Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Rewatched this for the first time in a while this weekend, and it's just as impressive as it was the first time I saw it several years ago. Brad Pitt gives a steady, paranoid portrayal of Jesse James, though I have to admit I kept hearing Aldo Raine in his voice, even though this predated Basterds. But it's Casey Affleck who IMO is unreal here, giving an amazing performance as the obssesed but insecure Robert Ford. There's so much to his portrayal, it's such a standout that he even overshadows Pitt. That character is so polarizing. You sympathize for him, and then you hate him, and then at the end it's back to a strange sympathy... why is he so reviled? The way the country builds people up, tears them down, creates legends out of bad people... it's a very conflicting experience and says alot about celebrity culture today- even though this was set in the 1800's.Besides those two performances the film itself is beautiful. I can't believe this was only the director's second film. He creates such a grim atmosphere, at 2 hours and 40 minutes the movie should feel long but it doesn't, even the score is basically the same throughout but it works. I'm really looking forward to Cogan's Trade now after seeing this again (stars Pitt with same director).10/10- A

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

It may be a film about betrayal, but oh man, this is so much more than that.

Beautifully shot, great score, and potentially one of the strongest displays of an acting ensemble I've ever seen. Pitt, Affleck, and Rockwell were magnificent. This is one of those films that really creeps up on you with its greatness. It's a slow-moving, intricate film that takes time to build up the characters and get you into the atmosphere of the film.

I love how nothing in the film is simply black or white. Every character is multi-dimensional, and multi-layered. It's simply one of those films that you get so involved with, you forget you're watching a movie. The 10-minute epilogue at the end was also fantastic......ironic, heartbreaking, poignant, and somewhat devastating.

Definitely in my top 50 all-time.

A/A-

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

I can't say much more than what has already been said. BEAUTIFUL cinematography. Great year for cinematography in general. I would've been happy with this or TWBB winning. Casey is simply a revelation and the story really drew me in. As Adim said, it never feels long. Nice supporting cast too with Rockwell and Renner. I need to watch this again on blu ray.A