Finnick

Monday Numbers: GOTG2:9.86M | FF8:0.60M | HTBLL:0.39M

GoTG2 also dropped much softer than a lot of Marvel films on Sunday.  Meaning this looks to be a big weekend film.  23% drop on Sunday compared to most that drop near or above 30%.  So the jury is out.  This could and probably will have a leggy run.

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Actually Avengers, IM3, AOU and CW decreased on Tuesday, I'd say if Guardians 2 increases it could be more helpful to decode.

3 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

I say if there's any increase it may be small givjne the fact that it's discount Tuesday also having work and school.

This film really needs to make All it can before competitors start to roll out.

I know we all are looking for a 2.4x+ but we have to understand later legs are the factor after the 2x is acquired.

POTC and WW could cut them short.

Sure better Weekend holds could help out but that's only gonna help for two weekends after that things Could get very interesting around here.

Tuesdays are huge now.....they get bigger and bigger every year.  My guess is it will jump by about 20-25% today and decrease by about 32-35% on Wed.

6 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I say if there's any increase it may be small givjne the fact that it's discount Tuesday also having work and school.

This film really needs to make All it can before competitors start to roll out.

I know we all are looking for a 2.4x+ but we have to understand later legs are the factor after the 2x is acquired.

POTC and WW could cut them short.

Sure better Weekend holds could help out but that's only gonna help for two weekends.

True, but remember this, Disney will probably do double features of GV2 with Pirates. Also note that both Logan, Kong, Beast, and Baby, all survived a very competitive March. With three of them competing for the family market and two of them competing for the male audience, and even when factoring in Spring Break, the most the country had was on Beast's OW. Each doing a 2.5x+ multiple. Again, second weekend drop will determine legs. 

Edited by YourMother

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Tues increase just keep getting higher.  Wed will tell the tale better.

Why would Wednesday tell us any better?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

True, but remember this, Disney will probably do double features of GV2 with Pirates. Also note that both Logan, Kong, Beast, and Baby, all survived a very competitive March. With three of them competing for the family market and two of them competing for the male audience, and even when factoring in Spring Break, the most the country had was on Beast's OW. Each doing a 2.5x+ multiple. Again, second weekend drop will determine legs. 

It's really the fact of May weekdays could stop it from getting there.

3 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

May weekdays means bigger weekends.  

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Still if WOM is good enough, a movie even with May weekdays can do a decent multiple regardless of competition, such as The Avengers, Shrek 2, and Spider-Man. Not saying we should expect 2.5x+ multiple but it could happen.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

May weekdays means bigger weekends.  

As I said before until two big openers in weekend #3and#4.

But I'm not gonna be a negative Nancy.

Anything over 2.2 is still good to me it's a sequel after all.

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

As I said before until two big openers in weekend #3and#4.

But I'm not gonna be a negative Nancy.

Anything over 2.2 is still good to me it's a sequel after all.

Still, the main reason why CW did under a 2.3x multiple was mostly due to having to watch 6-8 films prior, which might have been a turnoff. From OW, GV2 has had one of the MCU best True Friday to Saturday jumps and a good Sunday drop.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still if WOM is good enough, a movie even with May weekdays can do a decent multiple regardless of competition, such as The Avengers, Shrek 2, and Spider-Man. Not saying we should expect 2.5x+ multiple but it could happen.

Yeah let's do 5-10year old comparisons ?.

A lot of times when we get into multiplers we tend to get caught into the past and forget that good multiplers (2.5+)for these types of films are uncommon,especially when they open to big numbers over the smaller openers.

I think we should start to look for the standard for comic book films and set it at 2.2-2.4x with 2.2 being good and 2.4 being very good.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still, the main reason why CW did under a 2.3x multiple was mostly due to having to watch 6-8 films prior, which might have been a turnoff. From OW, GV2 has had one of the MCU best True Friday to Saturday jumps and a good Sunday drop.

That was a pretty good jump ?

Hopefully it wasn't because of that Mexican holiday on Friday everybody in the south celebrated and this year it was bigger for some reason...Cinco De Mayo

6 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

We didn't got an idea about SS legs until 4th weekend.

Atleast wait for the weekend no.!

Or maybe not, otherwise the thread will be boring!

Im not saying it's gonna have weak legs ,I'm am saying we need to set the standards for comic book films in general a little lower.

It seems every time a film comes out we are looking for 2.7x+ when we know that's hard to come by these now and days.

Edited by Brainiac5

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Im not saying it's gonna have weak legs ,I'm saying we need to set the standards for comic book films in general a little lower.

It seems every time a film comes out we are looking for 2.7x+ when we know that's hard to come by these now and days.

Yeah I understand dude.

My comment was not for you or anyone else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

That was a pretty good jump ?

Hopefully it wasn't because of that Mexican holiday on Friday everybody in the south celebrated and this year it was bigger for some reason...Cinco De Mayo

Looking back, Cinco de Mayo appears not to affect anything, IM3 had a normal Sunday (5/5/13 which was Cinco de Mayo) to Monday fall, AOU decreases slightly on Tuesday, like most Marvel May openers, CW had great previews too ($25M).

Because movies follow a typical pattern  now, GoTG2 will probably do something like a 25% jump on Tuesday, a 35% drop on Wednesday, drop about 2@ Thursday and drop about 57% this weekend.  That should put it at about 248 million or so.  

The first week won;'t tell us anything.  It's the third weekend that will tell the story.  Even Beauty and the Beast had 4 weeks of 47% drops and it's still going to manage a 2.85X.  So late legs will determine where this will go as well....unless it drops north of 50% for the first four weeks.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Looking back, Cinco de Mayo appears not to affect anything, IM3 had a normal Sunday (5/5/13 which was Cinco de Mayo) to Monday fall, AOU decreases slightly on Tuesday, like most Marvel May openers, CW had great previews too ($25M).

Just wondering,I only mentioned it because it was extremely big this year here in the south and even bigger on the east coast.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because movies follow a typical pattern  now, GoTG2 will probably do something like a 25% jump on Tuesday

If we follow the pattern of Marvel's recent May openers, it'll stay flat or have a small decrease on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

If we follow the pattern of Marvel's recent May openers, it'll stay flat or have a small decrease on Tuesday.

Tuesday's have gotten bigger.