PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Of course Disney can afford the luxury of owning two different animation studios. But wouldn't it make more sense to employ them to go for more different aims? Like one going for younger the other for older audiences. Or one going for the domestic taste while the other tries more to satisfy the tastes abroad. Does not seem to happen.

They're both pretty successful at doing what they do, so there's not much incentive to gear one of them towards an adult audience (who aren't as much of a guarantee, to say the least) Edited by tribefan695

They're both pretty successful at doing what they do, so there's not much incentive to gear one of them towards an adult audience (who aren't as much of a guarantee, to say the least)

Maybe I am alone with my wish for more adult animated movies (ala AVATAR)Fox and Dreamworks together can fight the emperium with a diversified strategy.

And now Pixar is getting further and further away from its creative side and starting to making sequels after sequels. I guess arrogance really had an impact on those guys.

Funny you say that right after I post that blurb about how their upcoming slate looks much less "Disney" than Brave. Yeah, they are making sequels now, but it's not the only thing they're doing.

Maybe I am alone with my wish for more adult animated movies (ala AVATAR)Fox and Dreamworks together can fight the emperium with a diversified strategy.

You are not alone.Though I think this will not happen until animation production costs come down. It's hard for studios to want to take a risk if budgets are at a minimum going to be $80m.

The budgets for animation is really high especially at Pixar where it can almost $200m, I know Pixar develop new techniques for each new film but I wonder if we may see a time where Disney will try and cut costs with CG Animation especially as films like Ice Age and The Lorax are just as successful and are made for under $100m.

Avatar? One, it's not really the animation we're talking about, and two, based off Ferngully and Pocahontas doesn't give you much room for adult animated movies.

I think Pixar and in-house Disney are basically interchangeable at this point in a creative sense. I'm not just talking about the Brave/Wreck-It Ralph coincidence but their upcoming slate as well. Disney is taking risks but they still have Frozen coming out next year. Pixar has some exciting projects coming up but also more sequels. I think this is a good thing but it's definitely Pixar's fall from omnipotence.

Avatar? One, it's not really the animation we're talking about, and two, based off Ferngully and Pocahontas doesn't give you much room for adult animated movies.

most of the scenens in AVATAR are anmationI am thinking of the John Carter of Mars series produced for about $75m a piece as animated movies. They could easily make $50m DOM and $150m OS.

IMO the amount of shots rendered in CGI is no longer the only determining factor to decide whether it's an animation film or not. CGI is super advanced and now it can simulate most of the things in almost 100% photo-realistic. The bounds between CGI and live action is becoming more and more unclear. We must also see how CGI is being used before we decide to call an animation film. From that perpective, Avatar is no way an animation film.

Edited by vc2002

I think Pixar and in-house Disney are basically interchangeable at this point in a creative sense. I'm not just talking about the Brave/Wreck-It Ralph coincidence but their upcoming slate as well. Disney is taking risks but they still have Frozen coming out next year. Pixar has some exciting projects coming up but also more sequels. I think this is a good thing but it's definitely Pixar's fall from omnipotence.

I just want to point out (in light of your last sentence) that Pixar's Brave is the highest grossing animated movie of the year (2012). So was Cars 2 last year (2011). So was Toy Story 3 the year before (2010). So was Up the year before(2009). So was Wall-E the year before that(2008). The last time Pixar wasn't the top grossing animated movie was Rat.

SOME SLUMP!

Edited by Misadventures2x3

Also, I would add on the aspect of Disney/Pixar being a bit blurred together: this cross-over is (in my opinion) much more heavily seen in the quality of Disney Animation movies getting talent/direction/influence from Pixar much more than the other way around.

I just want to point out (in light of your last sentence) that Pixar's Brave is the highest grossing animated movie of the year (2012). So was Cars 2 last year (2011). So was Toy Story 3 the year before (2010). So was Up the year before(2009). So was Wall-E the year before that(2008). The last time Pixar wasn't the top grossing animated movie was Rat.

SOME SLUMP!

SOME SLUMP!

and Ratatouille has the highest OS rate (66.9%) of all Pixar movies

you can't please all audiences at the same time