The Panda

The Panda's Top 100 Animated Spectacular

The biggest fault is with the story itself, the more you think about it, the more the message of the whole thing probably won't help that rebellious 8 year old learn anything

The story being problematic is just a pseudo intellectual running gag that has gone on too long in pop-culture. For every interpretation of "Giving up her voice for a vagina", there is a trans teen analogy of being trapped in your body and world with none of your loved ones being able to relate. A more legit interpretation IMO as both the writer of the original tale and the co-writer/lyricist/composer of the film were LGBT.

Also, a father finally learning to accept the fact that his daughter needs to be set free and that he won't be able to forever control/protect her is one of the realest and least candy flossed messages offered up by a Disney film. 

• Like 2

US-waste.jpg

Despicable Me

despicable-me-1024.jpg

"Knocked... OVER!"

Animation Studio: Illumination

My Letter Grade: A-

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 8

Nostalgia Rating: 5.5

Originality Rating: 7.5

Comedic Rating: 8.5

Animation Quality: 7

Misc. Highlight: Slapstick with a heart

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

Notable Achievements: Spawned a massive franchise

Reasoning: This is one I will likely get a bit of slack on, especially since the dreaded Minions is fresh in most people's memory.  However, I will argue heavily for the first Despicable Me (And not the franchise as a whole) as a very clever, hilarious, and even heartwarming adventure that both adults and kids can love together.  There's s reason the franchise struck gold, and it's all because of the greatness of the original.  Despicable Me has everything its sequels lack, except for slapstick humor, and while it's most definitely a story told before, it's told in such a clever and funny way you simply don't care.  The animation quality isn't the strongest, but it's certainly not the weakest either, especially for a low budget.  Despicable Me is such a worthy franchise starter, it's a shame the other two films couldn't strike the heart and creativity that made the first so great in the first place.

• Like 4

happy-birthday-nhs.jpg

The Fox and the Hound

the-fox-and-the-hound-image-2.jpg

"And we'll always be friends forever. Won't we?"

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios

My Letter Grade: A-

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 9

Nostalgia Rating: 8

Originality Rating: 5.5

Comedic Rating: 6.5

Animation Quality: 7.5

Misc. Highlights: More tears than Mufasa dying

Rotten Tomatoes: 69%

Notable Achievements: Being the one of (if not) the most underrated Disney film of all time.

Reasoning: There are many great Walt Disney films, many of them are great fun and entertaining, but there are a select few that really manage to tug your heartstrings as much as The Fox and The Hound.  The Fox and the Hound is often overlooked when talking about some of Disney's strongest films, and it's understandable because there are plenty of flaws in the movie, and the overall story is one that's been told many times before.  But then again, most Disney films really are re-tellings of classic stories, so it's hard to hold that against it.  For everything it does great, there are a few things that it could do better, but everything that it does great is just really that, great.  It may be a cutesy film on the outside, but it's a relevant plot of two friends raised by parents to hate the other, their innocence overlooks this until they grow older and change because of how society expects them to be.  It's a film about departure and goodbyes, and one of the only Disney films that doesn't truly have the "Happily Ever After" type of ending.  The Fox and the Hound stands out enough to be able to make up for the faults it may have.

• Like 7

68_1_L.gif

The Little Mermaid

image_3211c2a6.jpeg

"Hm. Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch, they swim all over you."

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios

My Letter Grade: B+

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 5

Nostalgia Rating: 7.5

Originality Rating: 3

Comedic Rating: 7.5

Animation Quality: 8

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Reasoning: The Little Mermaid was the revival of the Disney we all knew and loved, and it brought Disney back in a brighter and more grand form than ever.  Alan Menken does some of his best work with not only the catchy and eternal songs, but the score itself, they both compliment each other so well that it really places a conventional Disney film on a whole other level.  Ursula is perhaps one of the most exciting of the Disney villains (and most definitely was to this point), and the film is alive and full of life with the animation and music behind it.  The biggest fault is with the story itself, the more you think about it, the more the message of the whole thing probably won't help that rebellious 8 year old learn anything, that doesn't mean the film isn't a boat load of fun though.  The Little Mermaid is and was Disney restored again.

Way too low.