lilmac

Forrest Gump (1994)

If I made a movie I would want it’s boxoffice run to look like this. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... 019&p=.htm

Newsflash: Forrest Gump was the number 1 movie of 1994, not The Lion King. 

What are your memories of Forrest Gump? How did it come into your life?

I remember seeing advertisements with the ‘box of chocolates’ quote. Tom Hanks was already well known but not stratosphere famous. I just knew the film was going to suck. As I stared at the sign, I thought. This looks bland, I thought. Why was this released in the summer. Everyone was still in a glow over The Lion King and highly anticipating True Lies. 

The movie comes out and I start detecting a buzz. What sold me, I think, was a local news feature that showed clips of Gump meeting Presidents and inserting himself in key pivotal moments in history. This was after Jurassic Park so we had come out of the CGI dark ages. Still, I was shocked at how FX was being used so well in such a subtle way. I had never seen that before. Color me intrigued at this point. 

‘Ok fine’ I’ll watch it. Once I saw the film, with its soaring soundtrack, Jenny, catchy quotes, Sinise, and of course Hanks - I was hooked. 

1994 was a great year for cinema. I was right in the middle of it and have ‘as it happened’ recollections like the above for all the popular films of that year. Happy to share.  
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/ch ... 994&p=.htm

"Classics" like this are weird for me, because for me, they're movies that have ALWAYS been around (literally in my case, since I can remember) but to many people on this forum, this movie came out, had a box office run, an Oscars run, etc. like any other movie. 

I remember watching parts of this at my grandma's when I was like 4 or 5 years old, and other parts of it with my dad maybe a year later, and not knowing that they were from the same movie. I don't think I fully watched it all the way through until I was about 14 or so, and until then I had no real idea of what it was about other than knowing who the character of Forrest Gump was. And I loved it when I first saw it. It was (and still is) a pretty incredible movie.

Watched it again over quarantine and while it didn't have the same impact on me that it did the first time I watched it, it's still a great movie. And Tom Hanks is pretty much immortalized as a result of this.