Gabriel (2014)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'd say this is the best-acted movie of the year, across the board. From the start, as a character study of a mentally ill young man, it's very well-written and observed; it avoids the "You already know this, but I'll tell you anyway" dialogue and creates characters with a shared history organically, often just through reactions, in-jokes and throwaway lines, and though the camera is mercilessly locked on the title character almost the entire time, he's immediately written as a person and not some freak for the viewer to gawk at. However, it's the actors, especially Rory Culkin and Deirdre O'Connell, that truly elevate it, making even potential Oscar monologues (not that the Academy would ever notice this movie) sound completely natural and, in some cases, creating fully realized characters out of just a few lines and 5 minutes of screentime. A live wire of a movie that deserves to be much more hyped than it is. 

I just watched it and I'm speechless

I'm not kidding when I say no performance in the movie was less than very good, that beach scene had my jaw dropped at how good Culkin was. Fantastic showcase of a troubled young man.  85/100

Edited by Goffe