baumer

Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A very funny movie for the Halloween season! Madea and the supporting cast are hiliarious! The film also has some good relatable parts to it too that we in society sometimes see like with Tyler Perry's character (the real him) who is agreeing with society in the parenting department about Spanking and beatings being considered child abuse and how he doesn't give much authority then at the end he does. I also got a kick out of the clown stuff, and Madea and her friends being freaked out was silly. Very good movie and I will definetely be picking up when it comes out to DVD/bluray. Grade:B+

• Like 1

Boo! A Madea Halloween is a vile film. It's a film made for cheap and it shows in the worst way. The filmmaking is lazy, particularly in the cinematography department. The digital noise in the darker shots are so profoundly noticeable, they'd get an automatic D in any film school for not using the proper ISO. It's oddly okay though since the script deserves the cinematography.

Racist, misogynist, and going for easy laughs, it's one of the worst scripts this reviewer has ever seen put on film. At its best points, it feels like a Halloween special of an awful forgotten 90s sitcom. Humor consists of a reference to drugs, "cussing," the cops, or Madea falling over and according to my audience, it worked, frequently causing everyone to laugh hysterically. Of course, since this is a modern comedy, it needs to become a cheesy drama at some point, and this aspect doesn't disappoint. It feels horrifically out of place, but hey, it worked for the majority of people watching. The score doesn't help the script at all, popping up at points to add the old sitcom feel with its canned feel.

More than anything, watching Boo! A Madea Halloween got me deeply saddened about the general audience's reaction to films. Not to sound pretentious, but when the person behind you exclaims loudly "That looks so boring" after the La La Land trailer and then promptly laughs through the whole film, all the creative bankruptcy in Hollywood comes into perspective. This film had the biggest opening in the Madea franchise yet, meaning there's probably more Madea coming to plague our cinemas in the future. It's hard to fathom Tyler Perry working on a masterpiece with David Fincher and then deciding to go back and make this drivel. And yet, it makes too much sense. Boo! A Madea Halloween represents all the terrible aspects of Hollywood comedy filmmaking, being an offensive, boring, piece of crap that is worth booing. F

Well, for those who care......I enjoyed this one immensely.  It's sporadically funny but I find a lot of what appeals to me about Madea films is that she is a throw back to a different time.  Madea has a different way of raising kids, she's like my mother.  I was raised the same way that Madea believes in raising kids.  And this has always been one of the things about the Madea films that I really enjoy and relate to.  My mom passed away ten years ago and sometimes when sitting in the theater, listening to Madea go off on kids, it makes me chuckle and think of my mom and how much she would have enjoyed these films.  

Besides the social commentary, there are some really funny parts in the film and Diamond White might be a star in the near future.  She's quite stunning.  

If you like the Madea films, then you will more than likely really like this one.  If you don't like them, then this isn't going to change your mind.

8/10

• Like 2

On 10/28/2016 at 2:12 PM, Blankments said:

Boo! A Madea Halloween is a vile film. It's a film made for cheap and it shows in the worst way. The filmmaking is lazy, particularly in the cinematography department. The digital noise in the darker shots are so profoundly noticeable, they'd get an automatic D in any film school for not using the proper ISO. It's oddly okay though since the script deserves the cinematography.

Racist, misogynist, and going for easy laughs, it's one of the worst scripts this reviewer has ever seen put on film. At its best points, it feels like a Halloween special of an awful forgotten 90s sitcom. Humor consists of a reference to drugs, "cussing," the cops, or Madea falling over and according to my audience, it worked, frequently causing everyone to laugh hysterically. Of course, since this is a modern comedy, it needs to become a cheesy drama at some point, and this aspect doesn't disappoint. It feels horrifically out of place, but hey, it worked for the majority of people watching. The score doesn't help the script at all, popping up at points to add the old sitcom feel with its canned feel.

