Friday the 13th Part VI Jason Lives

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Friday the 13th Part VI Jason Lives

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ah, the start of zombie Jason. It actually is one of the better Fridays. I like the earlier ones a bit more due to Jason just being a mentally slow person that is killing in revenge for his mother. No supernatural parts or anything like that.

However, this is the first one where Jason becomes the undead, invincible killing machine most people remember him for. Tommy after his stint at the mental hospital decides he needs closure from his ordeal in part 4. (For those wondering, yes I said 4 and this is 6. There is no actual Jason in part 5, but that is another review.)

In a massive thunderstorm, Tommy and a friend goes to the cemetery and digs up Jason's grave. He opens the casket. He then breaks off a metal fence post and begins to stab Jason's corpse over and over until he gets tired. He leaves the post in Jason's body and in a Frankenstein moment, it is struck by lightning bring Jason back to life and the fun begins.

For those that want to see Jason in his zombie form where he is a lot stronger and makes more graphic kills, this is the start of that.

Overall, not a bad way to "reboot" the series and bring Jason back to the forefront.

B+

When I first saw the poster for the film, I was excited. It is a great atmospheric poster with its dark colours and the mask emanating light from it. I was also excited about the title. Jason Lives, that means that they are bringing him back to life and Roy will stay dead. Now, if only the film could have been as good and creepy as the first four, it would have been a great film. As it stands, this isn't as good as the first four but it kicks the hell out of the last three. So what we are left with is a passable entry in the series.

Jason comes back to life via Frankenstein tactics, which should make him even more powerful. And there are scenes in here that would support that theory. One being when one of his victims is bent over backwards and gets snapped in half. So his brutality is still alive and kicking quite nicely. But what this film is missing is the "feel" and the "texture" of the first four. And to be honest I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just an intangible missing from the sixth episode that was so prevalent in the first four. It's strange though, this film does a lot of things right. It has Jason lurking mysteriously in the background and it uses some decent shots. But it just wasn't that scary. It was entertaining and humorous and that is fine, but I don't want to see a funny Friday the 13th, just as I don't want to see a funny Nightmare On Elm Street.

The way Jason is killed in this one is actually quite good, because we are now starting to get into the folklore of Jason. What makes him tick and what can kill him. Having Tommy research the method of death is a good way to go. It's just too bad that they didn't just leave it alone after that. Or better yet, if they actually wanted to make a Jason Goes To Hell, have them go back to their roots and use the techniques that scared us back in 1980-84. Because now Jason is just a pale replica of what he once was. He hasn't quite eroded in this one, but he is coming close.

Friday VI is not a bad effort, it just could have been so much better.

7/10

Out of the later sequels after part V this is one of the better ones while it doesn't show boobs this time around it is still a good entry of the now zombie Jason especially the beginning of how he is resurrected through the lighting bolt and the kills are also decent as well as the whole poking fun idea Tom McLaughlin did and that the characters are familiar with what is going on and the whole I've seen enough horror movies line. Also I liked the Man Behind The Mask(He's Back) song by Alice Cooper. Overall grade:B+

Jason Lives has a special place in my heart 'cause it was the first one I saw (when I was 8 or 9, and the cemetery scene at the beginning scared the bejesus out of me). Probably the best movie in the series, but not the best F13 movie. If that makes any sense...

7.5/10
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1