The Panda

The Panda's Top 100 Animated Spectacular

Seeing how well many animated movies have been doing lately, as well as doing individual countdown lists, I decided I would do a countdown of my top 100 animated movies of all time.

First off here is a list of my 10 that just missed the list (in no particular order)

The Aristocrats

Monster House

Cars

Anastasia

The Black Cauldron

The Sword in the Stone

Rise of the Guardians

Ice Age

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Pocahantas

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

100postit.jpg

Brave

brave-trailer-31.jpg

"I'll be shooting for my own hand."

Animation Studio: Pixar

My Letter Grade: B

Fun For the Whole Family Rating (0 Toddler Fare, 10 South Park): 4.5

Nostaliga Rating (0-10): 0.5 Oh Yeah That Came Out 3 Years Ago

Heartstring Tugging Rating (0-10): 5.5 Emotionally Uplifting Scottish Accents and Music

Originality Rating (0-10): 1.5 Brother Mother Bear

Comedic Rating (0-10): 5 "Bare" Humor

Stand Out Animated Piece: Merida's Hair

Rotten Tomatoes: 78%

Notable Achievements: Robbed Wreck-It Ralph of an Oscar

Reasoning: Brave may be one of Pixar's weakest outings, but it's still full of entertainment value, and has a nice touch of depth even if there is much to be desired from the story.  The movie is a visual treat with some spectacular animation, especially in Merida's locks, and it has enough humor to get your laughs worth from a viewing or so.  The saddest thing about Brave though is it could have been a much better movie than what it was, it even had an exceptionally strong first act, however it faultered into decency afterwards.

• Like 3

384px-Virginia_99.svg.png

Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius

20020626022.jpg

"I don't know son, but if all your friends were named Cliff, would you jump off them too?  I don't think so!"

Animation Studio: Nickelodeon

My Letter Grade: B-

Fun For the Whole Family Rating (0 Toddler fare, 10 South Park): 3.5

Nostalgia Rating: 4.5 Think... Think...

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 2.5 Goddard's kind of cute

Originality Rating: 7.5 Chicken Dance Bonus Points

Comedic Rating: 6.5 Quite Quirky

Stand Out Piece of Animation: Nothing, the animation sucks in this movie (even if it is over 10 years old)

Notable Achievements: Oscar Nomination and spawned a hit TV Show

Reasoning: Jimmy Neutron is a fun animated flick that keeps the parents amused and the children smiling.  Although it could benefit from a higher animation quality, it doesn't lose its quirky charm and originality that makes it distinct from other animated movies.  There are some clever one liners that will warrant a chuckle for their originality, and each character compliments each other well.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267N2R9Ez5U

Windows98FirstEditionCover.jpg

The Hobbit

hobbit-77-bilbo-finds-the-ring-350x262.j

"I'm Mr. Bilbo Baggins, I've lost my dwarves, my wizard, and my way."

Animation Studio: ABC Video Enterprises

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 4

Nostalgia Rating: 6 Stupid, Nasty, Catchy Songs

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 3.5 Death of characters you don't care much about

Originality Rating: 2.5 Adaption

Comedic Rating: 4 Goblins singing gives a good laugh

Standout Piece of Animation: Mediocre artwork brought to half-life

Reasoning: While this isn't that much of a quality film, it's the best Hobbit film that we have (yup, it's easily better than those other three nasty hobbitses) and for that it's the prime way to watch the Hobbit until somebody makes a truly quality fan edit that cuts all of that bloat down to one movie like it should have been.  Not to mention, the songs are pretty catchy.

• Like 3

The Hobbit was actually made by Rankin-Bass. And it was made for TV, not theatrical, but this is your list, so whatever.

I couldn't remember the studio so I checked imdb, I believe you're correct on that though. And I'm counting made for TV movies as long as they're feature length (there aren't many though on here).

97.jpg

Robin Hood

Robin-Hood-disney-classics-24453413-500-

"Oh, Friar Truck.  It appears I now have an outlaw for an in-law."

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios

My Letter Grade: B

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5.5

Nostalgia Rating: 6.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 3.5

Originality Rating: 6 Humanoid Animals, clever right?

