PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Also, I would add on the aspect of Disney/Pixar being a bit blurred together: this cross-over is (in my opinion) much more heavily seen in the quality of Disney Animation movies getting talent/direction/influence from Pixar much more than the other way around.

Yep. Pixar was like the studious straight A's nerd girl and Disney Animation was the house party drunk-every-day guy who got married and the guy got his shit together while the girl started drinking every weekend just to have a little fun. Edited by whoot
  • Like 1

IMO the amount of shots rendered in CGI is no longer the only determining factor to decide whether it's an animation film or not. CGI is super advanced and now it can simulate most of the things in almost 100% photo-realistic. The bounds between CGI and live action is becoming more and more unclear. We must also see how CGI is being used before we decide to call an animation film. From that perpective, Avatar is no way an animation film.

What you are saying is that animaion film is a genre and not a production mean. Probably a lot of people see it the same, but it should not be so. In Japan people are traditionally regarding it differently. And I hope things will change in the west as well.

Yep. Pixar was like the studious straight A's nerd girl and Disney Animation was the house party drunk-every-day guy who got married and the guy got his shit together while the girl started drinking every weekend just to have a little fun.

LOL. That is right on target.I'm curious about Disney's lineup though. We know about six upcoming Pixar projects, but Disney is keeping things tightly under wraps. Frozen and Big Hero 6 have been announced, but no images or anything has been released so far. And beyond that it's all vague. A mysterious project that will use the technique in Paperman and a rumored sequel to Wreck-It Ralph. Not much more.Hope we'll see some announcements in January. Most of all a trailer for Frozen.

Okay, new rankings with Brave.

Ratatouille

Finding Nemo

The Incredibles

Toy Story 3

Brave

Monster's Inc

Toy Story

Up

WALL-E

Cars

Toy Story 2

A Bug's Life

I finally saw Brave. (Can't believe I didn't see it in theaters....Cars 2 must have really effected me) It was "ok". Seems like I've seen it before somehow. Didn't feel any "magic" I expect from Pixar.

I guess my ranking would look like:

1-Finding Nemo

2-Toy Story 1, 2, & 3

3-Monsters Inc, Up, Wall-E, A Bug's Life, The Incredibles

4-Brave

5-Cars

6-Ratatouille

I doubt I'll ever see Cars 2

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. You're not going to find any Pixar ranking that looks exactly the same as any other.

Exactly. More proof that you can't actually put a ranking of quality on art. Our view of it applies to us and no one else.

I assume it'll be a different premise. I wouldn't be surprised if they learn from the mistakes of Cars 2 and ditch a bunch of the original's characters. Maybe a Dory and Nemo team-up. Dying corral prompts a cross-sea adventure? Who knows.

When might this even come out? 2016?

But what if they "learn from the mistakes of Toy Story" and KEEP a bunch of the original characters? ;)

I'm thinking if this is going "political" with the climate change kills coral reefs thing.

Ugh...that would suck for anyone who doesn't buy into that religion. I suppose I can watch things with Jesus and God in them...so I guess I could stand that religious stuff too.

When I watch movies, I want to be entertained, not preached to. I think WALL-E did a great job of putting the consumerism message in the background, and yet there was still some backlash from some people for it being too preachy; so I can only imagine if Finding Nemo 2 became Happy Feetish how much worse the backlash could get (and if it's like Happy Feet in the heavy handedness, I'll join in that backlash).

Plus, I'm tired of all the dystopian settings in most of the popular stories coming out nowadays. I'd rather some real escapism, especially from Finding Nemo, which to me was one of the best light-hearted epic journeys ever done. It'd be a shame to see a sequel change the tone that made the first so great.

People naturally are drawn to "doom". We never tire of doomsday theories and predictions and much of our tales of the "future" feature very bleak scenarios. I think Star Trek is the only optimistic future which achieved great popularity unless I'm missing something. Throughout human history we've been enthralled with anyone who got up on a tree stump and predicted doom. Their predictions are never right, but we don't remember that and just move on to the next doomsayer.

Try an experiment for yourself: In a room of people, causally say, "Things are getting worse all the time". The reaction will be nodding of heads in agreement and others will chime in with their own doomsaying. Try it again with a different group except say, "Things are getting better all the time". You will almost always get an argument and be prodded to provide some proof of your claim.

It's quite funny to watch. Human beings are interesting.

Personally I roll my eyes whenever I hear or read someone say that. The world has always been filled with bad things, they just change over time.

Agree, personally I think the world is better than ever seen before, particularly in science fields.Soon we'll heal blind people for example, they'll be able to see again (or for the first time), I think it's really wonderful.

Anyone else feel that Disney's acquisition of Pixar is resulting in lower quality when compared to previous Pixar films? It's clear Disney is already pushing for more sequels, and unfortunately a lot of the Pixar brains have bolted, or are involved in a lot less capacity than before.While still a good bet for putting out good films, it's a bit sad to say that the Pixar name isn't what it used to be.......for me, at least.

Edited by mattmav45

Most of the brains are still there. Lasseter's still the head honcho, of course. Docter, Peterson, and Unkrich all have confirmed films in the pipeline, and Stanton's working on Nemo 2 (sequel, granted, but still, he hasn't bolted). Bird's working on other things but he's definitely still a key figure. And now here we have word of a new Teddy Newton film.

Edited by tribefan695

If it doesn't yet have a working title I think it's safe to say it's an original. Does anyone remember a story about Lee Unkrich, Dan Scanlon or Andrew Stanton working on "untitled projects" before they were announced as sequels?

Edited by tribefan695

As almost everybody watches dubbed animated movies I predict even more films produced around the world using famous voices. A movie with cavemen, dinosaurs, talking animals or fairies can be made everywhere. Why use expensive american, canadian or new zealandish artists?