Morieris

Missing Link | Laika | April 12th 2019 | Estimated to lose 101.3M

16 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

So I manage at our local movie theater and today we got a ton of movie trailers in, including this one and I kinda freaked out when I saw it listed. Since I build the movies, i'm more then likely going to try and attach this trailer with as many films as possible lol 

• Like 1

This definitely looks like the best Laika so far.

I've never really liked any of their movies. They looked dumb even from the trailers. Kubo, for a change, looked like the big deal - and was again a disappointment. All their movies flopped. I have no idea how they keep at it. I heard their founder had a big fortune to begin with - with which he finances their misguided endeavors?

THIS movie though looks real good. I really hope it's not a disappointment again. Want to see it twice and hope it won't bomb again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just found out this had an $100M budget :whosad:

So they're roughly $88 million (88%) in the hole after the global box office take. Not counting global P&A. Yikes.

Depressing, considering this film was wonderful. I love and have nothing but the upmost respect for stop motion animation, and the animators themselves. Pains me to see the general public routinely pay the genre dust. Not surprising though; it's woefully indicative of a society that has no problem buying furniture that comes in boxes or going to Walmart and buying their food from the same place they buy their underwear and windshield wipers.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/box-office-bombs-2019-list-1202918753/

Missing Link
UAR/Annapurna/Laika
Total Loss: $101.3M

Laika is known for quirky, specialty fare like 2016’s Kubo and the Two Strings. Missing Link was targeting a much younger set that devours Pixar, Illumination and DreamWorks Animation product. Turns out audiences weren’t looking for Missing Link, a $100 million-budget pic about a primate trying to find long-lost relatives in the fabled valley of Shangri-La. While AGC Studios covered an estimated $50M in foreign sales, this was no Ice Age. The movie was the first released outside Laika’s traditional partner Focus Features, continuing Annapurna’s cold streak as it distributed through its MGM distribution/marketing joint venture United Artists Releasing.

• Sad 2

On 6/2/2019 at 9:29 AM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just found out this had an $100M budget :whosad:

How, though?! Every Laika film up until then was made for 60 (Kubo came in a bit UNDER that due to rebates). Some might say it was getting Jacked-man but I highly doubt he got paid enough to make a 40m difference. Not to mention that Laika is no stranger to big names in their casts. 

If that figure is true then it'll make it the most expensive stop motion film ever made.