Comedic Rating: 6.5 

Standout Piece of Animation: Delightful Watercolors

Rotten Tomatoes: 

Notable Achievements: Oscar Nomination

Reasoning: Robin Hood is a clever, and exciting Disney flick that is often fairly underrated.  It continues a Disney trend of having some fun songs, it is highlighted with well-painted characters.  There's lots of fun to be had and it does quite a job at delivering the "stealing from the rich and giving to the poor" hero as a fun character for kids to enjoy.

• Like 6

Go_96.png

Watership Down

watershipdown_cgi.jpg

"Hazel, look... the field... it's covered with blood!"

Animation Studio: Nepenthe and Watership Productions

My Letter Grade: B+

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 8

Nostalgia Rating: 3.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 7

Originality Rating: 5.5

Comedic Rating: 4

Stand Out Piece of Animation: Picturebook moving critters

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

Notable Achievements: Won Saturn Award for Best Animation

Reasoning: Watership down is a sophisticated animated tale of rabbits, and although it isn't very sentimental (in fact I'd say it's the closest thing to animated horror film out there), it can be a very depressing picture to watch, and despite being an animated film about talking rabbits it isn't something I'd watch with a young child.  The opening in particular stands out for the film.  I do have to knock it down some for being able to be pretty boring at parts, and overall not the most likable of animated flicks (quite disturbing actually).  I will commend it for its honest and bruteness, those are rare in "children's" films.  Eerie, unapologetic and bloody, Watership Down works well as a film adaption of the "children's" book.

• Like 3

Go_96.png

Watership Down

watershipdown_cgi.jpg

"Hazel, look... the field... it's covered with blood!"

Animation Studio: Nepenthe and Watership Productions

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 8

Nostalgia Rating: 3.5

Originality Rating: 5.5

Comedic Rating: 4

Stand Out Piece of Animation: Picturebook moving critters

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

Notable Achievements: Won Saturn Award for Best Animation

Reasoning: Watership down is a sophisticated animated tale of rabbits, and although it isn't very sentimental (in fact I'd say it's the closest thing to animated horror film out there), it can be a very depressing picture to watch, and despite being an animated film about talking rabbits it isn't something I'd watch with a young child.  The opening in particular stands out for the film.  I do have to knock it down some for being able to be pretty boring at parts, and overall not the most likable of animated flicks (quite disturbing actually).  I will commend it for its honest and bruteness, those are rare in "children's" films.  Eerie, unapologetic and bloody, Watership Down works well as a film adaption of the "children's" book.

I remember seeing that movie when I was like 7, thinking it would be a nice animated film about rabbits, all I can really remember is that the animals were at war with each other or something, it is was bloody, and really really scary :P

• Like 3

lightning-mcqueen-clip-art-lightning-mcq

James and the Giant Peach

James_And_the_Giant_Peach_movie_image-2.

"I don't know. Just get the biggest crane in New York!"

Animation Studio: Skellington Productions

Fun For the Whole Family: 5.5

Nostalgia Rating: 4

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 3.5

Originality Rating: 7

Stand Out Animation: Stellar Stopmotion

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Notable Achievements: Nominated For 1 Oscar

Reasoning:  James and the Giant Peach is incredibly inventive in its animation, and it has a great sense of comedic value for the whole family.  Although it isn't my favorite stopmotion movie and isn't all that memorable in the end, it stands the test of time fairly well.  And sense im playing catch up I don't really have much more to say about this.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

zEY2sLS0.png

Treasure Planet

Treasure%20Planet.jpg

"That was more fun than I ever want to have again."

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5

Nostalgia Rating: 7.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 5.5

Originality Rating: 6.5

Standout Animation: Awesome Space Sequences

Rotten Tomatoes: 68%

Notable Achievement: Nominated for an Oscar

Reasoning: While Treasure Planet may not be Disney's most glowing outing, I find it endearingly charming and hard not to like.  It's a fun adventure tale that works great for the whole family.  On a technical scale it's gorgeous to watch and holds up well to this day.  I understand the main gripes about the movie and would most likely agree with them, it doesn't make the film any less fun than it is though.  Plus, Space Pirates are always a win.

