CJohn

Friday Numbers: Contraband - 8.7M; Beauty and the Beast 3D - 5.6M; Joyful Noise - 3.3M

• Founder / Operator

I've felt for a long time that this year would offer a lot of reasons to see some improvement (much more exciting films for both fans and general audiences, election year which could serve as a temporary morale booster)...but I didn't quite expect TDI and Contraband to do these kinds of numbers during their opening. Beauty looks about right, though.

I'm really stunned.2011 was so boring and here we are in January 2012, YES FREAKIN JANUARY?! being surprised by movies left and right.

I just can't see the movies in the next 2 weekends breaking out.

I normally don't like action flicks but the even trailer appeals. The music (hype rap song) conveys a sense of fun and coming at ya action. Plus Marc Walhlberg is always fun even in his lesser movies. It might not be Oscar material but it looks like the kind of movie I will enjoy without having massive plot issues or overly complex psychological thriller plotlines. In other words it looks FUN but slightly naughty. Beyond Dragon Tattoo, there are no other movies in mass movie market, that have that naughty fun look.

• Like 1