aabattery

Paddington 2 (2017)

Grade it  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Paddington 2 is as good as its surprisingly rapturous critical response suggests. I hadn’t seen the previous film until yesterday, and found it to be a highly charming, endearing film that successfully told a story simple enough to appeal to children, yet also grounded in such sincerity and cleverness that it could appeal to adults as well. This sequel takes those qualities up a notch with a genuinely compelling and affecting narrative that never fails to entertain and might even melt its viewers’ hearts by the time the credits begin to roll. Like Pixar’s work, it’s family-friendly to a “T,” yet doesn’t trivialize its characters or scenarios because it’s “just” a family film. Everyone in the cast – from Hugh Grant’s splashy, BAFTA-nominated villain to Brendan Gleeson’s tough prisoner whose demeanor softens under the titular bear’s influence to Sally Hawkins’s unfailingly caring maternal figure to Ben Whishaw’s once again spot-on voice work – gives their all and commits to finding something inspired and memorable in their character. It’s clear that everyone involved in the production reveres the source material and wants to do it justice, and to that end, the film is a marvelous, nigh-endlessly winsome success.

A-

Stray Thoughts:

- I was initially stunned that Hugh Grant got a BAFTA nomination for this role, but he nails it. It's broad, scenery-chewing work at its finest.

- The two big Shakespeare references - one to Macbeth, and the other to the most famous stage direction in The Winter's Tale - are aces.

- It's undoubtedly because I went to a late show, but almost all of the sparse audience consisted of adults.

• Like 1

Warm, fuzzy, and charming, Paddington was everything the first one was and more. Hugh Grant is amazing in this, and pretty hilarious at times too. There are some genuine laugh-out-loud moments (even if one of them steals from a classic Mr. Bean moment). The film pays a particular attention to detail, and everything that goes on happens for a reason at some point later on in the film. Not a single frame, character, or joke is wasted. 

Definitely a lot of Wes Andersen influence here. And the ''British humor'' is top notch. A few emotionally touching moments as well. All-around a spectacular film. GO SEE IT.

• Like 1

I'm not really amused by the idea of slapstick for the sake of it and during the barber shop scene I feared I would have to endure a lot more of it throughout the rest of the movie. Luckily the plot kicks in afterwards and things afterward are all enjoyably fluffy.

Largely what raises these films above the average made-for-TV kids movie is the unwavering commitment to the material both behind and in front of the screen. Paul King is unquestionably a very talented filmmaker and his appreciation for the source shows in every single frame. As with the previous film, Whishaw is the perfect voice for the titular character and Hawkins and Bonneville are excellent again in their supporting roles as the Browns, if maybe seeming a little less useful here than in the first movie. Grant's fun in his villainous role too but he doesn't quite let loose as much as I'd hoped he would.

Magical. Really reminded me of family films from the 90s and early 2000s such as Home Alone, Home Alone 2 and ELF. The entire film had that feel good vibe without diving into raunch or pop culture. I think they even payed homage to Home Alone 2 with that tape recorder scene.

What really impressed me though was the editing. Absolutely incredible scene transitions. And if that fair wasn't a real set, bravo.

It has a lot of conveniences and plot holes...but it's still a kids movie so it's whatever. One of the better family films in recent memory.

A-

I have had a really terrible January -- my grandmother had an extended stay in the hospital, my beloved seventeen-year-old cat died, work is work -- and for 104 minutes it felt like everything was right in the world.  This movie is utterly PRECIOUS and so kind.  I loved the sense of wonder throughout ( I was BEAMING at the prison break!).  Every character was important and mattered; and in the end, everyone got to have their shining moment.  The script was wonderful, and the editing was so well placed.  And then there was Hugh, Oh My Gosh.  I hope he gets the BAFTA.  He was such a blast to watch.

And I want to know the name of the set dresser who decided to plaster Hugh's old headshots EVERYWHERE.  They deserve ALL THE AWARDS.  I had a giggle fit the first time we saw inside his house.

Paddington 2 is more of the delightful charm the first film served audiences. Whishaw's vocal work remains phenomenal, and the cast charms just as much as they did the first time. Additions such as Gleeson and Grant make the most of their screentime, and really, this movie just makes you smile from beginning to end. Sure, I might've wanted more of the whole family together, and some of the more touching allegorical parts of the first film are gone, but there's really nothing like this duology among modern family cinema. Paddington 2 captures the childhood magic that is all too rare from live action movies, and builds on the first one in a truly lovely way. Bring on Paddington the Third. A-