K1stpierre

Paper Towns (2015)

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

It's quite enjoyable. Good performances all round. Overhearing people leaving the theatre and it seemed like the target audience really loved it.

The two leads, Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne, were quite good.  With all her upcoming roles it will be interesting to see how her career progresses.  

I haven't read any of his books.

It's quite enjoyable. Good performances all round. Overhearing people leaving the theatre and it seemed like the target audience really loved it.

The two leads, Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne, were quite good. With all her upcoming roles it will be interesting to see how her career progresses.

I haven't read any of his books.

Have you seen TFIOS? How would it compare to it as dar as quality?

I liked the movie quite a bit, as long as I didn't think too much about it.  The book must have explained things a lot better because I'm not sure how Margo could do most of the things she does in this movie.  Her disappearance and subsequent appearance in her small town is kind of baffling.  Not sure how she would get the money to do it all.  But if I don't think about it, the movie is quite well done.  There's an obvious theme here about grasping life while you're young because when you get older your soul kind of dies.  There's a lot of John Hughes homage in here and it works well.  

The film is also blessed with great performances by everyone.  My favourite story here, besides the Margo and Quentin was that of Ben and Lacey.  I recognized Ben (Austin Abrams) from Kings of Summer and he was very good in there (it's also a really good movie) and Lacey, who I recognized from Neighbors, both have some really good lines and scenes here.  Ben is played strictly for laughs and Lacey is the hot girl who wants to be known for being known as more than the hot girl.  They have some nice scenes together.

I'm a sucker for coming of age films and while this is not one of the best I've seen, it's one of the very good ones.

7/10

• Like 3

For the most part it was enjoyable but logically made little sense. I actually found the middle portion (road trip) to the best part. I actually didn't have much sympathy for Margot if only because it came off as first world problems with what she was dealing with. Perhaps her parents were jack asses but come on, to leave without saying a word is just cold. Even colder leaving these elaborate clues though in fairness, I too would be surprised if someone went to that extent to actually follow them. Still, I didn't care for her though it wasn't Cara Delevigne's fault.

Still, I did kind of like the movie and the other characters and I agree with Baumer, there is a tinge of John Hughes in there.

***/*****, (C+, 6.2/10, 2.5/4)