Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Not really, the ER drop in 2015 has been the worst in recent times.

Minions wiped Frozen out of Latin America in audience, it became the #1 movie ever in Mexico and Argentina. LatAm was Frozen's weakest region, comparatively speaking.

Frozen is one of my favourite animated movies ever but you are right! In Admissions Minions was so much bigger than Frozen all over LA. Here a few examples:

1- Colombia: Frozen 1.37m admissions / Minions 3.13m adm

2- Brazil: Frozen 4.24m adm / Minions 8.84m adm

3- Argentina: Frozen 1.94m adm / Minions 4.93m adm

4- Mexico: Frozen 7.3m adm / Minions 16.08m adm

• Like 2

Frozen is one of my favourite animated movies ever but you are right! In Admissions Minions was so much bigger than Frozen all over LA. Here a few examples:

This.

Yes with better ERs, I insist Frozen would have been easily dethroned. Disney is lucky!

Doesn't Japan alone make up for the difference in Latin America and more? The yen was approximately 20% stronger in early 2014 compared to now, so Minions would have made about $50 million compared to the $250 million of Frozen using the same exchange rate. Not saying that Minions wouldn't have beat Frozen given the same exchange rates, but I think it would primarily be dependent on China more than any other market. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

Doesn't Japan alone make up for the difference in Latin America and more? The yen was approximately 20% stronger in early 2014 compared to now, so Minions would have made about $50 million compared to the $250 million of Frozen using the same exchange rate. Not saying that Minions wouldn't have beat Frozen given the same exchange rates, but I think it would primarily be dependent on China more than any other market. 

Yes. With current exchange rates and excluding China, the result would have been $680m for Frozen and $714m, for the moment, for Minions. And, just for the record, I will not say that inflation can cover that difference, but, for instance, Venezuela yearly inflation is at 68%!!! and in Argentina, it is 15%.

I do not know where Minions will finish in current OS markets. 730? 740? That would mean $60m difference in favor of Minions. Considering that Frozen will beat domestically Minions by, at least, $60m, OS-C difference would be covered. So I think you are right: the difference is, basically, China.

• Like 1

Yes. With current exchange rates and excluding China, the result would have been $680m for Frozen and $714m, for the moment, for Minions. And, just for the record, I will not say that inflation can cover that difference, but, for instance, Venezuela yearly inflation is at 68%!!! and in Argentina, it is 15%.

I do not know where Minions will finish in current OS markets. 730? 740? That would mean $60m difference in favor of Minions. Considering that Frozen will beat domestically Minions by, at least, $60m, OS-C difference would be covered. So I think you are right: the difference is, basically, China.

If the difference is in China only..then Minions would have beat Frozen for sure.

WOW - Minions DOUBLED Frozen's admissions everywhere in LA

• Like 1

If the difference is in China only..then Minions would have beat Frozen for sure.

Yes but, again, both films would have not had the same conditions. We do not know what Frozen would had done today in China or how much would had done Minions in early 2014 there. The best comparison we have is that DM2 and Frozen did about the same in China in early 2014... At the end, just pure speculation. Anyway, both are great runs. 

• Like 1

Yes but, again, both films would have not had the same conditions. We do not know what Frozen would had done today in China or how much would had done Minions in early 2014 there. The best comparison we have is that DM2 and Frozen did about the same in China in early 2014... At the end, just pure speculation. Anyway, both are great runs. 

Agreed. I can't wait to track DM3 along with Frozen 2 though. That will probably give us a good idea of which IP is a stronger global phenomenon. Frozen's run was spectacular but also had a few less than ideal factors cutting into its overall gross like Minions and the lower exchange rates. The early DVD release in the U.S. and Japan in particular was discussed on here as having cost Frozen over $100 million in the box office overall.

• Like 1

Agreed. I can't wait to track DM3 along with Frozen 2 though. That will probably give us a good idea of which IP is a stronger global phenomenon. Frozen's run was spectacular but also had a few less than ideal factors cutting into its overall gross like Minions and the lower exchange rates. The early DVD release in the U.S. and Japan in particular was discussed on here as having cost Frozen over $100 million in the box office overall.

