The Panda

BOT's 100 Films from 100 Directors (Due May 9th)

First to clarify this isn't a top 100 directors list, it's closer to a top 100 films list, but with stricter stipulations.  The goal is to get BOT members to broaden their choices from their top few directors and franchises that tend to flood lists.

Rules

1.Make a list of your top 100 films, there technically are no rules on what films can be on your list, but there are rules on what films can make the official list so read those so you don't make a list that wastes your votes.

2.There will only be 1 film for a director on the official list.  This means if The Dark Knight gets the most amount of votes and Inception gets the second most amount of votes, it doesn't matter that Inception was technically #2, it doesn't make the list at all.

3.There will only be 1 film for each franchise on this list.  This means if Toy Story 3 gets the most amount of votes and Toy Story gets the second most amount of votes, it doesn't matter that Toy Story was technically #2, it doesn't make the list at all.

4.The franchise rule includes crossover universes, this means if Guardians of the Galaxy gets the most amount of votes and The Avengers gets the second most amount of votes, it doesn't matter that the Avengers was technically #2, it doesn't make the list at all.

5.The franchise rule includes reboots and remakes, this means if Batman is #1 and The Dark Knight is #2, it doesn't matter that The Dark Knight is technically #2, it doesn't make the list all.

When you make your list you need to list 100 films, if you list any less than 100 films your votes will count for half of what they would have (even if you only list 99).  Sure, I'll try and ask you a few times to add to your list, but for scoring purposes it isn't fair that somebody who only lists 10 films gets the same weight as somebody who took the time to send in a complete list.

Scoring goes

1- 100

2 - 99

3 - 98

etc.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused, are we only allowed to have one film per director on our own lists? You said the goal is to get people to broaden their choices, but that doesn't seem to be in the rules.

For example, am I allowed to list both The Dark Knight and Inception?

Or is this only affecting the final list that you put together.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused, are we only allowed to have one film per director on our own lists? You said the goal is to get people to broaden their choices, but that doesn't seem to be in the rules.

For example, am I allowed to list both The Dark Knight and Inception?

Or is this only affecting the final list that you put together.

You can put whatever you want on your list just know that say Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man can't both make the final list, you may put them both on your list though. That may be a waste of your points to do so but you can.

The goal is to get 100 films all from different directors and franchises.

• Like 1

You can put whatever you want on your list just know that say Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man can't both make the final list, you may put them both on your list though. That may be a waste of your points to do so but you can.

The goal is to get 100 films all from different directors and franchises.

Cool :) I think I will restrict myself to 1 director/1 franchise, will make it more interesting for me.

I'll try to get a list in soon.

I don't see what it accomplishes. It doesn't expand anyone's horizons. All it does is make sure that people don't vote for the best movies by a director, but rather pick between the most popular choices. An example is that only one Cameron film makes the list. The best Cameron film to me is Terminator 2:Judgment Day. But, voting for that is a waste of a vote, since it won't win. So I would need to vote to try to decide if I want Titanic or Avatar to be the Cameron representative.

With Spielberg, you're really voting between E.T., Jaws, or Jurassic Park to see which one represents Spielberg, even if you think the best Spielberg film is Minority Report.

With Nolan, the best film is Memento. But, a vote for it is a waste. The Dark Knight is the Nolan representative.

It just seems very convoluted to me. It penalizes any director who has made multiple great movies and rewards a director that has made 1 definite popular and great movie. It also means that you need to know which movies everyone else who is voting likes or you're just wasting your vote.

I don't see what it accomplishes. It doesn't expand anyone's horizons. All it does is make sure that people don't vote for the best movies by a director, but rather pick between the most popular choices. An example is that only one Cameron film makes the list. The best Cameron film to me is Terminator 2:Judgment Day. But, voting for that is a waste of a vote, since it won't win. So I would need to vote to try to decide if I want Titanic or Avatar to be the Cameron representative.

With Spielberg, you're really voting between E.T., Jaws, or Jurassic Park to see which one represents Spielberg, even if you think the best Spielberg film is Minority Report.

With Nolan, the best film is Memento. But, a vote for it is a waste. The Dark Knight is the Nolan representative.

It just seems very convoluted to me. It penalizes any director who has made multiple great movies and rewards a director that has made 1 definite popular and great movie. It also means that you need to know which movies everyone else who is voting likes or you're just wasting your vote.

Not necessarily, some movies like TDK get a lot of votes from a lot of people but not everyone has it as their favorite Nolan piece.

And it's not necessarily to push people to look at a directors lesser known films but to pick films that aren't the typical all Nolan, all toy story, all LOTR, all marvel, etc

Made a list, will send

I added a few rules for myself. A director only has two mentions in my list, a franchise only has two appearances, and most importantly that Panda hasn't mentioned, I limited myself to 5 a year so this isn't recent film domination. No 2015 films as well

Edited by Blankments

Made a list, will send

I added a few rules for myself. A director only has two mentions in my list, a franchise only has two appearances, and most importantly that Panda hasn't mentioned, I limited myself to 5 a year so this isn't recent film domination. No 2015 films as well

I really like the idea of 5 from a year, I'll add that into the rule for the final list (it won't impact how people make their lists).  

