eddyxx

What are the best opening scenes in the Horror genre?

I'm rewatching Scream and this has to be one of the best opening scenes to a film let alone a horror film ever. The score is magnificient and the tension is high. That made me wonder what other horror films have great opening scenes? Off the top of my head

Scream

28 weeks later

Dawn of the Dead remake

Let Me In remake maybe just on tone and score alone?

Jeepers Creepers 2

The Hills Have Eyes remake

Friday the 13th Part 6 Jason Lives(I haven't seen this since the mid 90s so I could be wrong)

I don't have a huge horror film library so I'm sure some of you like Baumer will have a way better list than mine so lets hear them.

Jaws was the first movie that leaps to mind for me as well. That opening shark attack is considered a classic movie moment for a reason. While we're talking about Spielberg, I think the opening raptor kill in Jurassic Park is often fairly overlooked as well.

As for full on horror movies, though...

Night of the Demon

Halloween

Trick R' Treat

Suspiria

Black Christmas (1974)

Don't Look Now

The Changling (1980)

(I'll admit the last two are more tragic than terrifying though, but you said 'best' not 'scariest'.)

• Like 2

The opening to the original 'When a Stranger Calls' is really scary, shame about the rest of the movie. 'When a Stranger Calls Back' is a TV movie (not really) sequel which also has a scary opening.

I think the opening to Scream 2 is as good as the first.

Edited by ddddeeee