cookie

Cookie's Corner - Year 2

1 hour ago, cookie said:

The Amityville Nightmare

Jesus. Christ.

Rarely has 108 minutes felt so long. So much happens in that amount of time that you feel like you've gone through an entire season of a television show by the time it's over. Nothing is allowed to breathe because it has to cram so much into such a short amount of time. And because you're so exhausted by the time the payoff rolls around it doesn't register like it should. Not that it really made the whole ordeal worth it anyhow. Some solid scares and acting save this from a lesser grade, but the makers should really think about how valuable pacing is next time.

C

Seriously, @Xillix, either this should've been a two-parter or 2 1/2 hours long. I thought going in that the long word count was because there was a lot of description, but there are so many subplots and sidesteps crammed in that the film in no realistic fashion could've been under two hours long.

Plot Twist:

Spoiler

The movie was on fast forward the whole time :ph34r:

Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Great Unholy

Oh thank Spaghetti Monster something that resembles a discernible reality.

Occasionally amusing but doesn't feel like it has much to say about the religions it spoofs or even the subject of the comedy. Not one of SBC's strongest work.

C+

And the Band Played On

I don't feel like I'm doing this film a service by talking about it on such short terms, but this might just be one of the most important films ever made in CAYOM. It's a tale of many things; pride, denial, optimism, loss, politics, a world in chaos... It's probably as true to facts as a portrayal of the AIDS epidemic can get, but it's also a very emotional one, balancing the two out quite masterfully. This might be one of the shortest three hours I've ever felt, for the longer it went on, the more sucked in I became. There's something about that precision and attention to detail that never tires you out, and Michael Mann is one of the greatest at it (when he's on point, anyway). And that last shot does kill me.

Is it the best movie of the year? That I have to think about. Is it the most important? Definitely.

A

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

And the Band Played On

I don't feel like I'm doing this film a service by talking about it on such short terms, but this might just be one of the most important films ever made in CAYOM. It's a tale of many things; pride, denial, optimism, loss, politics, a world in chaos... It's probably as true to facts as a portrayal of the AIDS epidemic can get, but it's also a very emotional one, balancing the two out quite masterfully. This might be one of the shortest three hours I've ever felt, for the longer it went on, the more sucked in I became. There's something about that precision and attention to detail that never tires you out, and Michael Mann is one of the greatest at it (when he's on point, anyway). And that last shot does kill me.

Is it the best movie of the year? That I have to think about. Is it the most important? Definitely.

A

Man the reception this time around is a fair deal better than in 2.0, where it was more of "appreciate and respect, but not love." I guess the edits and revisions I made paid off.

I do recommend the non-fiction book it is based on to everyone to check out. There's a whole lot of stuff and other fairly important people I didn't touch on since that would require a whole miniseries. You'll also see where I made some changes for dramatic/emotional license (not that much, though the final scene is one of them)

• Like 3

Spyro: Dragonheart

Opening short Pigeon: Before the Migration: A Tom & Jerry riff that doesn't really have the laughs the last short had. Entertaining for small children but not much more.

Movie: It's okay. Without the zaniness that Crash Bandicoot had there's nothing to distract you from the repetitive story and lacking character development, but what's there is fine for kids and passable for adults thanks to some decent animation. Harmless family fare.

C+

Blood Blizzard

Dull when it's predictable and dumb when it isn't. At least they didn't have it turn out to be ghosts.

D+

Peter and the Starcatchers

Last review of the year, here we go:

I'm convinced the studio sent this out to die. Not only did they put it up against Voltron: Rise of Lotor (today's product placement is brought to you by @cookie) but the entire second act is missing. No really, I'm convinced the movie that plays in theaters isn't even finished. Can I even review this fairly? What the hell.

F

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

Peter and the Starcatchers

Last review of the year, here we go:

I'm convinced the studio sent this out to die. Not only did they put it up against Voltron: Rise of Lotor (today's product placement is brought to you by @cookie) but the entire second act is missing. No really, I'm convinced the movie that plays in theaters isn't even finished. Can I even review this fairly? What the hell.

F

Great way to end the collective year :lol:

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Man the reception this time around is a fair deal better than in 2.0, where it was more of "appreciate and respect, but not love." I guess the edits and revisions I made paid off.

Either that or, like you told me regarding Second to Singapore last year, people grew on it.

Edited by cookie

Time to go through the worst of the year!

...Listed in review quotes.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

"I spoke too soon. This is the very next scene. College graduates from a year back, all with rather non-prestigious jobs being able to afford a luxury suite in New York City? Bitch please."

"I should've taken that guy's advice."

"#FuckToddPhilips"

"Christ, even Airplane! wasn't as ridiculous as this and that was supposed to be funny."

"I've got nothing."

BONUS: "Timmy's Winter Vacation 2 is what happens when you don't give a shit."

AND NOW THE COUNTDOWN:

"You pair up Key & Peele with Adam Sandler and Kevin James. That should grant you an F already for having the gall to do that but I'm going to be fair here... nah, this is pretty bad."

"There's so many baffling logical leaps in this movie and its conclusion is so Pure Flix-level paranoid that it should infuriate me but I couldn't stop laughing."

"Man, and I thought Touching Spirit Bear was some bullshit."

"To say this movie was written over a weekend would be a disservice to actual procrastinators. This reads like it was thought up on a napkin in five minutes with no consideration whatsoever."

"It's like this was supposed to be a haunted house movie at conception but a third of the way through writing the script they suddenly decided to make it a killer husband story and just said "fuck it, it's not like anybody will notice that a third of our movie is completely useless now."

"THIS

MOVIE

SUCKS"

"STOP

PUTTING

MY

BOY

TARON

IN

BAD

MOVIES"

"I'm convinced the studio sent this out to die."

"This shit is Sweeney Todd if it was intervened by UKIP."

"This didn't make me angry. This just made me depressed."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry @cookie:

HM:

Spoiler

Bloody Mary

Two Lonely Zookeepers

Chaperones

The Encounter...Airport 2018

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Timmy's Winter Vacation 2

WORST:

Spoiler

1. 120 Days of Sodom

2. Little Demons

3. Peter and the Starcatchers

4. The Screwtape Letters

5. Truth Is

6. The Beach House

7. Illusiono

8. My Life to Waste

9. Life After Death

10. Action Movie

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

AND HERE WE ARE FOLKS, @cookie'S CORNER'S TOP 25!

...In GIF form. You might have to guess some of these.

THE HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Hide contents

UWnucGY.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

crash-bandicoot-woah-gif-9.gif

I only know what two of these are, and the GIFs are killing Chrome

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

AND HERE WE ARE FOLKS, @cookie'S CORNER'S TOP 25!

...In GIF form. You might have to guess some of these.

THE HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Hide contents

UWnucGY.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

crash-bandicoot-woah-gif-9.gif

Spoiler

You should have used this gif for 56 Days of Love:

Image result for it's debra messing you gays

Cookie's Corner Top 25!

...But listed in alphabetical order (top 5 excluded), so you don't know the actual ranking before I post the full list >:)

American Dragon: Jake Long

Blood and Fur 2: Maul-Ma Mater

Bounty Hamster

Gorillas

The Human Revolution

Lord of the Flies

Midnight in Afghan Valley

On the Beach

Our City

Pokémon: The Journey Begins

The Road to El Dorado

The Simulation

Skeleton Crew

Ta2ed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

The Terrible Plight of Freddy Zapper

Torrential

The Towering Inferno

Treasure Planet

War of the Gods

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I wanted an Ang Lee gif and that shitty Hulk movie happened to be on TV as I made the post.