baumer

Cult of Chucky (2017)

Grade it  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I was very disappointed, since the other movie was such a nice surprise. The new twist on Chucky's powers kind of jumped the shark here.

Spoiler

With him being able to possess anything and anyone, and multiple people at the same time, it really takes away all the tension, it gives him too much power.

And what the hell was Andy trying to do in this movie? It made no sense.

As a Childs Play fan, this genuinely caught me off guard with quite a few surprises! The series is back to being self aware of itself and if you love the little foul mouthed fuck, it's worth watching just for him because he delivers some of the best one liners in the entire franchise. The animatronic itself looked identical to the Childs Play 3 poster at times and way too bulky during others (still far better than the last one and finally....no scars!) I don't want to spoil anything but it's nothing like your typical slasher. I dunno how to even rate it (the "story" absolutely falls apart if you think about it and the low budget showed) but I found this entry a lot more entertaining than I expected and laughed pretty hard quite a few times. Still under the original trilogy (and probably Bride) but I found it a lot more entertaining than Curse. It does feel incomplete though.... - B-

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was very disappointed, since the other movie was such a nice surprise. The new twist on Chucky's powers kind of jumped the shark here.

Hide contents

With him being able to possess anything and anyone, and multiple people at the same time, it really takes away all the tension, it gives him too much power.

And what the hell was Andy trying to do in this movie? It made no sense.

Andy had captured Chucky after shooting him in the end credits of Curse. He wasn't aware of his new powers and was holding him hostage and torturing him.

He tries to free Nica by going to the hospital by showing them that the doll is alive but the doctor just thinks it's a movie effect. 

When he realizes there is more than one, he takes a spare Good Guys doll he had laying around (I didn't like how they changed the classic voice) and cut the hair and sent it to the hospital with a gun hid inside it's stomach. He knew Chucky would take possession of it and once in, he would probably be pissed from cutting his hair (he killed the barber in Childs Play 3 for trying).

So he got himself locked up after nothing else worked and waited for Chucky to come after him. He figured the Chucky with the cut hair would be the most likely candidate because he knew that would make him angry. So he waited for him to show up, pinned him against the wall and tore the gun out of his stomach to take him and all the others out. 

It was basically a way of sneaking a gun into the facility undetected. He wasn't expecting Nica to get possessed though so his plan ultimately failed and he got locked in the hospital. The ending felt like a TV season cliffhanger.

Curse was actually good. This one is a huge mess. Minus the opening shot reminiscing the original film’s poster or the babysitter getting killed by being pushed off the window scene.

But other than that this is a pure Fuckin mess, you go from a scene where Nica is talking to the Split wannabe dude about trading gum for cigarettes then they’re having clothed sex. Like wtf??? Who comes up with this shit. Then the whole cult thing is stupid, then Nica’s Doctor is wanting to screw her. And then Chucky shows up as a special appearance in there. And killing people in a cheap fashion. 

Then the whole Chucky into Nica’s Body was interesting and how Chucky got boobs. But other than that the kills were lame, Alex Vincent was wasted as he’s there to kill one of the chuckies, go on a date, smokin weed with half of chucky’s head and his military academy shirt from Child’s Play 3, and then gets trapped in the asylum to be left for dead possibly.

This whole movie has definitely shown that this franchise needs to stop, Curse from 2013 was surprisingly good but Cult is definitely a huge step down as its tried to repeat the route that Seed or Bride did close to 15-20 years ago. Seed is pretty forgettable, but Cult is laughably Bad and rips off other films I’ve seen. Hell the other asylum horror film that came out earlier this year, A Cure For Wellness was miles better than this. 

But anyway, Cult Of Chucky doesn’t spark a light into the almost 30-year old horror franchise as you’ve went from a cat and mouse horror thriller to fun horror comedy to trying to be dark again to now just laughably Bad. So this entry will not be my friend till the end. I’m being kind and generous to this one since Bye Bye Man was worse but not much.

Grade:D-

• Like 1