CJohn

Friday Numbers: Contraband - 8.7M; Beauty and the Beast 3D - 5.6M; Joyful Noise - 3.3M

We all should have seen TDI breaking out. I actually predicted a 25M OW, but that was still way lower then the actual. The reactions to the trailer were insane all over the internet and the hype on the week before is release date was crazy.Contraband has Mark Walhberg, a solid trailer with a cool music (this helps, IMO) and opened on the MLK weekend. I am starting to think that the MLK is an excellent weekend to open a movie looking at the past 3/4 years. But I never predicted 30M 4-days for Contraband. Maximum was 23-24M 4-days, I think.But if had to choose only 2 movies to see in this month, I would definitly choose Contraband and The Devil Inside.

Edited by CJohn

Didn't expect Contraband to do that well but it's nice to see a movie surprising usBeauty and The Beast 3D did fine as well, it was never going to match Lion King 3D but still it will earn good enough. 90s nostalgia FTW!Joyful Noise has a niche audience that will support it.It's too early to tell to say the slump is over but at least so far it's pretty great ;)

• Founder / Operator

Between The Grey and *maybe* Man on a Ledge, this month might prove to be rather shockingly decent. I was skeptical about MoaL, but they've been doing early screenings for it and that shows some confidence in the film. TG has Neeson...with a good film (and he himself seems more positive about it than he did with Unknown), it could pull out a performance similar to that of .... well, Unknown.Haywire is a wild card. Marketing has been awful until recently and really has no draw to rely upon. Concept might be interesting enough, though.