DeeCee

How much of a Secret is SHIELD?

I've been watching the MCU in order over the last week and this is something I've wondered about.  The 1st phase films mostly appear to suggest that SHIELD is a secret organisation that most people don't know about.  However, with Winter Soldier and the opening of Antman we have the Triskelion under construction in the middle of Washington DC from the late 80's.  Was SHIELD supposed to be a secret or have Marvel just ignore this for the MCU?

I view SHIELD as something like say, FEMA. You know about it but your day to day life doesn't involve interaction with it. They crop up in the news irregular enough that when you hear it you suddenly are like, "Oh, yeah, SHIELD---what's that stand for again? They do what now?"

• Like 1

On 2/15/2016 at 8:55 AM, Captain Craig said:

I view SHIELD as something like say, FEMA. You know about it but your day to day life doesn't involve interaction with it. They crop up in the news irregular enough that when you hear it you suddenly are like, "Oh, yeah, SHIELD---what's that stand for again? They do what now?"

I always suspected FEMA was a Hydra front.

I would say SHIELD is an "open" secret. Seems to me like everyone knows it's there but no one quite knows what it does. I am pretty excited to see what Marvel has in store for us in the upcoming movies. Which makes me realize that I really need to try and find "Civil War" quick, so I am up to date. I actually really like this website because it sure helps with it. My husband started me on those movies since he's been reading Captain American since he was a little kid and I have to say I actually enjoy them now ;)

Edited by LunaMay