baumer

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Grade Shawshank Redemption  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Shawshank Redemption

actually wasn't the Tommy guy in there just for stealing? So looks like they just threw many criminals together

this is one improvement over the book. They don't mention their crimes so you can just assume that Andy's group of friends might have been treated harshly in sentencing or something. Imagine how different the Brooks scene would be if people knew he had been in prison for murdering his wife and daughters. Most of the audience would have been "good riddance to bad rubbish" 

I think that you might not have noticed that the last word in the title is REDEMPTION. Red's arc is that he goes from someone who committed a heinous crime who saw his life ruined by hate and cynicism who, through the power of common human decency and the capacity to love his fellow man, comes to find hope in the world and REDEEMS his soul. He overcomes the hate and darkness that defined his previous life and becomes a better man through the power of good will and hope. That's literally like the whole point of the movie. No offense, I'm not gonna tell you why to like a movie or anything, but I don't see how you can be a huge fan of this movie and also NOT get that from it. It's like enjoying a burger without taste buds. 

I'm pretty sure that this was meant to be a DTV movie that somehow got released in the theaters. It's a by-the-numbers feel good movie, of the fluffy kind.

I think most of the blame can be attributed to Robins detached performance and annoyingly cliched score.

Shit was boring. 35/100

Edited by Goffe

The Shawshank Redemption is a fantastic work. There's not much to say about that hasn't already been said. The acting is consistently great, with not a bad performance in the entire ensemble and with Freeman and Robbins both giving one of the best performances of both their careers. The script is compelling, a rare time when voice-over really works. The ending is emotional in a way that sneaks up on you too. Deakins' cinematography is gorgeous as always, and Darabont's direction is understated but excellent. The Shawshank Redemption is a classic film that's well worth watching, and one that deserves its rather superb reputation. A+