• Like 2

number_93_football_sticker-reb4f6104b1e1

The Princess and the Frog

106.jpg

"You just kissed yourself a princess."

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studio

My Grade: B+

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 4.5

Nostalgia Rating: 2.5

Originality Rating: 2.5

Stand Out Animation: A Return to Classic Disney Form

Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

Notable Achievement: Nominated for 3 Oscars

Reasoning: The Princess and the Frog was the movie that people overlook when talking about what got Disney back on track recently, it returned to their classic watercolor artform, and it brought the first princess of ethnicity.  The New Orleans setting is fun, especially with the jazz themed musical numbers.  While, it's not Disney's best, it's certainly a commendable and honest effort.

• Like 5

92-RW.jpg

Megamind

1642022-megamind2.jpg

"Funny. I guess destiny isn't the path chosen for us, but the path we chose for ourselves."

Animation Studio: Dreamworks Animation

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5

Nostalgia Rating: 2.5

Originality Rating: 6.5 It's a Bird, no it's a plane, no it's a... Dead Metro Man? 

Comedic Rating: 7

Animation Quality (I'm switching to this because I find it'll work better): 8.5

Rotten Tomatoes: 72%

Notable Achievements: 6 Annie Nominations

Reasoning: This is a movie that I feel like would have gotten much better reception had a certain (and in my opinion better...Oops) Despicable Me hadn't have came out right before it.  It plays out to a lot of the same beats, except I will say Megamind certainly had more animated balls than Despicable Me did.  It (nearly) killed off the big Superman like figure within the opening and left an exciting field to play around in and clever enough plot twists.  I probably gave the movie a bit too much baggage above there, because it has a great sense of humor, and in a way finds a way to stick to conventionality while breaking off of it at the same time.  I enjoyed all of the pokes at the superhero genre given that I find it an incredibly annoying one in cinema these days (Yes, I love certain comic books movies, but the genre as a whole is fairly lacking).  Megamind has some gorgeous animation from Dreamworks, who are often underlooked for how well they've made some of their movies look, and holds up well enough.  If/When I ever have kids, this is certainly a movie I'd pop in to watch and enjoy with them.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

i-love-91-130960931623.png

Beowulf

1633255_orig.jpg

" I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night.  Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power!  I AM BEOWULF!"

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 9

Nostalgia Rating: 4.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 4

Originality Rating: 5.5

Comedic Rating: 3.5

Animation Quality: 8.5 WoW Cinematics Better Watch Out

Rotten Tomatoes: 71%

Notable Achievements: Nominated for Best Animated Feature from Critics Choice Awards

Reasoning: It plays out like a wildly, overlong video game cinematic, and it's wickedly entertaining all for it (especially in 3D).  It is exactly what 300 should have been if 300 was anywhere close to being an actual good movie (Which it isn't close to).  Yes, it's definitely not the most faithful adaption of the epic, but any faithful adaption of that epic out there is quite boring so Zemeckis made a good choice in spicing his adaption up a bit.  There is a load of spectacle to keep you aroused and awake, but there's still a lot more in this movie that is a "could have been great" than what is actually great.  Needless to say, I hope filmmakers try out adult animation like Beowulf again, it was a fantastic experiment.

ph-90-years-of-braun.jpg

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

A-Charlie-Brown-Thanksgiving-image-1.jpg

"You're holding my hand, Chuck, you sly dog."

Fun for the Whole Family Rating: 5.5

Nostalgia Rating: 8.5 Thanksgiving Tradition

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 5.5

Originality Rating: 4.5

Comedic Rating: 6

Animation Quality: 5.5

Notable Achievements: Won 1 Primetime Emmy

Reasoning: Nothing screams holiday tradition like a Charlie Brown holiday special, and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is no different.  It has everything that you'd love about a Peanuts movie, just throw in the Thanksgiving holiday spirit.  It's a movie you watch with tradition and nostaliga, and is able to keep its charm throughout the ages.  While, it isn't the strongest of the Peanuts movies, it still serves its purpose to a delight.  (And yes, I know putting a TV short on here is kind of cheating, but it's Charlie Brown so I'll let it slide)

• Like 1