Rorschach

CAYOM V: The Totals Strike Back

On 4/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, Rorschach said:

Static Shock - $210,117,717/$447,058,972

Kind of surprised at the very low OS for SS.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, Rorschach said:

Medusa - $275,817,045/$877,423,573

Also why the big Medusa decrease?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cookie said:

October-December today @Rorschach?

Probably not. Sorry. 

Ive been really busy trying to edit my short film that’s due on Wednesday and it’s not even close to being finished yet. I won’t promise anything but I’m hoping to have it all done before Friday at the very latest (I’ll probably get it in before then but doing the holdovers for the holiday flicks is gonna make the process take more time then it did for the other stuff). 

For now, I’d say Wednesday night is probably when I’ll get it in.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Rorschach said:

🤷‍♂️ I’m not the biggest expert in box office so feel free to call me out on anything if you feel a total should be different.

The OS splits for the biggest animated offerings seemed off

2LBH- 63.4% (not too different from the first, which was a shade under 60%)

Medusa- 71.8%

Splatoon- 68.9%

Sylvarius- 56.1%

Not asking for a change, the totals are the totals, but I am curious how Medusa/Splatoon got extremely better OS splits than Sylvarius.

Edited by 4815162342

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

2LBH- 63.4% (not too different from the first, which was a shade unde 60%)

Medusa- 71.8%

Splatoon- 68.9%

Sylvarius- 56.1%

Not asking for a change, the totals are the totals, but I am curious how Medusa/Splatoon got extremely better OS splits than Sylvarius.

Sylvarius is more serious than the other three. I'm going to assume Brave is what Rory went off of.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

2LBH- 63.4% (not too different from the first, which was a shade under 60%)

Medusa- 71.8%

Splatoon- 68.9%

Sylvarius- 56.1%

I sort of agree.

To be honest, I always expected Sylvarius to do around this or Dragon 1/Brave OS as it’s more serious. I understand Splatoon is very cartoony, so it might have done well OS ala DM1/IA and looking back OS wise KFP/Croods are fair for it, but I’m sort of confused at Medusa to be honest. Don’t get me wrong I like the result, but I don’t get what film was used for that one.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Medusa- 71.8%

Looking at some animated films right now, I think he used the same as Coco but I would have suspected more in the Tangled/Frozen range of a split.

. @Rorschach feel free to entertain my theory but I think the reason why it did so well OS was probably a breakout in Japan (~$150M?) as they love animated musicals and probably breakout everywhere else due to the Endless Animation brand and dying lack of animated musicals on CAYOM right.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean lots of people compared Slyvarius to studio Ghibli stuff... so i would've assumed it would've done well OS based in that

It did better than Studio Ghibli’s films. The only problem is serious animation doesn’t fare well OS as comedic counterparts, I mean look at To The Moon.

• Like 1

Please note that I'm not asking for Sylvarius' number to be changed. I personally was expecting around a 40/60 split or so. I was just surprised at other animated films having much more extreme splits.

(stuff like Bambi, Artifacts, etc I expected more extreme splits because of the lower domestic number)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean lots of people compared Slyvarius to studio Ghibli stuff... so i would've assumed it would've done well OS based in that

Studio Ghibli only really does super huge in native Japan though, at times decent in France since they’re the largest consumers of animé in the west.