Jump to content
Reddroast

Thoughts on theatre chains in Canada

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I am curious on the site's opinion of canadian theatre chains( Cineplex, Landmark Cinemas, etc.). 

I usually only go to cineplex cause I use my scene visa for all purchases so I get a ton of movies for free, I don’t have any Landmark theatres around me but I do have a few imagine cinemas which are nice as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I am curious on the site's opinion of canadian theatre chains( Cineplex, Landmark Cinemas, etc.). 

 

Cineplex is bad and good at the same time, the installation seem good, but the staff tend to be teenagers that do not care at all, the screen are rarely masked correctly, I would go to say even almost never.

 

Often they do not even try to mask the screen to have the correct ratio making the experience quite similar to watching a 2.35:1 movie on a 16:9 TV and show a complete no fuck will be given to even try, worst often part of the projection is hidden by the masking setup made from a previous projection and there is so much of a complete absence of quality control they will not know it by themselve. Your job is in good part to project a movie and it should have got extremely easy with those digital projection, yet they are terrible at it (maybe not having well paid adults employee being part of it). 

 

Guzzo's seem to care much more but tend to not have has good as installation than a giant like Cineplex and are not perfect either.

Edited by Barnack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

I usually only go to cineplex cause I use my scene visa for all purchases so I get a ton of movies for free, I don’t have any Landmark theatres around me but I do have a few imagine cinemas which are nice as well. 

What is imagine like customer-service wise? I dont have any near me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Reddroast said:

What is imagine like customer-service wise? I dont have any near me

Basically the same as cineplex, just teenagers doing mostly everything. But for a place that’s only $10 for tickets and all really nice reclining chairs it works. The theatres are clean and not super huge. It doesn’t bother me though, I just go get the snacks for the family and go and watch movies.

 

I have a bunch of big cineplex locations around me so I have lots of options. For Aquaman I’m going to see it imax at the one down the street from my house( that’s about 12 minutes away)The one I normally go to only has the avx/dbox theatres( that’s about 8 minutes way). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Landmark's recliners >>>>> any kind of Cineplex seating. That being said, Cineplex is much more consistent with their updates, with the majority of theatre's being held to a pretty good standard. Whereas Landmark varies wildly; their big locations in competitive markets are great, but they hardly ever invest any renovation money into their smaller locations.

 

Also, Cineplex popcorn tastes like cardboard, Landmark's is a million times better (there's a landmark and a Cineplex within 20 minutes of me). Landmark also offers free refills on large items which Cineplex doesn't. SCENE rewards at Cineplex also give them a point, but ATOM gives Landmark a point. They just need a better rewards program. 

 

So if I have to pick, I'll go to Landmark; if their seats at the smaller locations were updated at all I would basically never have to go to Cineplex. But as it is, the Cineplex here has much better seats than the Landmark (and more screens aka more selection) and SCENE, so it's usually a toss-up for me where I go. Usually whichever theatre is playing the movie I want to see. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Landmark's recliners >>>>> any kind of Cineplex seating. That being said, Cineplex is much more consistent with their updates, with the majority of theatre's being held to a pretty good standard. Whereas Landmark varies wildly; their big locations in competitive markets are great, but they hardly ever invest any renovation money into their smaller locations.

 

Also, Cineplex popcorn tastes like cardboard, Landmark's is a million times better (there's a landmark and a Cineplex within 20 minutes of me). Landmark also offers free refills on large items which Cineplex doesn't. SCENE rewards at Cineplex also give them a point, but ATOM gives Landmark a point. They just need a better rewards program. 

 

So if I have to pick, I'll go to Landmark; if their seats at the smaller locations were updated at all I would basically never have to go to Cineplex. But as it is, the Cineplex here has much better seats than the Landmark (and more screens aka more selection) and SCENE, so it's usually a toss-up for me where I go. Usually whichever theatre is playing the movie I want to see. 

I am hoping that Landmark updates their theatre closest to me.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Landmark's recliners >>>>> any kind of Cineplex seating.

 

Agreed. There is a Landmark theatre in my city, among several other theatres (mostly Cineplex) and it is almost literally the only theatre I go to. Their reserved recliner seating is the best. And being able to order my tickets so easily on the Atom app, which also lets me order food ahead of time and the food will be ready when I arrive at the theatre, makes the whole experience the way I want my theatre experience to be.

 

Peace,

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The closest landmark is like 50 minutes from my place lol. If I’m ever out in the area I’ll check it out. 

 

 

For reference I live just North of Downtown Toronto, I’m in Thornhill/Markham area. 

Edited by cax16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

The closest landmark is like 50 minutes from my place lol. If I’m ever out in the area I’ll check it out. 

 

 

For reference I live just North of Downtown Toronto, I’m in Thornhill/Markham area. 

Is it one of the 24 places like Kanata or Whitby? (not sure which one is Toronto)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

 

Agreed. There is a Landmark theatre in my city, among several other theatres (mostly Cineplex) and it is almost literally the only theatre I go to. Their reserved recliner seating is the best. And being able to order my tickets so easily on the Atom app, which also lets me order food ahead of time and the food will be ready when I arrive at the theatre, makes the whole experience the way I want my theatre experience to be.

 

Peace,

Mike

Exactly. When landmark is good, it’s great, better than pretty much any cineplex experience. Problem is their consistency, which is why I think cineplex has the better reputation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, cax16 said:

You mean where I live? Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. 

Sorry, meant 24-plexes (damn autocorrect on my phone is gonna be the death of me I swear). 

 

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Does landmark have premium screens also? And are prices comparable to cineplex? 

Depending on the location, I think they do yea. Again, problem is the consistency, but part of that is due to a lot of their markets being acquisitions from Empire however many years back, and so the locations are not their buildings, but just ones they took over. 

Prices are pretty consistent throughout pretty much any first-run theatres in Canada from my experience. Landmark is usually slightly cheaper but maybe only by 50 cents a ticket or something. The independent theatre in Victoria has pretty much the same prices as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Sorry, meant 24-plexes (damn autocorrect on my phone is gonna be the death of me I swear). 

 

Depending on the location, I think they do yea. Again, problem is the consistency, but part of that is due to a lot of their markets being acquisitions from Empire however many years back, and so the locations are not their buildings, but just ones they took over. 

Prices are pretty consistent throughout pretty much any first-run theatres in Canada from my experience. Landmark is usually slightly cheaper but maybe only by 50 cents a ticket or something. The independent theatre in Victoria has pretty much the same prices as well. 

Oh ok lol.

 

I think the silver city Richmond hill I use is one of the big ones, the empress walk one is newer and is the IMAX theatres and has a bunch of other screens also. There’s another cineplex one I use when we go out with friends once a month to the vip theatre, that one we can pre-order food at as well to our seats and get alcohol etc. It’s another big one also. Half the space is used for the vip theatres and bar, the other half is just like a normal theatre with the normal concessions etc. 

 

Thanks for the info about the Landmarks :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.