Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Looks like Disney better watch out for Universal now.....

They won't know who they will deal with.

Exactly. Also if the film breaks out in China, 1.2 billion might be even possible! With the first non Disney film crossing 1 billion, this is a major moment for animated films in box office history.

Not only is Minions the third animated film in history that reaches that mark - the major news here is that Despicable Me franchise is now the ONLY animated franchise EVER to have 2 spots in the top 5 highest grossing films of all time, with Illumination Entertainment becoming only the other studio (next to Disney) to have 2 films in the 5 highest grossing animated films of all time.

This news can't be glanced over.

Also the Minions/DM franchise has a key strength point over IA (Europe/Latin America strong) of KFP (Asia strong): it is huge in all continents: North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Australia – making it the only animated franchise, next to Frozen, to achieve sizable grosses in all these regions.

• Like 1

Exactly. Also if the film breaks out in China, 1.2 billion might be even possible! With the first non Disney film crossing 1 billion, this is a major moment for animated films in box office history.

Not only is Minions the third animated film in history that reaches that mark - the major news here is that Despicable Me franchise is now the ONLY animated franchise EVER to have 2 spots in the top 5 highest grossing films of all time, with Illumination Entertainment becoming only the other studio (next to Disney) to have 2 films in the 5 highest grossing animated films of all time.

This news can't be glanced over.

Also the Minions/DM franchise has a key strength point over IA (Europe/Latin America strong) of KFP (Asia strong): it is huge in all continents: North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Australia – making it the only animated franchise, next to Frozen, to achieve sizable grosses in all these regions.

It may even beat Frozen.

You can't predict China.

:)

Congrats to Universal for being the first and only studio in HISTORY to have 3 movies gross over $1 Billion in the same year!!!

And will soon be the only studio to have 2 movies gross over $1 billion OS. 

Edited by Queen Shar
  • Like 2

As much as I would love this, but I highly doubt Minions crosses 150m in China let alone 200.So I don't think Frozen's 1.27 billion would be challenged.UNLESS: we are all underestimating it in China.

Maybe you are underestimating Minions in China, but not many others including me. 150 million has been predicted long time ago by some posters who know very well Chinese market. And I am with them. I think it will make 150, maybe more.
  • Like 2

Congrats to Universal for being the first and only studio in HISTORY to have 3 movies gross over $1 Billion in the same year!!!

And will soon be the only studio to have 2 movies gross over $1 billion OS.

Fox has 2 also (it had the Os distribution of Titanic)

People here seem to forget that Minions is doing very well everywhere, but especially in those countries that are usually keen on embracing the animation garbage. And the remaining market is China, the leader of this 'group'. Assuming a finish around 1.07/1.08B from holdovers, Minions only need 200M to reach Frozen. It might seem too hard to reach, but it really is just 5x of Penguins and 2.4x of BH6. It's a 50/50. OS, it's a done deal.

• Like 2

Deadline:

Minions, which marched past $1B last week, was given a hearty buongiorno in Italy where it bowed No. 1 with a huge $8.5M to become the biggest opening weekend for an animated film ever in that market where it has a 77% share. Doing the bidding for Universal and Illumination, the little yellow henchmen added a total estimate of$14.9M in 60 territories. That brings the cume overseas to $694.1M. Combined with the U.S. total of $324.8M, the worldwide cume is $1.02B. In other milestones,Minions overtook Ice Age: Dawn Of Dinosaurs’ $690M yesterday to become the 3rd-highest-grossing animated film of all time internationally. There are still three territories to go: Turkey (September 4), China (September 13) and Greece (September 24).

• Like 2

Yes, Frozen will be dethroned.

I highly highly doubt that, despite being a Minions supporter myself. If Frozen is to be dethroned, Minions will have to make 200+ million in China (close to Avengers numbers). I know China adores them but 200m? I highly doubt.

I highly highly doubt that, despite being a Minions supporter myself. If Frozen is to be dethroned, Minions will have to make 200+ million in China (close to Avengers numbers). I know China adores them but 200m? I highly doubt.

Well, Kylin Zhang is an expert when it comes to the Chinese Box office....so he knows what he is talking about. Don't doubt him. :P

Market's have been grown since 2 years ago with DM2.

• Like 1

Ant-man is moved to October in China, Minions will benefit from being the only family-friendly movie through the holiday Golden week.

Given the super high anticipation and buzz, 200M is more likely than not.

• Like 5