MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

filmlover

Can You Ever Forgive Me? | Fox Searchlight | Melissa McCarthy | 10/19/2018

2 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

why didnt this movie go wide??? melissa's star went down that much?

I think it already went wide-ish; audiences just wouldn't bite. The film made $7.6M, and its highest theater count was 555. Interestingly, the highest theater counts for The Wife ($8.2M) and The Death of Stalin ($8.0M) were 541 and 548, respectively. I wouldn't blame Melissa McCarthy's star power just yet, because I think it would've been tough to sell the concept of the film regardless. I'm sure, with the three Oscar nominations it's headed towards, it can have a new life in home video sales.

• Thanks 1

McCarthy star power, like most star power ever, is deeply linked to a specific expected by audience lane, same has Will Ferrell-Steve Carrel more serious affair or Sandler or currently Kevin Hart.

Star power does not easily jump out of an accepted by audience box, even Stalonne , even for the by far \biggest domestic star ever John Wayne it was not necessarily easy to sell non-western movie.

• Like 1