The Stingray

BOF's Top 25 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century | COUNTDOWN

#9:

STAR TREK (2009) - 209 points

"Your father was captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better."

image.jpg

Director: J.J. Abrams

Premise: The brash James T. Kirk tries to live up to his father's legacy with Mr. Spock keeping him in check as a vengeful, time-traveling Romulan creates black holes to destroy the Federation one planet at a time.

The story takes place in an alternate reality due to time travel by both Nero and the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy). The alternate timeline was created in an effort to free the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints while simultaneously preserving original story elements.

mYhD96a.jpg

Trivia: Steven Spielberg convinced J.J. Abrams to direct the film, and provided advice on some of the action sequences.

WTF?

No no no. Nonononononononono.

• Like 3

#5:

GRAVITY (2013) - 286 points

"Life in space is impossible."

gravity001.jpg

Director: Alfonso Cuarón

Premise: A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after a catastrophe destroys their shuttle and leaves them adrift in orbit.

TEsZ8Cp.jpg

BOF user review: It's easily the movie experience of the year. Absolutely insane; you will be gripping the seat of your IMAX chair for 90 minutes. - Tele

Trivia: Although the film has received acclaim for its realism of its premises and its general adherence to physical principles, director Alfonso Cuarón has admitted that the film is not always scientifically accurate and that some liberties were needed to sustain the story.
  • Like 14

#4:

CHILDREN OF MEN (2006) - 317 points

"Your baby is the miracle the whole world has been waiting for."

image.jpg

Premise: In 2027, in a chaotic world in which women have become somehow infertile, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea.

N5vR72J.jpg

BOF user review: Brilliant concept. Brilliant directing. Brilliant acting. Brilliant cinematography. That car sequence with Julianne Moore's assassination. CoM for me has stronger moments than Gravity. - Spidey Freak

Trivia: In the movie, the infertility crisis is the result of all women being infertile. In the original novel by P.D. James, it's the result of all men producing no sperm.
  • Like 20

#3:

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004) - 349 points

"I can't remember anything without you."

image.jpg

Director: Michel Gondry

Premise: When their relationship turns sour, a couple undergoes a procedure to have each other erased from their memories. But it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

The film uses elements of science fiction, psychological thriller, and a nonlinear narrative to explore the nature of memory and romantic love.

2gyz4Cm.jpg

BOF user review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind succeeds on virtually every level. The editing and cinematography are fantastic, the soundtrack fits the film very well, direction is exceptional and the screenplay is your typical, absurd Kaufman premise with much insight and intelligence to back it up. I've mentioned almost nothing about the plot itself, even though it's one of the smartest and original in recent years, and there is a whole lot more points I could rave about, but I won't because you'll probably notice them when you watch it. I'm also kind of tired of writing, but that's beyond the point. I'm actually kind of surprised it's dropping at the same rate as other movies in IMDb's top 250 because of how great it holds up in repeat viewings, especially when you consider that it was the 2nd best movie of the decade according to critics, and it's a movie that I find hard to find a fault in. - Fanboy

Trivia: Clementine's hair goes through several color changes, blue, orange, red, green, and brown which seems to be her natural hair color. This helps the viewer keep track of where her relationship with Joel corresponds to the plot.
  • Like 18

#5:

GRAVITY (2013) - 286 points

"Life in space is impossible."

gravity001.jpg

Premise: A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after a catastrophe destroys their shuttle and leaves them adrift in orbit.

TEsZ8Cp.jpg

BOF user review: It's easily the movie experience of the year. Absolutely insane; you will be gripping the seat of your IMAX chair for 90 minutes. - Tele

Trivia: Although the film has received acclaim for its realism of its premises and its general adherence to physical principles, director Alfonso Cuarón has admitted that the film is not always scientifically accurate and that some liberties were needed to sustain the story.

kbtV8zN.gif

• Like 1

#2:

WALL-E (2008) - 368 points

"Wait, that doesn't look like Earth. Where's the blue sky?"

image.jpg

Director: Andrew Stanton

Premise: In the distant future, a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

The film is seen as a critique on larger societal issues. It addresses consumerism, nostalgia, environmental problems, waste management, the immense impact humans have on the Earth, and risks to human civilization and its home planet Earth.