More than anything, watching Boo! A Madea Halloween got me deeply saddened about the general audience's reaction to films. Not to sound pretentious, but when the person behind you exclaims loudly "That looks so boring" after the La La Land trailer and then promptly laughs through the whole film, all the creative bankruptcy in Hollywood comes into perspective. This film had the biggest opening in the Madea franchise yet, meaning there's probably more Madea coming to plague our cinemas in the future. It's hard to fathom Tyler Perry working on a masterpiece with David Fincher and then deciding to go back and make this drivel. And yet, it makes too much sense. Boo! A Madea Halloween represents all the terrible aspects of Hollywood comedy filmmaking, being an offensive, boring, piece of crap that is worth booing. F

Racist and misogynist?  

Image result for wtf face gif

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 2:12 PM, Blankments said:

This film had the biggest opening in the Madea franchise yet, meaning there's probably more Madea coming to plague our cinemas in the future. It's hard to fathom Tyler Perry working on a masterpiece with David Fincher and then deciding to go back and make this drivel. And yet, it makes too much sense. Boo! A Madea Halloween represents all the terrible aspects of Hollywood comedy filmmaking, being an offensive, boring, piece of crap that is worth booing. F

Not to be that nitpicky guy, but...

1.) It actually fell pretty far from the Madea franchise's top opening weekend. For reasons I still can't figure out nearly eight years after the fact, Madea Goes to Jail opened to $40 million in early 2009.

2.) It's totally easy to fathom why Tyler Perry went back to the well: Top Five gave him the idea. ;) Seriously, though, this character is his baby and he's apparently insanely committed to the part (I've read that he rarely breaks character when they're filming these things), so I get why he would want to return. Moreover, aside from Gone Girl - which was stunt casting at its very finest - it's not like Hollywood has ever given him anything interesting to do outside of his self-written and/or directed endeavors (not that those are exactly challenging themselves, but at least he gets creative control). If his options are akin to a random and meaningless cameo (Star Trek), a second-rate Morgan Freeman type (Alex Cross), a stock villain (Ninja Turtles), or doing his own Madea movie and having some level of creative control over it, I can't blame him for going with the latter, even if the result is apparently anathema to anyone outside of the target audience (which means I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole).

On 10/30/2016 at 6:49 AM, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

Racist and misogynist?  

Image result for wtf face gif

I have no desire to write an eighteen paragraph essay on how I find this movie racist and sexist. It's definitely there but to dissect it would be an endeavor that's a waste of my time entirely.

20 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Not to be that nitpicky guy, but...

1.) It actually fell pretty far from the Madea franchise's top opening weekend. For reasons I still can't figure out nearly eight years after the fact, Madea Goes to Jail opened to $40 million in early 2009.

2.) It's totally easy to fathom why Tyler Perry went back to the well: Top Five gave him the idea. ;) Seriously, though, this character is his baby and he's apparently insanely committed to the part (I've read that he rarely breaks character when they're filming these things), so I get why he would want to return. Moreover, aside from Gone Girl - which was stunt casting at its very finest - it's not like Hollywood has ever given him anything interesting to do outside of his self-written and/or directed endeavors (not that those are exactly challenging themselves, but at least he gets creative control). If his options are akin to a random and meaningless cameo (Star Trek), a second-rate Morgan Freeman type (Alex Cross), a stock villain (Ninja Turtles), or doing his own Madea movie and having some level of creative control over it, I can't blame him for going with the latter, even if the result is apparently anathema to anyone outside of the target audience (which means I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole).

1. Woops, lol. For some reason I thought BOM would've mentioned that in their challenge.

2. It's weird that he rarely breaks character when they're filming these, seeing how he breaks character twice within this film itself. Regardless, I get what you mean that he's not really getting the parts but I feel like if he wanted to, he might be able to find something in the vain of the Gone Girl role again. I know that's difficult though and I don't really blame in for going back to the well of Madea. I do blame him for the shittiness of this film though.

It's a cheaply made comedy film made for the low IQ crowd, but I had a blast watching it two weeks ago. The audience loved it and were laughing with me. This type of comedy is not for everyone, people will either totally hate or love it. I found it entertaining.   A

18 minutes ago, movieboner said:

It's a cheaply made comedy film made for the low IQ crowd, but I had a blast watching it two weeks ago. The audience loved it and were laughing with me. This type of comedy is not for everyone, people will either totally hate or love it. I found it entertaining.   A

It's made for people with low IQ's.  That's very insulting.  It's made for people with different values, values from a time gone by.