Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 8

Nostaliga Rating: 6.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 7.5

Originality Rating: 7

Comedic Rating: 5.5

Animation Quality: 6.5

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Notable Achievements: Nominated for an Oscar

Reasoning: The Illusionist is an adult centered animation that plays the tight strings of heart pulling and somewhat nostalgic.  It plays as a pretty much silent comedy, although I'd say the humor aspect was lacking a bit, but all of that is made up for in the sincerity of it all.  I'll be honest, I do think it stole the Oscar nomination from some better contenders (at least I liked them better), but I will give the Illusionist a good deal of credit for trying to craft an artistic animated piece, something that is often lacking from modern animations.  The Illusionist does a great deal to try to bring a little bit of magic to life in its picture.

Edited by The Panda

polls_200px_Bundesstra_C3_9Fe_88_number.

Frankenweenie

Frankenweenie-post-22.jpg

" They like what science gives them, but not the questions, no. Not the questions that science asks."

My Letter Grade: B

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5.5

Nostalgia Rating: 4.5

Originality Rating: 3.5 1984 Short Rehash

Comedic Rating: 7

Animation Quality: 7.5

Rotten Tomatoes: 87%

Notable Achievements: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Reasoning: While, Frankenweenie may just be a long version rehash of the 1984 short by Tim Burton, it still stands as a nice bit of entertainment and there's lots of enjoyment to be had.  The script is neatly written, and the animation engages viewers in an exciting, heartwarming "horror" tale of the dog brought back to life.  The movie has a lot of love put into it, and it's very evident in each shot, which is partly why I've put it a bit higher than it might deserve.  Frankenweenie is quite possibly the most enjoyable and probably also quality film Burton has made in a long time.  Frankenweenie is a solid cinematic treat.

$T2eC16V,!yUE9s6NEld+BQ69mpoSIg~~60_35.J

Chicken Run

Chicken-Run-chicken-run-30730231-1024-76

"Pushy Americans, always showing up late for every war. Overpaid, oversexed, and over here."

Animation Studio: Aardman Productions

My Letter Grade: B+

Nostalgia Rating: 5.5

Originality Rating: 7.5

Comedic Rating: 7.5

Animation Quality: 7

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

Notable Achievements: Nominated for 1 Golden Globe

Reasoning: I'll be honest, while I do find Chicken Run to be a quality picture (as do I find a lot of Aardman films to be), I am really not that big on it, just like I am not a huge fan of any of Aardman's films.  It could just be because I'm not a huge fan of stop-motion animation, but there's been quite a few that have stuck out to me, I am not sure what it is (sense they aren't really at major fault), it just doesn't click well as something I enjoy.  However, Chicken Run has a great script, I did find it quite funny, it is well-crafted and filmed, is great stop-motion, and it has a great dose of originality.  Many others would put this much higher than I am right now, but many others just aren't me.

• Like 4

Number-86.jpg

Happy Feet

happy-feet-2-two-007.jpg

"Man, how're we gonna tell his mama he brought us all the way out here just to kill himself?"

Animation Studio: Warner Bros

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5.5 Mad Max?  More Like, Happy Max

Animation Quality: 8

Rotten Tomatoes: 75%

Notable Achievements: Won Best Animated Picture

Reasoning: Brought to you by the director of the Mad Max  franchise, is George Miller's animated "masterpiece" Happy Feet, full of dancing and songs galore.  It's a great visual treat, with a great sense of style and animated quality.  It is clever in how it's written, and has a much needed environmentalist overtone to it all.  I think the biggest problem is that the film does tend to drag the longer it goes one, which is what keeps it from being able to really soar, and really make an impact on the viewer, but it still never loses its animated wonder and sense of charm.  Happy Feet is overall a great delight.

