chasmmi

Chasmmi's top 250 films of all time - Because I honestly had this idea at the same time and it's not a Ripoff - :)

172nd - Thor: The Dark World

Image result for thor the dark world

Another that many will dislike, but Thor is almost my favourite character in the MCU.

Hemsworth is so good in this role, not just because he looks like a Norse God, but also great comic timing and good dramatic skills. Add to that the MCU's best villain in Loki and the films have a strong foundation for greatness. 

Yes this film has a weak villain, but that is the MCU just in general. The important thing here is how your heroes come together to defeat said villain and the Thor/Loki team has such great chemistry that I could watch them all day. 

Before Guardians and the more out there Marvel characters got films, Thor was the funniest franchise in the MCU for me, and I am hoping that Ragnarok continues this trend. 

• Like 3

171st - Wreck it Ralph

Image result for wreck it ralph

Since the release of Tangled, Disney has not release a bad animation. 

Even Pixar has had to take a backseat to the greatness of 2010's Disney, and Wreck it Ralph is one of the more surprising joys in this group. The mix of real game characters and made up ones in this film are all great and there is a love of old arcade gaming here that was pleasantly surprising to see. 

Like with many Disney animations, this is a film I could watch over and over again ad nausium. It's a wonderful, genuinely original film that deserves its praise. 

• Like 5

170th - Mad Max: Fury Road

Image result for fury road

The best 2 hour car chase in the sand of all time. 

Fury Road was one of the most surprising and spectacular films of its year. The mix of practical and CGI is as stupendous as any set of breasts could ever hope to be, and the end result was something that was so much fun to watch. 

The characters are strong and we are just sent on a wild ride for two hours that was as good as that kind of film could ever have been. 

• Like 4

169th - The Lego Movie 

Image result for lego movie

This film was never supposed to be good was it?

But it turned out to be an imaginative, fun and just plain great animation. It's funny, silly and filled with a surprising amount of heart throughout the story. The animation is also a delight to watch, with a great use of CGI to simulate a world created purely out of lego.

This should 175% have been nominated for an Oscar. It's so good. 

• Like 5

168th - Ant-Man

Image result for antman

The film that shows us that Marvel can make a hit out of anything. 

This film is all about Paul Rudd for me, he is so good in this and creates a film that I think rivals Guardians for humour and comedy. He took a character that was likely to be Marvels first flop, and it is now Marvel's latest franchise. 

The effects and the fights are supremely entertaining with the perspective changes and how the battleground shrink and grow. I think he is my favourite Marvel character introduced in this latest phase. 

• Like 3

167th - Bad Guy 

If Three Iron was Kim Ki-Duk's more accessible film, this is the pure opposite.

This film is dark, disturbing, and has a message that is frankly disgusting. This is not a moral film, and this is not an inspiring film. In fact I imagine many would find themselves struggling to even sit through it as they become uncomfortable with the central premise and its resolution. 

The story of a pimp who essentially forces a girl who turns him down into becoming a prostitute, this is probably by far the hardest film to watch on this list, but it you watch the film as a story that is being told about a world that could be out there, then there is a lot to appreciate about how this film is made and the unique styles of this director. 

A small insight into how polarising this film is: 

Rotten tomatoes Score: 44%

Grand Prize winner at Asian film festival and Catalonian International Film Festival

Nominated at Berlin Film Festival

His first film to actually make some money in Korea instead of just Europe or nowhere, but also the film that got him labeled as a monster or psycho in the Korean press and would start a relationship with the Korean cinema industry that would culminate in him eventually refusing to release his films at all domestically. 

But he's won enough awards in Germany and Italy for it to not really matter now. 

• Like 2

166th - A Good Year

Image result for a good year

To this day, this is my favourite thing Russell Crowe has done.

And the first time I ever found him likable in a film. A good year was just a lovely quiet drama and wine and relaxing that I can't believe got made, but I am so happy that it did. It's one of those classic dramas where fuck all happens for 2 hours, but if you are on board with that, then it is a great way to spend said two hours. 

I also love the France that is portrayed in this, it's a film that puts a smile on my face, but not on anybody else's it appears. 

