CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers One | September 20, 2024 | Prequel | Paramount | Animated

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If bettlejuice having terrible finish at the presale to the point where people start doubting its 100m, only somehow had a nice come back with that surprise Saturday bump, TFone should have something similar. 

I am hoping for that, but it's highly unlikely at this stage. The stigma of the first trailer has unfortunately stuck, if our Telegram chat is any indication.

28 minutes ago, stripe said:

Beasts underperformed, though? I remember last year the 61M OW was seen as a surprise. Before that Summer, not many here thoght it would end over 150M DOM, aka 20M over The Last Knight.

Not doing much beyond $400M worldwide on a big $200M budget isn't great. The movie did show promise in its opening weekend, but it never truly caught on beyond that and eventually faded away through consistently mediocre holds.

15 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I am hoping for that, but it's highly unlikely at this stage. The stigma of the first trailer has unfortunately stuck, if our Telegram chat is any indication.

Not doing much beyond $400M worldwide on a big $200M budget isn't great. The movie did show promise in its opening weekend, but it never truly caught on beyond that and eventually faded away through consistently mediocre holds.

They really fucked up with that first trailer. I just hope this movie failing doesn’t cause Josh Cooley to leave. The only silver lining to this thing bombing is hopefully, paramount would finally realise they desperately need kick Lorenzo Di Bonaventura to the curb 

I’d agree with the sentiment that the Michael Bay Transformers movies were successful because they were made at just the right time. It helps that regardless of what you want to say about him, Michael Bay has a pretty distinct creative voice that shines through in all of his Transformers films, for better or worse. RotB made the mistake of trying to be a Michael Bay Transformers film without Michael Bay

Anyway, the Transformers movies have clearly been running on fumes since the fourth one, and I seriously doubt a crossover with a property that hasn’t been relevant since Reagan was President is going to change that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wattage said:

He has nothing to offer the franchise anymore imo. He started and made the style and saw it's massive heights and also its catastrophic fall off. I generally don't care for his Transformers movies outside of the first one that I actually really like and some of the third one that I enjoy a lot, but I can see his passion behind them through it all and his Bay-isms that make it fun. The Last Knight was just sad though, I don't know if he was bored with the franchise or what. I didnt follow the production on that so I don't know what happened there but it was noticable. If he's gonna come back and just do more of that it's gonna be more Rise of the Beasts level box office or worse. 

Transformers average DOM gross with Bay: $290m

Post Bay average: $145m

5 hours ago, stripe said:

Beasts underperformed, though? I remember last year the 61M OW was seen as a surprise. Before that Summer, not many here thoght it would end over 150M DOM, aka 20M over The Last Knight.

ROTB did okay domestic (still nothing compared to the earlier films), but flopped badly overseas, especially in China. It grossed less than Bumblebee OS and that was just a spinoff.

19 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Pony is pretty big in China, might also be a way to get that country back. Not conditioned to any live action renditions yet (thank god)

Didn’t the Sony leaks reveal that they wanted the MLP movie to be one of those “characters get sent to the real world” type of stories? Ironically, that might seem like a more attractive premise after the Barbie movie, and to a lesser extent, the first Sonic movie. 

33 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah and the last knight grossed the lowest domestic of all the movies before and since. Micheal Bay killed most of the potential the movies had after releasing one of the worst big budget films to come out of Hollywood in its history.

Bumblebee may have been a derivative of ET, and Rise of the Beasts may have had a lukewarm reception, but they were far better received both by critics and fans than anything Bay had done past the 2007 movie, and TFOne looks like it’ll join that group aswell. The series isn’t reeling because he isn’t here; it’s still recovering from the damage he did.

At this point though it sadly seems like the damage he did to the franchise might've been permanent. 

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

And this doesn't change that the movie that he directed was the nail in the coffin of the franchise. That wasn't just a small fall off it was catastrophic, as I said. If you're going to give him credit for the very big success of the franchise, which I did, then you need to equally assign him credit for it's very public fall off, which I also did.

Paramount had reason to believe, accurately, that that was a harbinger of doom for the live action films and tried to course correct. It's been shaky ground ever since for those films. But I think that if this new movie performs well, which I still have faith in, then they have a new path going forward. They can do animated and let the live action rest for a little while before starting that up again. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

At this point though it sadly seems like the damage he did to the franchise might've been permanent. 

It can always recover it'll just take time. I think animation still has a great chance the live action just needs a lot of breathing room. Give people time to miss it. 

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

ROTB did okay domestic (still nothing compared to the earlier films), but flopped badly overseas, especially in China. It grossed less than Bumblebee OS and that was just a spinoff.

not so much Bumblebee made $169M OS without China, ROTB made $190M OS without China, but if you are right that China was an underperformer ( $91M )

Edited by JD Asencio

I mean idk, the budget is the budget but Transformers is obviously way more than its box office grosses. If the audience reception is as enthusiastic as the critics I think this would be the kind of franchise you could afford to keep throwing money into even if it finishes at a loss on the cinema circuit.

• Like 1