Xillix

Critical Reviews 5: The Revenge of Xillix

10 hours ago, Xillix said:

Splatoon

I'm very glad that an honest attempt was made to craft a story to fill out the film's runtime in this case. The plot that Endless and Horizon have gone with is, frankly, a bit of an odd fit for the content of the game itself, and the tonal clash is sometimes a little bit jarring. But honestly, it's a perfectly decent family flick for the most part. Little kids will have a blast and it's an easy enough sit for parents and older siblings - though elements of the climax might bring to mind unflattering comparisons to some surprisingly similar bits of the superior Two Lonely Bounty Hunters.

BOT-Tag-3-stars.png

Forgot to ask, how was the Can You Imagine? short?

3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

youtube-rewind-2018-most-disliked-video-

In all seriousness though @Xillix, I honestly sympathize in you hating it. Honestly, I can't really fault anyone for finding problems in it. Really, my biggest mistake was trying to churn the whole thing out in 4 days like I've done in the past with The Odyssey films, which was probably my ultimate downfall in the end. This is probably the last time I'll ever do anything like that again because its done nothing but bring me increased anxiety to try and get something in before the deadline. I don't think I've ever felt as tired or exhausted after completing anything that should've been something fun or exciting to write before that it felt like doing homework. Never again.

I think going forward, if something like this ever happens again where I'm in a crunch too finish something, unless I'm at a far point in the story where I feel confident enough in the final product to finish it, I'll just delay it a game year rather than just hurry through it half-assedly. The last thing I want is for this game to feel like homework to me, because its not. Its so much more than that to me -- it's supposed to be fun and exciting to write your own films, see other user's reactions to your work, and do the same for other users' work. But most importantly, its supposed to be fun. I guess the lines got blurred somewhere down the line for me.

Sorry if this seems like incoherent rambling. My brain has just been a bit of a jumbled mess lately. Just wanted to get how I've been feeling lately off of my chest.

• Like 5

That’s not incoherent at all, it’s pretty much how I felt for most of this game year too. Hence my eight million delayed projects and In the Valley being a huge letdown. I totally get it and I know you’re a very good writer, so rest assured my opinion of this one film doesn’t change my opinions of you at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JULY PART 1

Calendars

I'll admit I'm a little on the fence about the entire idea of a fictional documentary... but the story that's been put together here is surprisingly compelling given its threadbare nature. Even if it's a Catfish situation where it's a mockumentary masquerading as the truth, it's still a pretty solid and affecting short little movie with an interesting premise. There are some unfortunate implications that can be read into the resolution of a certain plot point towards the middle, which comes dangerously close to trivializing a pretty significant argument over basic human rights. Of course, given that this is supposed to be a brief snapshot of a few individuals, I can give it some leeway there.

BOT-Tag-3-stars.png

Up the Butt

It's a triple threat - not funny, not scary, and not interesting.

BOT-Tag-half-star.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Xillix said:

JULY PART 1

Calendars

I'll admit I'm a little on the fence about the entire idea of a fictional documentary... but the story that's been put together here is surprisingly compelling given its threadbare nature. Even if it's a Catfish situation where it's a mockumentary masquerading as the truth, it's still a pretty solid and affecting short little movie with an interesting premise. There are some unfortunate implications that can be read into the resolution of a certain plot point towards the middle, which comes dangerously close to trivializing a pretty significant argument over basic human rights. Of course, given that this is supposed to be a brief snapshot of a few individuals, I can give it some leeway there.

BOT-Tag-3-stars.png

Up the Butt

It's a triple threat - not funny, not scary, and not interesting.

BOT-Tag-half-star.png

I'm shocked that OPM has the same score as UP THE BUTT

3 hours ago, Xillix said:

Calendars

BOT-Tag-3-stars.png

Yeah, this is fair. I typed all of this right after the most recent Golden Globes, when Bohemian Rhapsody won Best Picture Drama. I guess the movie's themes were on my mind. I was like, do I type this do I type this do I type this, and then I posted it and didn't bother to edit it. So yeah. I'll take the criticism and use it as a learning experience. Trivialization wasn't my intention, but I understand why you felt that way.