kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers | Steve Jobs theater count drops 85%, awaiting the Jem and Kasbah drops.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not even a top 5 percentage drop for Kasbah. CJohn will be pissed

25 11 Rock The Kasbah Open Road Films 201 -1,811 -90.0% 3

I was not expecting much from Rock the Kasbah. It didn't had enough theaters to begin with. I am here for Jem. Steve Jobs was a pleasant surprise. 

I don't understand how The Walk and Steve Jobs flopped. Normally, good reviewed films perform well at the box office and badly reviewed films perform poorly. Both films had a built-in fanbase ,since the biography on the individual is popular. This is a strange year.

53 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

I think Jem is gone. No showtimes on Cineplex tomorrow, which indicates it's disappeared from Canada at least.

There's something almost epic about this. Jem deserves a monument.

I noticed this on Twitter, and then checked Fandango.  There ARE showings of Jem and the Holograms tomorrow in the U.S., but they are very few and far between.  In California, I saw theaters in Corona, Riverside, and Lancaster had Jem showtimes tomorrow, and also two theaters in the Atlanta, Georgia area.  However, many other major cities I tried searching for Jem showtimes through Fandango ended up with nothing on Friday.  That could mean it will be in less than 100 theaters total this weekend.  Maybe those showings that are listed are more like a "zombie run" of the movie?  Does that ever happen, when movies continue to show in theaters after the studios stop counting the daily totals?

Edited by Outrageous!

1 minute ago, Outrageous! said:

I noticed this on Twitter, and then checked Fandango.  There ARE showings of Jem and the Holograms tomorrow in the U.S., but they are very few and far between.  In California, I saw theaters in Corona, Riverside, and Lancaster had Jem showtimes tomorrow, and also two theaters in the Atlanta, Georgia area.  However, many other major cities I tried searching for Jem showtimes through Fandango ended up with nothing on Friday.  That could mean it is less than 100 theaters total this weekend.  Maybe those showings that are listed are more like a "zombie run" of the movie?  Does that ever happen, when movies continue to show in theaters after the studios stop counting the daily totals?

Yes, all the time. Each studio has different policies about how long they track movie dailies. Disney, for instance, tends to follow a film for about 90 days unless there's something really strange going on (which happened with Frozen). Weekend and/or weekly tallies can go longer. And even then the film can keep playing for a while. Usually at some point further down the road (6 or 9 months or whatever) they'll note that it's ended its run and give an updated final tally.

But it would be unprecedented if they stopped tracking a film entirely after two weeks. Even Justin Bieber's Believe (a previous Jon Chu bomb) got tracked for the whole three weeks it was playing. I believe it ended its run after 23 days.

Who knows, though. Jem is actually doing worse than Believe, so maybe they are pulling it.

8 hours ago, babz06 said:

Universal had some of the biggest publicized flops this year: Blackhat, Seventh Son, Steve Jobs, and Jem & the Holograms. I guess you take the good with the bad. 

JEM AND THE HOLOGRAM's budget is just 5 M. STEVE JOBS is just 30 M. They are definitely not hits but they aren't flops.

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

JEM AND THE HOLOGRAM's budget is just 5 M. STEVE JOBS is just 30 M. They are definitely not hits but they aren't flops.

But don't we have to always add at least 20M for promotion and distribution and stuff?

34 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

But don't we have to always add at least 20M for promotion and distribution and stuff?

It depends. JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS barely got promoted. STEVE JOBS might finish with 16 M - 18 M domestic but it still has the overseas markets to depend on. And even if the numbers end up not good, it's not really a flop. A flop is a movie that contributes to huge losses for a studio. JOHN CARTER OF MARS, PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME, JUPITER ASCENDING and PAN are examples.