• Like 2

I will stop there for now, but some clues for what is coming up:

165th - Something from 2017 that I will only briefly mention so as not to spoil

164th - The death of Darwin

163rd - Is this the best courtroom comedy?

162nd - The film that began an empire

161st - Ah, remember when they tried to make that girl from Buffy a thing?

• Like 1

This must be the most random list that I have ever seen. Theses films are not particularly highly rated, they're not all blockbusters nor are they all very recent. I haven't even heard of many of these much less seen them (but based on those I have seen I won't be adding them to my to watch list).

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

Well Chas....you got me really excited with Gorillas in the Mist....another film that is very important imo and one that I have a hard time watching.  But it's an outstanding film.

Then  the next 5 films are ones that I hate lol.

Idle Hands is one of the worst horror films I've seen.

WWW is just horrible.

Thor is the worst stand alone film in the MCU...well Thor 2 is worse

Wreck it Ralph gave me a headache

Fury Road is good

Lego is shit

Ant-man was fun

Never seen bad guy

A good Year looks good

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well Chas....you got me really excited with Gorillas in the Mist....another film that is very important imo and one that I have a hard time watching.  But it's an outstanding film.

Then  the next 5 films are ones that I hate lol.

Idle Hands is one of the worst horror films I've seen.

WWW is just horrible.

Thor is the worst stand alone film in the MCU...well Thor 2 is worse

Wreck it Ralph gave me a headache

Fury Road is good

Lego is shit

Ant-man was fun

Never seen bad guy

A good Year looks good

I was expecting you to be a fan of Gorillas in the mist.

And yes, when weighed up against the films that I am 'supposed' to put in this list, this is one of the bumpiest stretches. :)

Between now and 150th, I would expect that about 8 have a decent number of fans, 2 are completely WTF, 1 is far too new and the other 4... I'm not as sure how the masses will think of them.

You personally, I expect you'll approve of at least 4 or 5 :) 

• Like 2

165th - Colossal

colossal에 대한 이미지 검색결과

One of a very small number of 2017 films to make the list.

I won't go into a lot of detail here as I think most haven't seen this. Suffice to say it is a bit batshit crazy or stupid in places, but it is also one of the best films regarding addiction I think I have seen. 

• Like 3

164th - X-Men First Class

xmen first class에 대한 이미지 검색결과

The first X Men film after the horrible Last Stand and also recasting the two most iconic roles. How was this not horrible?

This film breathed new life into a dead franchise and made a new trilogy something I suddenly really wanted in my life. Little by little James McCavoy is starting to show that he may actually be one of the best actors around, and people already knew that about Fassbender. This was a great origin story that may also serve as being one of the best prequels ever made. 

• Like 3

163rd - My Cousin Vinny

my cousin vinny에 대한 이미지 검색결과

This may be my favourite thing Joe Pesci ever did.

This is a wonderful court comedy drama, led by one of the finest actors of his time. This film is the sort of thing that would find itself being a 13 part Nexflix series or something if made today, but in 1992 was one of the best films of that year (although to be fair we all know that good cinema really took off from 1993 :P ) 

I'd be interested if this film still even registers as existing to people under 25 years old. Still a classic though. 

• Like 2

162nd - Iron Man

iron man에 대한 이미지 검색결과

The film that started an empire. 

Fun Fact, I didn't watch this film for about 3 years because I assumed it was an Iron Giant adaptation and I hated that story as a kid. Then I discovered it was RDJ, I rented it and the rest is history. 

The first hour of this film almost rivals Dark Knight for how well it all comes together and how good Downey is. And even though it eventually climaxes in the more standard way, this film completely sold me on the whole Avengers concept and I have been riding the bandwagon ever since. 

• Like 4

161st - Bring it On

bring it on에 대한 이미지 검색결과

Every time I threaten to make this list respectable...

I don't care what you all think or say, I enjoy this film a lot and it's a nice harmless, spiteless rom com. I like it when a film can do that now and again. Don't get me wrong, it scares me to discover that this is now a 5 film series (4 DTV I assume), but the first one is still one of the better films of its genre and time.

• Like 2