New Qualification For Final List

You can put how many films you want from a single year in your list, however in the final list no more than 5 films from a single year can make the cut.  This means if 5 2014 films have made the list and Grand Budapest is #6 from them and also makes the list by technicality, The Grand Budapest Hotel would not make the final list.

Here is my list

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Spielberg, 1981)
  2. Finding Nemo (Stanton, 2003)
  3. Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone, 1968)
  4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Jackson, 2003),
  5. The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont, 1994)
  6. Pan's Labyrinth (Del Torro, 2006)
  7. Lawrence of Arabia (Lean, 1962)
  8. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
  9. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (Gilliam and Jones, 1975)
  10. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
  11. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994)
  12. Boyhood (Linklater, 2014)
  13. Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942)
  14. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
  15. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
  16. 12 Angry Men (Lumet, 1957)
  17. It's a Wonderful Life (Capra, 1946)
  18. The Big Lebowski (Coen Bros, 1998)
  19. Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2002)
  20. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
  21. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
  22. The Great Dictator (Chaplin, 1940)
  23. The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner, 1980)
  24. Seven Samurai (Karusawa, 1954)
  25. Children of Men (Cuaron, 2006)
  26. Goodfellas (Scorsese, 1990)
  27. The Lion King (Minkoff and Allers, 1994)
  28. The Searchers (Ford, 1956)
  29. The Truman Show (Weir, 1998)
  30. Forrest Gump (Zemeckis, 1994)
  31. The Princess Bride (Reiner, 1987)
  32. Gladiator (Ridley Scott, 2000)
  33. Airplane! (Abrahams and Zucker Bros, 1980)
  34. Harvey (Koster, 1950)
  35. Grave of Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)
  36. Goldfinger (Hamilton, 1964)
  37. Planet of the Apes (Schaffner, 1968)
  38. Ghostbusters (Reitman, 1984)
  39. King Kong (1933)
  40. Glengarry Glenn Ross (Foley, 1992)
  41. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)
  42. Life of Pi (Ang Lee, 2012)
  43. One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest (Forman, 1975)
  44. Platoon (Stone, 1986)
  45. The Terminator (Cameron, 1984)
  46. Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan (Meyer, 1982)
  47. Up (Docter and Peterson, 2009)
  48. Dawn of the Dead (Romero, 1978)
  49. The Social Network (Fincher, 2010)
  50. Boogie Nights (PTA, 1997)
  51. City of God (Meirellis and Lund, 2002) 
  52. A Streetcar Named Desire (Kazan, 1951)
  53. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (Trey Parker, 1999)
  54. The Evil Dead (Raimi, 1981)
  55. Donnie Darko (Kelli, 2001)
  56. Animal House (Landis, 1978)
  57. The Sound of Music (Wise, 1965)
  58. Anatomy of Murder (Bass and Preminger, 1959)
  59. Patton (Schaffner, 1970)
  60. Beetlejuice (Burton, 1988)
  61. Halloween (Carpenter, 1978)
  62. Good Will Hunting (Sant, 1997)
  63. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Siegel, 1956)
  64. Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014)
  65. Beauty and the Beast (Wise and Trousdale, 1991)
  66. Singin' in the Rain (Donen and Kelly, 1952)
  67. Rosemary's Baby (Polanski, 1968)
  68. The Last of the Mohicans (Mann, 1992)
  69. The French Connection (Friedkin, 1971)
  70. The Matrix (Wachowskis, 1999)
  71. To Kill a Mockingbird (Mulligan, 1962)
  72. The Great Escape (Sturges, 1963)
  73. The Muppet Movie (Frawley, 1979)
  74. Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993)
  75. Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991)
  76. Braveheart (Gibson, 1995)
  77. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Selick, 1993)
  78. Young Frankenstein (Mel Brooks, 1974)
  79. Rain Man (Levinson, 1988)
  80. Mean Girls (Waters, 2004)
  81. Tangled (Greno and Howard, 2010)
  82. Her (Jonze, 2013)
  83. Amadeus (Forman, 1984)
  84. In the Heat of the Night (Jewinson, 1967)
  85. The Incredibles (Bird, 2004)
  86. Total Recall (Verhoeven, 1990)
  87. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
  88. Breakfast at Tiffany's (Edwards, 1961)
  89. Henry V (Olivier, 1944)
  90. Apollo 13 (Howard, 1995)
  91. Master and Commander (Weir, 2003)
  92. The Blair Witch Project (Sanchez and Myrick, 1999)
  93. Dances with Wolves (Costner, 1990)
  94. Memento (Nolan, 2000)
  95. Men in Black (Sonnenfeld, 1997)
  96. Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky, 2000)
  97. Aladdin (Clements and Musker, 1992)
  98. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (Verbinski, 2003)
  99. Nosferatu the Vampyre (Herzog, 1979)
  100. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)