movies!movies!

Salem’s Lot | Warner Bros.

On 9/22/2024 at 11:43 AM, Lucas said:

Thought this was a bit of a mess that seemed to be too caught up in the source material.

And what is wrong with following the source material when said meaterial has been very sucessful?

I always though the novel was a bit too complex for a feature film and should have been a miniseries. like the previous version.

Edited by dudalb

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And what is wrong with following the source material when said meaterial has been very sucessful?

Because the source material is 439 pages long and the film is under 2 hours.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I always though the novel was a bit too complex for a feature film and should have been a miniseries. like the previous version.

Ah you figured out what the problem with this could be.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And it does not help that those needing a vampire fix have Nosfratu to look forward to.

The one-two punch of Nosferatu and Sinners is quite unfortunate for this lol. I'm glad WB didn't throw it in the trash, but yeah I wasn't a fan - though there are some creative visual ideas in there. It just needed to go heavier on the adaptation part of the process because it feels like it's taking a little bit of everything so nothing gets developed or room to breathe properly.

To borrow part of a quote from Stephen King (lol):

I don't know what you think, but for me, that version's a loser. The story is there, but it's not elegant. It's like the Cadillac with the chrome stripped off and the paint sanded down to dull metal. It goes somewhere, but it ain't, you know, boss.

I’ve never seen the films or tv shows, or read the book. So this will be my first visit to Salem’s Lot. Wonder if that’ll help? 

edit: the tv series wasn’t really a thing here in the UK. IT was, but not this. So it was never in Global Video or Blockbuster for me as a kid. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve never seen the films or tv shows, or read the book. So this will be my first visit to Salem’s Lot. Wonder if that’ll help? 

edit: the tv series wasn’t really a thing here in the UK. IT was, but not this. So it was never in Global Video or Blockbuster for me as a kid. 

You are going to get a really condensed version of Salem;s Lot. I can't see how they fit the novel into a two hour movie.