GRADE IT  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This movie was far more enjoyable than the new mib, I’m so so shocked by this revelation. I thought this movie would be utter crap. I was laughing throughout the movie. I can see people not liking this film, because  there are jokes that can be seen as “homophobic,” “racist,” or any other -ist word. I don’t fault anyone who sees this movie and thinks that. Everyone’s sensibilities are different. I just thought the jokes pertaining to that stuff in the film were tongue and cheek. I’m gay and I didn’t take any offense to the gay jokes. It’s an action-comedy and Samuel L Jackson is portraying a hyper masculinized character. So, it’s kind of expected. Im guessing this is the reason for the low RT score. Ive seen plenty of tweets from critics espousing that it’s so racist, sexist, islamaphobic, and homophobic. The only thing I will say is it actually does depict Muslims in a bad light. The other stuff were for comedic relief.

I give it an A. I guess mostly because I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by YLF

I enjoyed it too.  It's not racist or homophobic....they are jokes.  Huge difference.  Comedy used to be allowed to be funny , to make fun of others without people getting up in arms about it.  

The last twenty minutes were pretty cool, nice to see three generations of Shaft on screen together.

8/10

• Like 1

I really liked this movie! This is a type of film that doesn’t get made anymore. Samuel L. Jackson definitely had some fun in this, and his performance is the best part of the movie!  The action scenes are really good, and  the other performances are lots of fun. I didn’t grow up with the original as a kid or anything, I have only seen the 2000 reboot years ago.

But overall, so far only seeing four films this year in the theater this is so far my favorite movie so far! This is a film you have fun with and it put a smile on my face which is quite rare for films nowadays!

grade:B+