Bluebomb

Intouchables OS - 409.0m!

It's now #151 on BOM all-time WW chart. It has already overtaken "The King's Speech", this week "Sex and the City", "Narnia 3" and "The Mummy" will fall victim to Intouchables; "Narnia 2" a few days later. Incredible rank for something with about 10mil US-gross!

like Phil Dunphy from Modern Family says: "Why do I have to watch a French movie? I didn't do anything wrong."

It is the easiest way to protect your own movie industry: force people to watch foreign movies subtitled. Only cinema-geeks will watch or people like Claire Dunphy who wants to see herself as cultured.

Edited by Rudolf

I would hate watching a dubbed movie. I find it funny sometimes when the foreign language word is also an English word yet the subtitle uses another word. In The Intouchables someone says "imbecile" yet it's translated as "idiot" by the subtitles.

I watched it once subbed and once dubbed - I think dubbing is more agreeable but of course you lose the actor's own voice. The german subs were ok afair. Best would be understanding the original but my French is barely enough to read books; following quick dialogues full of slang words is out of the question.

I would hate watching a dubbed movie.I find it funny sometimes when the foreign language word is also an English word yet the subtitle uses another word. In The Intouchables someone says "imbecile" yet it's translated as "idiot" by the subtitles.

sometimes homonymic words have different meanings in different languagesexamples English-Germanthe sea - der SeeEnglish word "sea" means "Meer" in GermanGerman word "See" means "lake" in Englishquite a collection http://german.about....ry/blfalsef.htm Edited by Rudolf

I watched it once subbed and once dubbed - I think dubbing is more agreeable but of course you lose the actor's own voice. The german subs were ok afair. Best would be understanding the original but my French is barely enough to read books; following quick dialogues full of slang words is out of the question.

same for me, first dubbed in German then in French with subtitles.The reading is distracting more from the experience than the asynchronicity between lip movements and voices. Of course it is habbit, we are simply used to it.In the said episode of Modern Family the Dunphys want to prove to themselves that they are not stupid, so they start watching a French movie. The parents of a classmate of her daughter are also there. They are of Indian origin and really well educated. He always winces in agony when he reads bad subtitles. Okay sometimes you find errors or things that have been changed on purpose, but you have to be really proficient in the foreign language and in the slang used in the particular genre of the movie (science, criminal, magical, medieval, ...) not to find the subtitles helpful. Edited by Rudolf

I'm just used to watching foreign language movies/TV shows with subtitles. Don't really have much access to dubbed foreign language material. Everything on SBS or the World Movies channel is subtitled.

try the Internet youtube, trailers,...