aabattery

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018)

Nut It  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Nut It

Horrible. The plot was all over the place. Nothing made sense and there was no build up to anything. Total waste of talent and money. Also it was rather blurry. At first I thought I wondered into a 3D version and didn’t get glasses but no. It was actually blurry. 

Beautifully designed but disappointingly short on actual enchantment and never comes across as more than a pastiche of various other Disney/fantasy movies. It often feels like an inferior live-action remake of a Disney cartoon except it isn't one: the story hits so many of their beats that I'm not sure why they didn't just go the animated route with this in the first place (although the highlights of the film are both of Misty Copeland's dance sequences, the second of which occurs during the end credits). Mackenzie Foy is a plucky young actress who provides most of the film's enjoyment. The other main source of entertainment though aside from the visuals is a wildly over the top Keira Knightley. Perhaps she knew she was stuck in a mediocre movie and decided to completely go for broke, as she sinks her teeth into the role of a Sugar Plum Fairy who takes in the voice of a baby and eats a chunk of her cotton candy hair whenever she gets nervous. I didn't hate this, but a Disney Nutcracker film should've been a lot more magical than this. C+

I cannot remember the last time I watched something simply because it looked visually fantastic.

And it does not disappoint. This has to be one of the most gorgeous tentpoles in recent years, and I’m not usually a fan these hyper-saturated cotton-candy that Disney (and other studios to a lesser extent) love to produce.

Everything else? Meh. There’s a spark of something here, but that’s bogged down by corporate vision.

I might be alone on this, but i really enjoyed it for what it was. A magical & fun fantasy/adventure film for many ages to see.

The cast is pretty enjoyable....especially the main one. I loved Mackenzie Foy as Clara here. She gives a pretty compelling personality to the character, IMO. Also....i’ve said it before...and i need to say again: I think Mackenzie is an underrated celebrity actress, and she needs more good & financially successful films in the future.

Not more i can say....except that the film did not disappoint me in the slightest.

A