baumer

Wonder Woman (2017)

Grade it  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Um... Did you miss that a large amount of the climax was in fact quite clearly centered around her character development? Seriously, Diana starts off the movie believing that Ares was responsible for all humanity's ills and that she could solve WWI by stabbing this one guy. She grows out of it and learns to accept humanity's nuances, good and bad. That's as clear a character arc as you can get. Whether you think its a good character arc or not is up to you, but you can't deny that it exists.

Also seriously, putting on a shiny superhero suit does not equal character development. You can start off a movie with your character in a superhero suit and still have them develop over the course of the film. Similarly, you can have a character put on their suit for the first time and not change a bit, character-wise. 

Oh jesus christ 

ok , realizing the truth about humanity ( especially since she has literally never seen one human being before this event ) is not character development . Her character is literally the same , every side of her is the same . she did not become wonder woman , she was born wonder woman  . it is a character arc alright but it is not development . Jaime Lannister had character development and so did tony stark but captain america ( at least in the first movie ) did not , he was also captain america since the beginning of the movie , he just gained power later on 

That's literally the exact opposite of the entire point of the movie. 

Also Ares wasn't evil because he was evil. He literally spelled out that he only rebelled because he could see the evils and dangers in mankind and that none of the other gods would listen to him. Seriously, did you miss the entire final third or something? Ludendorff and Dr Poison also have their own motivations for their actions outside of 'we're super evil because!', although they're not exactly sympathetic and require a bit of subtler reading.

that is a cliche " the devil and the human " trope , he saw something with good and bad sides just like diana did but he chose to consider only one side of them and rebelled against gods because he was jealous , then after destroying every god ( because fuck conversations about things ) he then went on to destroy human kind . yeah he is not an absolute evil 

And nor is diana an absolute good right ? 

My friend even the critics who loved the movie hated the villain and thought it was this movie's shortcoming but if it's a hill you're willing to die on then ok 

Because it's an action blockbuster made to entertain people rather than present a realistic portrayal of combat. Do you not know how these work?

Do you know the difference between dancing and stylish fighting ? have you seen a , I don't know , any action movie ? dancing is when you pose before and after every move like there is a photo shoot or something but hey what ever rocks your boat 

I can think of a few reasons. Ares was weakened from fighting the other gods, the other gods might not have been that amazingly strong to begin with, Diana might have been designed with some special anti-god attributes, so on and so forth. It's not stated outright, but it's not too hard to read inbetween the lines.

you had me at " special anti-god attributes " 

thank you for the explanations btw  

• Like 1

I don't get why people keep justifying Ares' existence. He was whispering into their ears but the movie before made it clear that there was no godlike being controlling, whispering, helping or pulling the strings behind the war. 

Also, its a giant contradiction to the plot. Killing Ares won't end World War 1? Oh jeez, then what would have happens if Diana died in that German airbase and Ares was allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted? Would Ares have killed Diana and then I dunno, did nothing? Hell no. And that reminds me, Ares could pull powers out his ass and says that humans are garbage, yet he doesn't not once decide to use his powers to destroy the world? At that moment in time we don't know if there are any other superheroes and form the looks of it, it doesn't seem that likely. 

Gal is a terrible actress. Her narration at the beginning and end and when she got mad after the Germans gas bombed that village was so wooden and in Justice League when she talks about the mother-boxes it sounds like so stale and as if she is just blandly reading flashcards. Chris Pine is fine but the Amazons accents were awful. They all tried to mimic her Israeli/Hebrew accent and it just sounded so odd. 

The boat scene was cringey and you can tell it wasn't scripted and honestly? I didn't like the heavy handed line "What I do is not up to you." Etta Candy and the band of ethnic stereotypes were useless. The villains were terrible and underdeveloped. You just knew that the German general wasn't gonna be Ares and Ares with his mustache was funny as hell!

The scene where Diana decided not to kill the doctor was contradicting too. You kill all those German soldiers with ease then spare the life of her? Her? Wtf. 

Too much slow motion and the WW1 setting was wasted. It turned into a Bad guys = Germans and Good Guys = Americans/British and wasn't as morally grey. The No Mans Land scene was just.. ugh. Why didn't anyone aim lower? And the ending was cheesy af. "Its not about deserving, but what you believe." Or something. What if I believe that some people deserve to not live? Oh and if "love" is the answer why the hell did she kill Ares with a beam of lightning? And if life is just as complex as humans are, why is love the only answer then? 

I actually found myself enjoying MoS a lot more. At least Zack knows how to do action scenes better and Zod was a more compelling villain. 

That said, the island was beautiful and I liked the score and for the most part, it had a coherent but generic plot. 5-5.5/10. 

Edited by robertpatriana
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 12:49 AM, robertpatriana said:

I don't get why people keep justifying Ares' existence. He was whispering into their ears but the movie before made it clear that there was no godlike being controlling, whispering, helping or pulling the strings behind the war. 

Also, its a giant contradiction to the plot. Killing Ares won't end World War 1? Oh jeez, then what would have happens if Diana died in that German airbase and Ares was allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted? Would Ares have killed Diana and then I dunno, did nothing? Hell no. And that reminds me, Ares could pull powers out his ass and says that humans are garbage, yet he doesn't not once decide to use his powers to destroy the world? At that moment in time we don't know if there are any other superheroes and form the looks of it, it doesn't seem that likely. 

Gal is a terrible actress. Her narration at the beginning and end and when she got mad after the Germans gas bombed that village was so wooden and in Justice League when she talks about the mother-boxes it sounds like so stale and as if she is just blandly reading flashcards. Chris Pine is fine but the Amazons accents were awful. They all tried to mimic her Israeli/Hebrew accent and it just sounded so odd. 

The boat scene was cringey and you can tell it wasn't scripted and honestly? I didn't like the heavy handed line "What I do is not up to you." Etta Candy and the band of ethnic stereotypes were useless. The villains were terrible and underdeveloped. You just knew that the German general wasn't gonna be Ares and Ares with his mustache was funny as hell!

The scene where Diana decided not to kill the doctor was contradicting too. You kill all those German soldiers with ease then spare the life of her? Her? Wtf. 

Too much slow motion and the WW1 setting was wasted. It turned into a Bad guys = Germans and Good Guys = Americans/British and wasn't as morally grey. The No Mans Land scene was just.. ugh. Why didn't anyone aim lower? And the ending was cheesy af. "Its not about deserving, but what you believe." Or something. What if I believe that some people deserve to not live? Oh and if "love" is the answer why the hell did she kill Ares with a beam of lightning? And if life is just as complex as humans are, why is love the only answer then? 

I actually found myself enjoying MoS a lot more. At least Zack knows how to do action scenes better and Zod was a more compelling villain. 

That said, the island was beautiful and I liked the score and for the most part, it had a coherent but generic plot. 5-5.5/10. 

I liked the movie but the stuff at the beginning was probably the weakest stuff

• Like 1

Finally got around to seeing this, and my first thought was "That was it?" I had heard so many good things about this film but hadn't seen it because my son wasn't interested. But I got a chance to catch it on HBO and was underwhelmed. I liked the action despite the sometimes cheesy CGI but didn't care much for the story. Some of the scenes were cringe-inducing. The going to sleep scene on the boat, the clothes shopping scene, and the teaching to dance scene were particularly bad. I really liked Gadot, and Pine was okay. The Amazons left much to be desired as a people.

C+