cookie

CAYOM Y4 - Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

So it sounds like A? Then sorry @Xillix, Roger Rabbit is back for Y4

I didn't actually want the 11th, don't apologize. :P

Anyway IIRC we did something similar in a previous year, yes? I remember someone finishing a movie or two after the technical deadline. I will say it kind of rubs me the wrong way in theory to have any particular movie/franchise be so important that we keep making exceptions for it. And I'd add that splitting the year in two is exactly what 2.0 was doing when it died off. But of course this is all a game and I absolutely sympathize with the way @cookie feels about the stress of it (felt similarly about Rock & Roll Heart Attack and that wasn't part of a billion-dollar franchise).

I guess I'm okay with "option A" so long as we don't make a habit of it? Like if the same thing happens next time someone has a big blockbuster unfinished by the deadline my vote will be no. But for now... eh.

• Like 2

Just now, Xillix said:

I didn't actually want the 11th, don't apologize. :P

Anyway IIRC we did something similar in a previous year, yes? I remember someone finishing a movie or two after the technical deadline. I will say it kind of rubs me the wrong way in theory to have any particular movie/franchise be so important that we keep making exceptions for it. And I'd add that splitting the year in two is exactly what 2.0 was doing when it died off. But of course this is all a game and I absolutely sympathize with the way @cookie feels about the stress of it (felt similarly about Rock & Roll Heart Attack and that wasn't part of a billion-dollar franchise).

I guess I'm okay with "option A" so long as we don't make a habit of it? Like if the same thing happens next time someone has a big blockbuster unfinished by the deadline my vote will be no. But for now... eh.

if I remember right, we split it into four and that's what fucked us over

So...

January-June films are due Monday as planned

July-December films are due October 15th now but that is the last deadline.

Reviews, predictions, etc., will go as planned

Everyone good with that?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Xillix said:

To clarify; by reviews and predictions "as planned" are you suggesting we review and predict films from the second half before the second half is done?

I meant for the first half only. 

I thought we were doing second half after the second half deadline but if the film is done for the second half, I suppose you can review and predict early.

First I’d like to say I am absolutely grateful for all the support. It means a lot.

Second, I definitely understand @Xillix not wanting this to become a regular thing and I don’t want to either. Honestly I just wanted to get it off my chest since I don’t always share bts stuff like that, didn’t expect everyone to be so quick to agree on an extension. I will do my best to take advantage of the second chance I’m getting now.

Given how much of a pain Reunion has been to finish it’s entirely possible I’ll push back Voltron 4 indefinitely so I don’t get stuck in the same cycle again next year (I don’t even know where I want it to end up, I only have a vague outline based on how Reunion ends), especially when there’s stuff I’m really excited about like TSW2 and SkyRiders I’d rather be working on.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 4

Going to see if I can do something quick and easy today/tomorrow just so I can have something for the first half of the year and get myself back into shape on finishing Voltron.

I always do one of those R-rated thrillers in June but Odyssey 3 is going to be a major hurdle so maybe something in May could work.

• Like 1

Conundrum of the day: Considering a massive release date swap. Although both St. Claire and Gauntlet of Midas are finished I was thinking of switching places as Planet 2 escapes the sci-fi/Action stuffing of November and I can work on St. Claire cause I’m not the most confident in it but that leaves me with two problems.

Problem 1: Remakes would be too close to another

Kingdom of The Sun comes out March 27th, Y4, and I want it to do big and am confident in it but I don’t like 2 remakes so close to one another (even though KOTS is a PG rated family skewing/female skewing musical and Planet 2 is a sci-fi PG-13 tentpole to a sequel). Also Brave comes out June 5th so I wonder if it’s too much for audiences

Problem 2: Family problem

St. Claire is going to be a light PG-13, and I think could draw families. With that and Wings in November and Roger Rabbit and Thymes in December, I don’t want to hurt Can You Imagine? as again huge hopes for it.

What I have been thinking about is having the schedule like this:

March 27th: Can You Imagine? (No family films since Pokémon 2 and no family competition until Our City 2)

May 1st: Treasure Planet: Gauntlet of Midas 

November 6th: St. Claire and The Bermuda Affair

November 25th: Kingdom of The Sun

But again two massive live action tentpoles so close to each other is something I don’t like, also afraid about KOTS legs. Not to mention CYI might be hurt by Got Milk?, Baseball Boy and Pokemon 2 (BAG to a lesser extent as well) So I may just leave everything as is.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Conundrum of the day: Considering a massive release date swap. Although both St. Claire and Gauntlet of Midas are finished I was thinking of switching places as Planet 2 escapes the sci-fi/Action stuffing of November and I can work on St. Claire cause I’m not the most confident in it but that leaves me with two problems.

Kingdom of The Sun comes out March 27th, Y4, and I want it to do big and am confident in it but I don’t like 2 remakes so close to one another (even though KOTS is a PG rated family skewing/female skewing musical and Planet 2 is a sci-fi PG-13 tentpole to a sequel). Also Brave comes out June 5th so I wonder if it’s too much for audiences

St. Claire is going to be a light PG-13, and I think could draw families. With that and Wings in November and Roger Rabbit and Thymes in December, I don’t want to hurt Can You Imagine? as again huge hopes for it.

March 27th: Can You Imagine? (No family films since Pokémon 2 and no family competition until Our City 2)

But again two massive live action tentpoles so close to each other is something I don’t like, also afraid about KOTS legs. Not to mention CYI might be hurt by Got Milk?, Baseball Boy and Pokemon 2 (BAG to a lesser extent as well) So I may just leave everything as is.

Thoughts?

That’s a good idea honestly. Looking at the slate, there’s a surprising lack of animated fare in the first half of the year so moving Can You Imagine is probably a good idea. Treasure Planet will probably do even better with the May release.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Thoughts?

As someone with a sci-fi tentpole in the Easter weekend I object to Treasure Planet being put at the start of May :sarah:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

That’s a good idea honestly. Looking at the slate, there’s a surprising lack of animated fare in the first half of the year so moving Can You Imagine is probably a good idea. Treasure Planet will probably do even better with the May release.

You think Kingdom of The Sun would be alright on Thanksgiving though?