kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 064.0 M overseas | 119.1 M worldwide

13 hours ago, Nova said:

@Mockingjay RaphaelThe Shallows opened to $8.1M in China. At least we know now for sure that it's going to make more than The Boy lol 

Yeah! It seems that the problem is not with horror at all, but with unappealing material, I would love to see that success of The Shallows making studios release more horror movie like this in China, can you imagine the potential for Don't Breathe?! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Yeah! It seems that the problem is not with horror at all, but with unappealing material, I would love to see that success of The Shallows making studios release more horror movie like this in China, can you imagine the potential for Don't Breathe?! 

I 100% agree. The potential is all there for films like Don't Breathe/Lights Out to be very successful in China. I feel like given the right film it could do even more than what The Shallows opened up to especially because Don't Breathe and Lights Out are out pacing it in every other international market. You could be looking at a film that makes $30-40M additionally for a horror film. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nova said:

I 100% agree. The potential is all there for films like Don't Breathe/Lights Out to be very successful in China. I feel like given the right film it could do even more than what The Shallows opened up to especially because Don't Breathe and Lights Out are out pacing it in every other international market. You could be looking at a film that makes $30-40M additionally for a horror film. 

The main problem is that studios can only release between 5 and 6 (?) movies per year in China, so, they choose the blockbusters that will make a lot of money, instead of a small horror movie that would do like $20m-$30m, this is so unfair, they should have quota per genre instead of per studio, IMO. 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The main problem is that studios can only release between 5 and 6 (?) movies per year in China, so, they choose the blockbusters that will make a lot of money, instead of a small horror movie that would do like $20m-$30m, this is so unfair, they should have quota per genre instead of per studio, IMO. 

It's especially not fair for the people there because they get stuck with the same kind of movie but yes you're right. Like The Shallows only got released because Ghostbusters couldn't get released there so Sony went ahead to release The Shallows instead. 

• Like 1