTQc

• Like 1