Heathers (1988)

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Interesting movie, I watched this blindly and I thought it was going to be more like Mean Girls and Clueless and the movie is much darker film.  Over all I liked the movie and I would be will to seen it again. The acting was good and the characters were interesting. 

In many ways the realization tied to the ridiculousness of high school is acquired concept.  Given a bird's eye view, nothing really seems to be that off.  You go to school, hang out with your friends, and prepare yourself for the next step in life whether that by college, work, etc.  It is only after years of reflection that the absurdity of it all becomes readily apparent.  After all, what does one expect pitting thousands of angst-ridden teens battling puberty within the confines of a single building?  This is a film that takes that base level absurdity, and exaggerates it to create a memorable high school viewing experience.

Veronica is the member of a powerful high school clique.  As is the case with all high school cliques, death and impending destruction are nearby.  Veronica isn't a big fan of the character held by her friends, and with newcomer J.D. she is able to act upon that very realization.  Specifically, the two begin murdering fellow classmates, and pawning off the acts as that of mere suicide.  What follows is a biting satire on not only high school life, but human nature in general.

The biggest strength this film has lies in its comedy, and more specifically, in the nasty streak it brings to accompany said comedy.  Many times as viewers we come across a film labeled as showcasing "biting satire."  Fortunately for the viewer, this is a film that more than lives up to that billing.  Not only does the film bask in the absurdity that is the high school hierarchy, it makes some scathing ruminations on human nature.  Specifically, the way it portrayed suicide and the reactions held by the students, faculty, and school itself were the highlight for me.

In many ways satire is only as effective as its own relevance, and this is ultimately what allows the film to succeed.  Despite its obvious exaggerations, this is a film that is strikingly relevant to current events.  In fact, one could make the argument that it has in fact become more relevant since its initial release in 1988.  It is this relevance that remains fresh, and most importantly allows the film and relating satire to bite down to the viewer's bone.

Took a drive down high school memory lane last night, and survived.  As the film aptly shows, sometimes that's all you can ask for.