On the DVD point - DM2 is selling more DVDs and Blurays than Frozen in 2015 in the United States by a good margin.

The-numbers.com have the figures. More DM2 units are being sold on a weekly basis than Frozen or any other animated title or franchise.

Interesting to track DM3 and Frozen 2 for sure!

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-dvd-sales-chart

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

On the DVD point - DM2 is selling more DVDs and Blurays than Frozen in 2015 in the United States by a good margin.

The-numbers.com have the figures. More DM2 units are being sold on a weekly basis than Frozen or any other animated title or franchise.

Well, I guess that is because the Minions release. The year that Frozen 2 will be released, Frozen sales will increase for sure. I find it a logical data.

• Like 1

Well, I guess that is because the Minions release. The year that Frozen 2 will be released, Frozen sales will increase for sure. I find it a logical data.

You could also argue that DM2 is the older release and that Frozen was released after it by 3-4 months so the newer releases always sell a bit more than older ones.

Goes both ways.

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-dvd-sales-chart

That is very impressive and no doubt shows the influence of the Minions. I suspect Frozen may have plateaued sooner because of the sheer number of units sold in 2014.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2014

You could also argue that DM2 is the older release and that Frozen was released after it by 3-4 months so the newer releases always sell a bit more than older ones.

Goes both ways.

When Minions run is done and people do not see Minions everywhere, we will be able to check which theory is closer to reality.

Mentioning Frozen, Minions will soon surprass it in Italy!!

ITALIA BOX OFFICE

After 7,163,286 Euros to debut last weekend, which is the best animated debut ever at the box office ours, plus another € 8,192,831 raked from Monday to Sunday.Total: 15,429,855 Euros and 2,289,604 paying spectators in just 11 days of programming. The phenomenon Minions continues to rage on the ground tricolor, both from having exceeded even Jurassic World and Cinderella among the highest-grossing season. For the sixth time, the animated title will soon make a run at Fifty Shades of Grey , leading with 19,627,495 Euros. The Minions will break down the wall of 20 million, an event that does not occur by the boom of the Sun in basin, surpassing even the € 19,321,430 received from Frozen 

Mentioning Frozen, Minions will soon surprass it in Italy!!

ITALIA BOX OFFICE

After 7,163,286 Euros to debut last weekend, which is the best animated debut ever at the box office ours, plus another € 8,192,831 raked from Monday to Sunday.Total: 15,429,855 Euros and 2,289,604 paying spectators in just 11 days of programming. The phenomenon Minions continues to rage on the ground tricolor, both from having exceeded even Jurassic World and Cinderella among the highest-grossing season. For the sixth time, the animated title will soon make a run at Fifty Shades of Grey , leading with 19,627,495 Euros. The Minions will break down the wall of 20 million, an event that does not occur by the boom of the Sun in basin, surpassing even the € 19,321,430 received from Frozen 

Those are huge and uncommon numbers for Italy. Really impressive.

• Like 1

Why is there a "rivalry" between frozen and minions? The only thing those movies have in common is that both are big hypes.

I prefered frozen though;)

Nothing against minions either. I like them especially purple ;)

Minions > Frozen
  • Like 1

Why is there a "rivalry" between frozen and minions? The only thing those movies have in common is that both are big hypes.

I prefered frozen though;)

Nothing against minions either. I like them especially purple ;)

Because there is a small chance Minions can outgross Frozen WW as the biggest animated film ever. It needs to make huge business in China to do it, but the chance exists.

Concerning tastes, I agree with you. I consider Frozen a quite better film than Minions. Said this, I do not think none of them is between the best 10 animated films ever. Maybe, not even in the top 20. But that is just my personal opinion.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

Even if Minions doesn't beat Frozen, its record won't remain for long. Finding Dory has a very good chance of surpassing its WW gross.

Agree. Dory can do it. Nemo would have done $490m OS with today exchange rates. In that number is not taken into account 3D of initial release, inflation or expanding markets effect. If the film is good enough, Frozen could fall.