• Like 3

FI_85_200.gif

Big Hero 6

Baymax.jpg

"Balalalala"

Animation Studio: Walt Disney Animation Studios

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 4.5

Nostalgia Rating: 6

Heart String Tugging Rating: 8

Originality Rating: 2

Comedic Rating: 7.5 Balalalala

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

Notable Achievements: Won Oscar for Best Animated Picture

Reasoning: Big Hero 6 is a very charming, although quite familiar, animated piece that does a great job at bringing heavy issues to light for children, while also padding them to make them light enough for the child to deal with and grasp.  While, the movie can often follow many of the superhero origin cliches, many of the great moments come in the not-so-heroic scenes that deal with the personal relationship Hiro builds with Baymax (so I may be in disagreement with others in thinking that I wanted more Hiro and Baymax and less of the annoying other 4).  Big Hero 6 definitely follows conventionality and is very predictable, it still manages to be heartwarming and lovable at the same time, especially in the Baymax character.  The movie is also flawed because Immortals is a really awful song, and by awful I mean really terrible, it makes the entire training scene cringe worthy.  Big Hero 6 is wonderfully animated and deserved the Oscar out of what was nominated (because a certain animated masterpiece was snubbed).

• Like 5

Number-86.jpg

Happy Feet

happy-feet-2-two-007.jpg

"Man, how're we gonna tell his mama he brought us all the way out here just to kill himself?"

Animation Studio: Warner Bros

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 5.5 Mad Max?  More Like, Happy Max

Rotten Tomatoes: 75%

Notable Achievements: Won Best Animated Picture

Reasoning: Brought to you by the director of the Mad Max  franchise, is George Miller's animated "masterpiece" Happy Feet, full of dancing and songs galore.  It's a great visual treat, with a great sense of style and animated quality.  It is clever in how it's written, and has a much needed environmentalist overtone to it all.  I think the biggest problem is that the film does tend to drag the longer it goes one, which is what keeps it from being able to really soar, and really make an impact on the viewer, but it still never loses its animated wonder and sense of charm.  Happy Feet is overall a great delight.

Happy Feet is one of my least favorite films of all time. not quite as awful as The Polar Express, but still pretty bad.

Great work btw, can tell you put a ton of work into these write ups.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

84-number.jpg

Paprika

paprika-02.jpg

"the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes."

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 10

Nostalgia Rating: 2.5

Originality Rating: 9 Inception meets Black Swan before either movie existed

Comedic Rating: 2

Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Reasoning: Paprika is an adult oriented, r rated animated film, that manages to bend your mind on reality and dreams.  It's more of a trip than Black Swan and Inception put together, and it takes multiple viewings to really get a handle at each plot point that happens within the film.  Because of this the film can become a bit of a mess script wise, but it's just so dang imaginative that it's hard to to be entranced, especially since I am always lenient to animations that have the balls to be adult oriented entertainment (even if it is Japanese anime).  Paprika is a visual treat for the eye, and a nice jog for the mind.

• Like 2

$(KGrHqZ,!iQE86sWZr0rBPPRLCyl0!~~60_35.J

The Emperor's New Groove

8109_4.jpg

"Oh, it's not the first time I was tossed out of a window, and it won't be the last. What can I say? I'm a rebel."

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 4

Heart String Tugging Rating: 7.5

Nostalgia Rating: 6.5

Originality Rating: 5

Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

Notable Achievements: Nominated For 1 Oscar

Reasoning: The Emperor's New Groove is a solid addition to Disney's long line up, and has a beautiful setting in which it takes place in.  The film is full of humor and it provides a strong, and easy to grasp message for the little ones.  Pacha is able to pull at your heart a bit with his honesty and noble stature as a peasant farmer.  The film never treads on to long, and it keeps a well-mannered pace that keeps the plot rolling and interesting.  While, there isn't anything overly special about the movie, it's over all very consistent and one of Disney's more underrated films.

• Like 3

gallery_8833131_841_21102.jpg

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Many-Adventures-of-Winnie-t.jpg

"Yeah, that icky, sticky stuff is only fit for heffalumps and woozles."