Zg2bLju.jpg

BOF user review: A huge achievement in filmmaking. It's incredibly intelligent, visually stunning, and emotionally powerful. I think the first half of the film is superior, and that is a testement to Wall-E's captivating story that even though there were barely any words spoken, it still managed to say everything it needed to with grace and poignancy. Is it even possible for someone not to feel moved when Eve desperately tried to revive Wall-E? - Noctis

Trivia: The survival of both the Twinkie and the cockroach perpetuates the urban myth that even should the world end, both will survive indefinitely.
  • Like 16

#1:

INCEPTION (2010) - 402 points

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

BzIm3YXIQAEGsFh.jpg

Director: Christopher Nolan

Premise: A thief who steals corporate secrets through use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a CEO.

CT5UJzI.jpg

BOF user review: It's an intriguing, engaging, stylish thriller, a heist movie, and a French new wave film all in one. It's Leo DiCaprio's best work, a Tom Hardy showcase, and proof that JGL can kick ass. It turns an entirely abstract concept of symbolic imagery, father/son relationship, and guilt/regret into an enormously compelling summer multiplex action movie. Nolan has made a few of my favorite movies ever but I put this at the top of his work. Seen it 5-6 times now and it never gets less interesting. - Gopher

Trivia: If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.
  • Like 12

COMPLETE LIST

1. Inception – 402 points
2. WALL-E – 368
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – 349
4. Children of Men – 317
5. Gravity – 286
6. Her – 269
7. Moon - 228
8. The Prestige – 224
9. Star Trek – 209
10. Minority Report – 202
11. District 9 – 181
12. Rise of the Planet of the Apes – 164
13. Snowpiercer – 160
14. Looper – 153
15. Cloud Atlas – 150
16. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – 146
17. Donnie Darko – 131
18. Avatar – 126
19. Sunshine – 125
20. A.I. Artificial Intelligence – 124
21. War of the Worlds – 122
22. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith – 119
23. Source Code – 104
24. The World's End - 100
25. The Hunger Games – 85

RUNNERS-UP

Pacific Rim - 82
Unbreakable - 79
Transformers – 73
Chronicle – 64
Star Trek Into Darkness – 60
Attack the Block - 56
Under the Skin – 55
Cloverfield – 54
Primer - 54
Contagion - 53

TOTAL NUMBER OF LISTS: 31

MOST #1s: Inception (4), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (4)

MOST LIST APPEARANCES: Inception (27), WALL-E (27)

HIGHEST RT-SCORE: Gravity (97%)

LOWEST RT-SCORE: Cloud Atlas (66%)

#1s THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE TOP 25: Knowing, Melancholia, Mr. Nobody, Primer, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

DIRECTOR WITH MOST MOVIES IN THE TOP 25: Steven Spielberg (3)

MOST REPRESENTED YEAR: 2013 (5)
  • Like 11

COMPLETE LIST

1. Inception – 402 points
2. WALL-E – 368
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – 349
4. Children of Men – 317
5. Gravity – 286
6. Her – 269
7. Moon - 228
8. The Prestige – 224
9. Star Trek – 209
10. Minority Report – 202
11. District 9 – 181
12. Rise of the Planet of the Apes – 164
13. Snowpiercer – 160
14. Looper – 153
15. Cloud Atlas – 150
16. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – 146
17. Donnie Darko – 131
18. Avatar – 126
19. Sunshine – 125
20. A.I. Artificial Intelligence – 124
21. War of the Worlds – 122
22. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith – 119
23. Source Code – 104
24. The World's End - 100
25. The Hunger Games – 85

RUNNERS-UP

Pacific Rim - 82
Unbreakable - 79
Transformers – 73
Chronicle – 64
Star Trek Into Darkness – 60
Attack the Block - 56
Under the Skin – 55
Cloverfield – 54
Primer - 54
Contagion - 53

TOTAL NUMBER OF LISTS: 31

MOST #1s: Inception (4), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (4)

MOST LIST APPEARANCES: Inception (27), WALL-E (27)

HIGHEST RT-SCORE: Gravity (97%)

LOWEST RT-SCORE: Cloud Atlas (66%)

#1s THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE TOP 25: Knowing, Melancholia, Mr. Nobody, Primer, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

DIRECTOR WITH MOST MOVIES IN THE TOP 25: Steven Spielberg (3)

MOST REPRESENTED YEAR: 2013 (5)

Revenge of the Fallen was first in someone's list?! :rofl: 

• Like 5