Morieris

Missing Link | Laika | April 12th 2019 | Estimated to lose 101.3M

Chris Butler, who directed Laika’s ParaNorman, is directing Film Five, whose plot is being kept under wraps but is being described as a globe-trotting comedy-adventure “bursting with humor, heart, and a profound message of acceptance and finding one's place.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hugh-jackman-zoe-saldana-zach-galifianakis-starring-animated-film-laika-1105775

Not Wildwood but ok.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Because I didn't read the article, so I didn't know the movie's actually going to Annapurna

That's probably for the best. Exciting! Hopefully we get more information soon. If only Annapurna had a CinemaCon Conference this year...

This is the photo that was unveiled at Cannes.

missing_link_1st_look-high_res_preview.j

They're apparently going for a bigfoot type of film. The design of the creature is very Aardman-ish in my opinion. The image itself is stunning. They're very likely giving this one their all. Though this film may end up depending on Smallfoot's reception. If Smallfoot is a smash hit, people may look at this and blindly yell, "TOO SIMILAR, TOO SIMILAR!'"... but the films are very different in the sense that Smallfoot is from the viewpoint of the monsters while this is from the viewpoint of a human for the most part. As a fan of Laika's film slate, I'm excited to see how this one fares and I'm excited to see what it's able to achieve.

https://www.laika.com/news/missing-link

The charismatic Sir Lionel Frost (voiced by Hugh Jackman) considers himself to be the world’s foremost investigator of myths and monsters.  The trouble is none of his small-minded high-society peers seems to recognize this.  Sir Lionel’s last chance for acceptance by the adventuring elite rests on traveling to America’s Pacific Northwest to prove the existence of a legendary creature. A living remnant of Man’s primitive ancestry. The Missing Link.

Zach Galifianakis is Mr. Link:  the slightly silly, surprisingly smart and soulful beast upon whom Sir Lionel’s dreams depend.  As species go, he’s as endangered as they get; he’s the last of his kind, and he’s lonely. Proposing a daring quest to seek out his rumored distant relatives, he enlists Sir Lionel’s help in an odyssey around the world to find the fabled valley of Shangri-La.

Together with Adelina Fortnight (voiced by Zoe Saldana), an independent and resourceful adventurer who possesses the only known map to the group’s secret destination, the unlikely trio embarks on a riotous rollercoaster of a ride.  Along the way, our fearless explorers encounter more than their fair share of peril, stalked at every turn by dastardly villains seeking to thwart their mission. Through it all, Mr. Link’s disarming charm and good-humored conviction provide the emotional and comedic foundation of this fun-filled family film.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Aardman will move Shaun the Sheep 2 as that's opening April 2019 in many markets.

If they're at least a month apart then I don't see why they couldn't coexist. They are pretty different stories with pretty different audiences. Plus, Shaun the Sheep's main market is the United Kingdom, and British family films such as Paddington 2 can do very well in that country regardless of how it does in the American market.

Seems like a departure from the normal from Laika but Laika makes good films.

As for marketing, I think MGM distributes this for Annapurna as with their deal.