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 2.5

Heartstring Tugging Rating: 6.5

Nostalgia Rating: 8.5

Originality Rating: 6

Comedic Rating: 6

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Notable Achievements: A Fondly Remembered Pooh Bear

Reasoning: While, the older you get the harder it gets to watch Winnie the Pooh and still watch it as endearingly as you did as a child, it's hard not get nostalgic when thinking back to the time you spent watching Pooh and his friends in the Hundred Acre Woods.  That is what put this film on the list for me.  That's not to say it isn't a quality film, the water colors come right out of a story book and the whole thing is magical in a sense.  The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a faithful and nostalgic collection of shorts about this little old bear.

• Like 5

16392_lg.jpg

The Lion King 1 1/2

MV5BMTUzNzA1ODQ2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODY3

"Shall we run for our lives?"

Heart String Tugging Rating: 6

Nostalgia Rating: 7.5 and 1/2

Originality Rating: 7

Animation Quality: 6

Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

Notable Achievements: Being in the shadow of something great

Reasoning: No, this sequel in no way soars to the heights of it's predecessor, but it's Disney, what'd you expect?  In fact, this is quite possibly the best sequel Disney was able to produce for their animations (even if it is a straight to dvd one).  It is able to recapture some of the nostalgic magic of the first one through the eyes of the two comedic sidekicks, Timon and Pumba, and takes you on quite a fun little journey.  Yes, it can be a little juvenile, but at the same time it is still able to keep a good sense of humor.  The Lion King 1 1/2 is creative and original, managing to serve as both a fun prequel and sequel at the same time.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

2000px-Speed_limit_80_sign.svg.png

Hercules

Hercules-and-Meg-disney-couples-6008947-

"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this. Have a nice day."

My Letter Grade For It: B+

Fun For the Whole Family Rating: 4.5

Heart String Tugging Rating: 4.5

Originality Rating: 6.5

Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Notable Achievements: Nominated For 1 Oscar and finishing at 99m domestic

Reasoning: Hercules is another one of Disney's animations that is often underlooked for the gem that it really is.  Hercules is packed to the brim with humor and fun references, the music numbers are some of Disney's most fun, and it keeps a bright tone and quick pace to the very end, serving as great form of entertainment to watch with the whole family.  Yes, it lacks a lot more of the maturity of Disney's better pictures, but not every film needs it.  Hercules succeeds on its own as a fun-filled take on a classic tale.

• Like 5

$(KGrHqZ,!iQE86sWZr0rBPPRLCyl0!~~60_35.J

The Emperor's New Groove

8109_4.jpg

"Oh, it's not the first time I was tossed out of a window, and it won't be the last. What can I say? I'm a rebel."

Heart String Tugging Rating: 7.5

Originality Rating: 5

Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

Notable Achievements: Nominated For 1 Oscar

Reasoning: The Emperor's New Groove is a solid addition to Disney's long line up, and has a beautiful setting in which it takes place in.  The film is full of humor and it provides a strong, and easy to grasp message for the little ones.  Pacha is able to pull at your heart a bit with his honesty and noble stature as a peasant farmer.  The film never treads on to long, and it keeps a well-mannered pace that keeps the plot rolling and interesting.  While, there isn't anything overly special about the movie, it's over all very consistent and one of Disney's more underrated films.

I'd almost go as far as to say this is the most underrated Disney film of them all (Lilo and Stitch also comes to mind though).

This was so unexpectedly funny and the way it played with tropes and 4th wall breaking was all a lot of fun and quite clever too.

• Like 2

I'd almost go as far as to say this is the most underrated Disney film of them all (Lilo and Stitch also comes to mind though).

This was so unexpectedly funny and the way it played with tropes and 4th wall breaking was all a lot of fun and quite clever too.

I agree, Emperor's New groove is hilarious and possibly my most quoted Disney animated film. definitely in my top 10 favorite Disney films.

Edited by Kalo

At least Immortals is better than Shut Up and Drive

I can't believe we have both Rihanna and Fall Out Boy in Disney movies.

Why don't they get original songs? Maybe Immortals was original actually? Idk.

But Shut Up and Drive I was really disappointed in.

Still love Wreck It Ralph though.