Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Deadline: (this one is for you Henry and Purple Minion)

Illumination Entertainment’s Minions has opened No. 1 in 56 territories, and still has more landings to come. It is the highest-grossing animated film of the year; the highest grossing animated film of all-time in Latin America; the 4th-highest-grossing animated film internationally; and the 3rd-highest-grossing animated film worldwide.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

What the hell is wrong with some of us gringos ? It's genuinely starting to bother me that I didn't think this movie was very good or funny and went into it with a totally open mind and a pretty decent DM fan. I saw it a 2nd time with my little girl hoping I would get it this time, but felt,the same. I guess I need help. :-)

Cartoon Brew:

The summer of Minions is still going strong. Last weekend, the film grossed $12.5 million globally, boosting its worldwide total to $989.4 million and making it the third highest-grossing animated feature of all-time. Minions edged out the $987.5M gross of Disney’s The Lion King for the bronze glory.

The current top-10 animation grossers of all-time are:

1. Frozen (Disney): $1.27 billion
  2. Toy Story 3 (Pixar): $1.06 billion
  3. Minions (Illumination): $989.4 million
  4. The Lion King (Disney): $987.5 million
  5. Despicable Me 2 (Illumination): $970.8 million
  6. Finding Nemo (Pixar): $936.7 million
  7. Shrek 2 (DreamWorks): $919.8 million
  8. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Blue Sky): $886.7 million
  9. Ice Age: Continental Drift (Blue Sky): $877.2 million
  10. Shrek the Third (DreamWorks): $799 million

Minions is now set to become only the third animated film ever to reach $1 billion at the worldwide box office. The film’s last major market is China next month, which will propel Minions past Toy Story 3′s lifetime total and earn second-place for the yellow henchmen on the all-time list.

Love’em or hate’em, Minions is a remarkable accomplishment for Illumination Entertainment, which is just eight years old. The studio’s next film, The Secret Life of Pets, will be released in July 2016.

Edited by MinaTakla

DESPICABLE ME franchise is the only animated franchise with 2 spots in the top 5 animated films of all time!

Illumination is the now the ONLY movie studio outside DISNEY to have not just 1 but 2 films in the TOP 5 ANIMATED FILMS OF ALL TIME.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

New OS total: 677m (Screen Daily)

Universal Pictures International’s Jurassic World has grossed $987m, Trainwreck $21.2m, Minions $677m, Ted 2 $99.8m and Straight Outta Compton an early $300,000.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/ppi-eyes-further-gains-for-genisys/5092207.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

I was looking at the Ice Age and KFP numbers and one interesting comparison I found: while KFP is HUGE in Asia, it's not that popular in Europe or North America. Ice Age is HUGE in Europe and Latin America, while not that interesting in North America or Asia except China.

Minions is probably the only franchise, in addition to Frozen, that was HUGE in ALL CONTINENTS - Asia, Latin America, North America and Europe!

It goes like this:

Ice Age - Europe and Latin America only

KFP - Asia only

Frozen - worldwide: Europe, Latin America, Asia, North America

DM/Minions - worldwide: Europe, Latin America, Asia, North America

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

MINIONS OFFICIALLY HIT 1 BILLION DOLLARS WW!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-minions-crosses-818358

• First ever non-Disney animated film to do so!
  • Third animated film in HISTORY that reaches 1 billion!!
  • Will soon become the second highest animated film of ALL TIME behind FROZEN
  • The ONLY animated franchise to have 2 spots in the TOP 5 ANIMATED FILMS OF ALL TIME
  • The ONLY non-Disney animated franchise to score huge grosses in ALL CONTINENTS: Asia, North America, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East
  • Highest grossing animated franchise in the last 3 years
  • The highest ever animated franchise in terms of AVERAGE WW GROSS PER FILM: 800+ per film for 3 films, higher than Shrek and Ice Age
  • Illumination is now THE ONLY COMPANY in addition to DISNEY to have 2 films in the top 5 ANIMATED FILMS OF ALL TIME
  • Has a very good chance to become only the second animated film in history to cross 1.1 billion.
  • Highest animated film of the year Worldwide
  • Highest grossing/attended animated film ever in ARGENTINA, BRAZIL, MEXICO, RUSSIA, UAE, LITHUANIA, LATVIA, NETHERLANDS, ISRAEL and more.

bg64Fn4.png

By breaking 1 billion worldwide, Minions became the first ever non-Disney animated film to do so, the third animated film in history that reaches that mark, allowing the Despicable Me franchise to be the only animated franchise currently to have 2 spots in the top 5 highest grossing films of all time, with Illumination Entertainment becoming only the other studio (next to Disney) to have 2 films in the 5 highest grossing animated films of all time. The film achieved significant grosses in all continents: North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Australia – making it the only animated franchise, next to Frozen, to achieve sizable grosses in all these regions.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 4