70% full. 4:00 PM on opening day

Trailers:

The Heat - some laughs

The Hangover III - some laughs

Fast 6 - no reaction

Star Trek Into Darkness - no reaction

Elysium - no reaction

RIPD - no reaction

The script is highly derivative, convoluted and rather uneven. However, the script's weaknesses are salvaged thanks to strong performances, good direction, stunning visuals and a terrific score. Regardless of the film's storytelling weaknesses, it is very entertaining, and with broad science fiction being in decline, a step above most recent blockbusters.

7/10

Oblivion

2PM

About 70% full, mostly older people (as a side note some film called Home Run was sold out a few times...never even heard of it before today)

Trailers:

Mud: Never heard of this before. Looks like Mathew is really expanding his roles. Looks like a intresting period film-some laughs at the title though.

Hangover 3: Tons of laughs.

The Heat: Laughs all over, looks kind of funny.

RIPD: AKA Undead MIB. Tons of laughs came from Bridges in the trailer-mostly at the woman part when he is one that is.

Fast 6: Looks decent.

Movie: Pretty good. Confusing at times, the ending is kind of strange. Kind of boring though at times, but not too boring. Cruise was well Cruise. (Who I swear wears a hair piece). The music was pretty good as was the visuals. The audience really enjoyed it.

B+

That's good.

Oblivion

70% full. 4:00 PM on opening day

Trailers:

The Heat - some laughs

The Hangover III - some laughs

Fast 6 - no reaction

Star Trek Into Darkness - no reaction

Elysium - no reaction

RIPD - no reaction

The script is highly derivative, convoluted and rather uneven. However, the script's weaknesses are salvaged thanks to strong performances, good direction, stunning visuals and a terrific score. Regardless of the film's storytelling weaknesses, it is very entertaining, and with broad science fiction being in decline, a step above most recent blockbusters.

7/10

Best trailer of the year, no reaction?  :ph34r:

Posted Image

Oblivion

4:20PM Saturday, April 20th

Jordans Furniture IMAX - Reading, MA

Theater Capacity: 500 (60% full, a lot of families)

Ticket Price: $11.00

Concessions: jumbo popcorn and bottled water, $9.00

TRAILERS:

Iron Man 3 - great trailer, looks stunning in IMAX; silence from the audience (except for my two friends who are really excited to see this)

THE FILM:

I don't understand people on the internet sometimes. Film critics on rotten tomatoes have complained about the film's script being confusing or difficult to understand, whereas people on online forums claim that it's confusing or uneven. My friends and I had read this before going to see Oblivion, but went anyway because it still looked interesting (and it's increasingly rare to find a film in IMAX that's 2D). So I have a question for all of those people tearing apart the script: What movie were you watching?

In a word, Oblivion is fantastic. I personally thought the script was the film's biggest strength. Actually, my only complaint about the script is that they might have spent a little too much time explaining everything that's going on. This was the caliber of script I had hoped Prometheus would have. Visually, it's nearly at the caliber of director Joseph Kosinski's Tron Legacy (which I still believe is the most visually impressive film I've ever seen on an IMAX screen). Tom Cruise is his excellent self; the man is perfect for sci-fi action genre films. Don't be duped by the top billing of Morgan Freeman--he's probably on screen for about 7 minutes. Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough are both strong supporting actresses. I really liked the dynamic between those two with Cruise's character.

Several people have called the film derivative (i.e. copied from other works), and I think that's a huge discredit to the filmmakers. After all, most films in the sci-fi genre have relatable qualities that merit them being classified as sci-fi in the first place. And even if Oblivion is derivative of films like 2001: A Space OdysseyIndependence DayMoonAlien(s), or WALL*E, is that really bad company to be in? I don't think so. My friends and I really liked the film, and it definitely got us talking. There weren't any loose ends, the runtime had a steady pace, the acting was solid, and the shots of Earth in the future are breathtaking. I strongly recommend watching it. Everyone.

Experience - 26/30

Story/Writing - 19/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 10/10 (SUCH A GOOD SCORE! That's 2 for 2 from director Joseph Kosinski)

THE VERDICT: 91/100, A

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 1

^You sure do give out A's liberally. 

a) I write crowd reports, not movie reviews. I just like to be thorough and honest and honest in my recounting of the films I watch.

b ) Jurassic Park and 10 Things I Hate About You are the types of films rereleased to theaters because audiences are guaranteed a Grade "A" crowd experience.

c) If you were more selective in the films you'd go see, you'd have a lot of Grade "A" crowd experiences as well.

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2

The fact that ST2 isn't receiving any response from the trailer at the theatre suggests to me that many of you are wayy overpredicting on that one.. It'll barely open higher than TREK 2009 and not open over 100M OW.. Count on it..

First time I agree with you...

c) If you were more selective in the films you'd go see, you'd have a lot of Grade "A" crowd experiences as well.

Considering his statement came after you posted your thoughts on Oblivion, which is a decent, yet unremarkable flick, it is beyond hilarious that you'd say something like that. You usually watch all kinds of crap as well, you just tend to have a different rating system.

The fact that ST2 isn't receiving any response from the trailer at the theatre suggests to me that many of you are wayy overpredicting on that one.. It'll barely open higher than TREK 2009 and not open over 100M OW.. Count on it..

Or maybe people at those theaters simply don't comment on trailers?

You are like a virus infecting every thread.

a) I write crowd reports, not movie reviews. I just like to be thorough and honest and honest in my recounting of the films I watch.

b ) Jurassic Park and 10 Things I Hate About You are the types of films rereleased to theaters because audiences are guaranteed a Grade "A" crowd experience.

I'm pretty selective. But I like to watch a wide spectrum of films so that I remember what bad movies and mediocre movies are like relative to good ones. It helps to put things in perspective when you watch stuff like Oz and Gangster Squad. 

I guess I just don't see the point in reviewing movies based off the crowd reaction. Also, an 'A' for me is The Social Network, The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Fight Club, etc. Seminal films. So I don't get it when you give movies like Oblivion an 'A.' But like you said, if it's just based off the crowd experience, then okay. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty selective. But I like to watch a wide spectrum of films so that I remember what bad movies and mediocre movies are like relative to good ones. It helps to put things in perspective when you watch stuff like Oz and Gangster Squad. 

I agree with you about putting things in perspective. Here are the grades for other films I've seen the past several months:

Gangster Squad - 37/100, F

Admission - 58/100, C

Side Effects - 90/100, A

Guilt Trip - 46/100, D

Life of Pi - 74/100, B

Amour - 76/100, B

Hitchcock - 67/100, C

... it's just based off the crowd experience...

BINGO. This is why I post exclusively in the Crowd Reports thread and not the "Review That Movie!" forums. 

And for the record, I went to see Oblivion again tonight. Still liked the movie, but there were a couple d-bags who kept standing up and blocking the film projector. That and the film wasn't received as warmly by the crowd as when I'd seen it in IMAX yesterday. I still really liked the film, but would probably have rated the movie a high "B" if tonight's viewing was my first crowd report of it.

• Like 1

Ehh...I don't really mind him.

Besides, it won't open under 150, so unless his expectations are over 180, he won't be disappointed.

He himself said that he's expecting between 185-200M...

And for the record, I went to see Oblivion again tonight. Still liked the movie, but there were a couple d-bags who kept standing up and blocking the film projector. That and the film wasn't received as warmly by the crowd as when I'd seen it in IMAX yesterday. I still really liked the film, but would probably have rated the movie a high "B" if tonight's viewing was my first crowd report of it.

Not a very good theater if people standing blocks the projector.