franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

On 6/15/2024 at 2:25 AM, Pinacolada said:

Been thinking about this movie's absolute tanking this week and I wanted to just air out an anecdote about the state of general audiences' interest in theaters. Hopefully you get something from this.

I got lunch with my brother, cousins and one of their wives last Saturday. My cousin asked me about "How was Planet of the Apes?". I told him it was ok, but then asked "have you seen Furiosa?" I know for a fact that Mad Max Fury Road is one of his favorite movies ever. So you would think it'd be obvious he'd be interested in a new one. And he responded "No, I heard it's lame."

I wish I'd challenged him on that like "have you seen the reviews? Critics and audiences alike are reviewing it very positively". But I kinda just shut down bc I never want to be the annoying guy who starts yelling about how you need to go to the theaters, and he's also really stubborn so I didn't want to make a fuss. I wish I asked where'd you hear that from, because I just know he hadn't actually read that from credible sources, he probably just saw some dumbass instagram comment talking about how "woke" it was. I guaranteed him it's really good, and since he loved Fury Road, he'll like this. But will he actually go see it? I give it a 0% chance. I'm not changing his mind.

Then we started talking about Fury Road, and how he showed it to his newly married wife, and how she turned it off after 15 mins bc she was just asking questions and was weirded out. She's a "newbie" for lack of a better term, a bit ticktock brained when it comes to attention span, but I think that mindset kinda explains people's feelings about Furiosa and Fury Road even. It's too weird. Even though I think and many think that Fury Road especially is a masterclass in worldbuilding with little to no exposition, general audiences need that shit. And maybe that's why these movies don't connect with GAs as much as it does with film people like us.

My other cousin who was there, his brother, asked me last weekend if there are any movies out? I also know for a fact that he LOVES Fury Road. I told him Furiosa's out and is great. He said, "OH IT'S OUT?". I told him yes and that he should go see it. Has he? No.

While we were leaving, there was a theater on the other end of the place we ate at, my older brother asked me "Is there anything out right now?" just completely oblivious to the conversation we were having at lunch. I said "Yeah Furiosa's out right now, it's great". Didn't care, didn't suggest we go see it, hasn't watched it.

Anyway, depressing shit.

"People are dumb" pretty much sums it up.

I thought furiosa was good but I can see why it bombed. I feel the mad max universe is just too off-putting for the GA, and fury road was simply an exception because it was such a perfect action film, and you really didn't need to know what the hell was going on to enjoy it. The wacky world was just a colorful background to the action.

This one felt like you needed to care a bit more about the actual world and lore. More story less action. Mix that with the fact that some of the actual real fans were unhappy with seeing a prequel with a recast furiosa and you get a bomb