Gopher

Tuesday #s: MI5 4.5 F4 2.9 Minions 1.8 Gift 1.75 Ant-Man 1.55 (Shaun 1)

And for Captain Craig...

Ant-Man    $1,519,440    39%    2,910    -412    $522    $150,134,264    4  

Crossed the mark a day ahead of schedule! 

Working from memory I think this is it's highest Mon to Tue Discount bump %-wise. 

ASTONISHING!!!!

It does seemingly ~ 15% better than the pro's said it will do, that makes it 'good' for my POV. Not extreme... very very good, but - simply - good.

Strange, I've not seen one post from you about it, that did not sound like it's 'not good', no matter how good a single days performance was.

But a lot of high praising for another movie with - till now - nearly the same performance-to-day-in-release.

I think MI5 will do at least this week a bit better from now on, as - in relation to it's time in release - it has less direct competition IMHO

Take a look at that:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Ant-Man/Mission-Impossible-Rogue-Nation

and that

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-07-28&track=antman.htm

Compare it to gophers early estimates.... and yesterday's MI5 performance of $3,315,825 = 11th day in Ant-Man was 'better', 12 day in MI5 looks like to end better.....

How MI5s 'next week' (meant: starting with the OWs numbers for the upcoming movies) will look like... first let's see how the new releases will really get preceived by which sort (age, gender,...) of the audience....

Double standards?

Btw, MI5s budget is seemingly $20m higher, has a few more well known names involved... or how IM4 looks like to be still a better success than IM5 will probably reach (ignoring the fact of that one haven gotten a x-mas release date and also OS details and...) people who seek for something like that could get the idea or find reasons to tweak.... to imply MI5's run is 'disappointing' too = IMHO not correct neither, only to remind you about: there are many ways to look at and interprete datas.

Especially the x-Mas detail... is here IMHO rather simply to see

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Ant-Man/Mission-Impossible-Rogue-Nation/Mission-Impossible-IV/Captain-America

Think about that:

Marvel (not Disney) budget descisions seem a bit depending on expectations too, only 2 movies got a budget of 'only' under $150m, CA 1 (2011 $140m) and Ant-Man = $130m. Iron Man 2 (doing with a ww $623.9m less than Thor 2 did!) + IM 3 e.g. each got a budget of $200m...

Do you really believe they expected it to be a 'big-hitter' as in exploding?

Be also aware about OS numbers follow other rules for part 2 or part 3... of a movie series of the same name than in NA

= no matter how high Ant-Man might end ww, it should end a lot deeper than IM5 should theoretically end.

Dude, it's a Marvel film. It's doing CA/Thor numbers. Average. Only good for people who thought it would do less. CA and Thor did ok, not good. I haven't said anything good about AM, haven't said anything bad either. Its run is so predictable that it's not even fun to track. The film itself was good IMO which could lead to a nice increase for the sequel, so I'm sure that Disney is happy with these ok numbers. As of double standards, MI5 is a superior film, will do at least 15-20m more than AM domestic and will double its OS tally, so don't even know why you're comparing the two, especially that MI5 is a sequel, so have a clear advantage.

New F4 projection:

Wed 1.8m(-39%)

Thu 1.5m (-15%)

Fri 2.6m(+73%)

Sat 3.6m(+38%)

Sun 2.4m(-33%)

8.6m (-66.5%)

So slightly over my original 65% high end drop. But Friday is still far under Tues in this scenario, something that didn't occur to TMNT last year when opening at the same time of year. So I still think I might be factoring in bad WOM too much here and under 65% drop is still in play. We'll see.

• Like 1

Dude, it's a Marvel film. It's doing CA/Thor numbers. Average. Only good for people who thought it would do less. CA and Thor did ok, not good. I haven't said anything good about AM, haven't said anything bad either. Its run is so predictable that it's not even fun to track. The film itself was good IMO which could lead to a nice increase for the sequel, so I'm sure that Disney is happy with these ok numbers. As of double standards, MI5 is a superior film, will do at least 15-20m more than AM domestic and will double its OS tally, so don't even know why you're comparing the two, especially that MI5 is a sequel, so have a clear advantage.

1. not a 'dude'

2. And? What has the studio anything to do with BOs? 'Demanding' a certain minimum from one studio makes no sense to me at all, even less when not demanding the same from others.

3. disagree, especially as the budget is smaller, and Ant-Man has IMHO also other 'disadvanteges' as stated already the last few weeks.

I strongly disagree about using the term 'average' in that situation also.

I guess you meant to say average for a MCU movie, but forgot to point that out.

If a movie series would be based on the same character's story..., with no change of genres/genre-mixes, the same famous or not so famous actors involved / directors too, source material the same kind of all from humor to successful as prints to whatever.... advertising campains, and... then maybe.

But as Marvel is a rather young studio, who seem to aim for differing genre-mixes, release months,....

there is simply not enough similar enough data for any real comparison, let alone even a 'BO-comparison-rating'

4. your formulations are IMHO not neutral or I wouldn't have twice posted some details already.

Only good for people who thought it would do less... the average here thought was the reality showed as ~ matching to Ant-Man's real numbers, the pros thought so too, only a few here (seemingly including you) and rather short-time-before-release articles pushed up forecasts... expected more = the minority.

= Only not good for a (loud?) minority

It seems to end 15% above dom expectations, will get a budget-to-ww-MP of ~ 3 to 3.5 (I guess) and that would be good IMHO.

5. maybe for you, I have fun to track it, compare it's detail e.g. with MI5 and so on.

6. so predictable... too many were near hysterics as it got released and a few (IMHO incl you) seem to be rather insistent on presenting it IMHO in a wrongly way.

IMHO double standard as e.g.  MI5 costs more, has more well known actors, uses a well known title, had a good resulting MI4 with good WOM beforehand... 

= a nearly identical run for now, still one you call not good the other very good

= for me both are good, but not very good with their results.

'Superior blabla' doesn't count for me, especially if a thread is about general BO, for that the reviews sub-forum is IMHO the place to use terms like 'that' - and I'd still wouldn't use that term as I strongly dislike such terms in general, too often it gets used for usually IMHO way too biased 'reviews' and other negative situations, see history.

And why even try to compare the 'quality' of movies out of differing genres? Makes again no sense to me at all.

I do like to look into the MCU movies as they tend to film at Pinewood and that means for Pinewood-UK public records for tons of details other studios hold usually in secrect....

I pick each year at least 2 movies for an indepth worldwide analysis incl changes in advertising methods, tax laws, production details/methods..., last year e.g. GotG. Based on that I know still a bit about this years MCU movies and so on... too

I haven't done an indepth this year

only to make it clear:

I like the most MCU movies, but not all of them, for me there is a difference between liking and loving a movie

I haven't even seen Ant-Man yet = I'm probably not what you might call an MCU 'fan' (I am a movie business / BO ww fan)

Dr. Strange is at his best when he is explaining the unexplainable to those in the middle of the action(Like Spidey or Cap) and providing them with a means to overcome something they simply cannot fathom. I just don't think he can be a linchpin of the MCU other than in that role. Other than his origin story, I don't think he is a very relatable character to the average Joe(or Jo), especially after he becomes "sorcerer supreme". A film to set him up is fine since his origin is intriguing, other than that, he should fulfill the role I stated above and not much more than that.

And who was saying Iron Man could be the lynchpin of the MCU before 2008?

If Dark movies like SUICIDE SQUAD and BvsS manage to sustain an audience like MARVEL does, I'll be impressed  since both will not be family friendly at all..

TDK and TDKR grossed close to $1B DOM.

There is room for darker comic book movies.

Edited by Clef Ment