baumer

Meagan Leavey (2017)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I thought this was done quite well, it takes a story and tells it with honesty.  There's a number of moments that don't fully come off well, but they're made up for by how real the entire story feels.

The movie really hits its stride in Iraq and I would like to see this director with a bigger budget to work with (as the Iraq scenes were obviously limited by the budget), because the film worked best during that second act.

The third act is nice and sentimentally sweet but I thought it lingered on a bit too long.

I also enjoyed how it was subdued and not really stylized.  It came off as authentic.

Megan Leavey is a lot better than it could've been. A film that could've been easily been forgettable tripe actually features a strong central performance, and smartly brings up canine PTSD in a way that doesn't sound anywhere near as cheesy as that phrasing does. It's uninspired direction never makes it anywhere close to a great film, but it's a fine way to spend two hours, even if it only is truly good for the last half hour. Megan Leavey combines the war movie with the dog movie to mixed results, but it's thankfully not nearly as milquetoast as expected. Decent. D+