Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

TDKR stands at $63.9m. By next weekend it should be at $72-73m, on course to beat The Avengers.IA4 now at $38.7m. Heading for around $45-47m total. Pretty good.TASM at $39.1m. Heading for low-mid $40s. Pretty solid I guess, and sets up well for the sequel.Wimpy Kid opened to $2.7m. Very nice, and with holidays it should easily leg its way to $10m I think.

Edited by Heretic

WOM is very strong I think. Twitter reactions all over the weekend were overwhelmingly positive, and everyone I know who's seen it loved it.I'd be surprised if it didn't at least get a 2.8x multiplier. Most comedies get over 3.

Ted is wild and hard to track, will need to wait a bit to see where it will end up. Though $40M+ seems locked!All films should be racking up nice totals now too as holidays in full flow and Olympics not impacting too much.

Edited by JCS

without going to far into it, its a total mishmash and yes I haven't looked at it closly in a while but when I was BOM coversions were bad.Internally studios/distributors generally convert based on a intercompany weighted average exchange rate for each financial month(so if a film plays jul/aug/sep it will have calculations based on three rates), when they give all the INTL numbers in $us its converted from $lc using the intercompany rate, now various sites may convert those numbers in $us to $lc but it may not match the $lc depending on how they chose to do it (some use the latest daily rate even on cume figures)now when each territory releases they weekend/week official top 10/20/50 etc its released in $lc from the various territories, then sites convert to $us(once again varies)so if hyperthetically if you looked at say TDKR in UK and say you look at what BOM has under its INTL total and you look at what they have it listed as in GBP then you go to say the weekend actuals report which is given in GDP(there maybe some territories where the data is given as $us) and look at TDKR that total may/may not match what say BOM or others have converted from $us or converted to $us

Thanks, interesting and confusing.$ grosses for UK grosses will never be fully accurate it seems so £ grosses are more reliable.

1 Ted £9,333,700 £9,333,7002 The Dark Knight Rises £4,290,605 £40,846,9133 Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days £1,537,178 £1,537,1784 Ice Age: Continental Drift £1,213,388 £24,671,6035 Dr. Seuss' The Lorax £856,003 £4,648,4236 Brave £820,084 £820,0847 The Amazing Spider-Man £392,715 £24,937,2138 Magic Mike £288,189 £7,638,0769 Mirror Mirror £60,769 £7,578,05510 Searching For Sugar Man £42,416 £163,857

Very strong opening for Ted, think it'll around £3-5m for next weekend which is a big drop from the five day opening but excluding Wednesday and Thursday which did £3.4m is only a small drop from its £5.9m Friday-Sunday .Wimpy Kid did very well, don't think it was advertised at all and it dented Ice Age and The Lorax which has a very impressive total considering it only opened to 1.8m including previews and for Brave to open in the top 10 with only Scotland and Ireland is impressive, it's only slightly £57,000 behind what Ice Age made in its OW in those countries and Brave had a lot more competition in the kids movies department whereas IA had none.

Edited by Jonwo

That is very good for Brave. Ice Age also didn't have to deal with some of the biggest tv ratings ever. Should be over £2m by Sunday, and then with the 7 day UK opening, I see no reason why it shouldn't bring the total to over £10m.I think Ted will already be around £20m by the end of next weekend, and TDRK around £46-47m.Tiny drop for IA4. Could potentially leg its way to £30m with holidays.The UK box office is looking strong.

That is very good for Brave. Ice Age also didn't have to deal with some of the biggest tv ratings ever. Should be over £2m by Sunday, and then with the 7 day UK opening, I see no reason why it shouldn't bring the total to over £10m.

I think the UK opening will around £9-10m but it depends on how Bourne does which also has a 7 day opening. Bourne I'm thinking £6-7m seven day opening, it's hard to predict.

Going to be interesting next week with The Expendables 2 aswell, which has a 4 day opening. The first opened to £3.9m, so TE2 should match, or exceed that by a little. Perhaps around £4-4.5m.The Bourne films are quite popular. The Bourne Ultimatum did nearly £25m back in 2007 after a £6.6m 3 day opening. But like the US, I think buzz is significantly down on this one, and the absence of Matt Damon doesn't bode well. I'd be surprised if it didn't match Ultimatum's 3 day figure in 7 though, so yeah, around £6-7m probably.I wonder how Kieth Lemon: The Film will do. He is a hilarious guy, and Celebrity Juice is an insanely popular show. Could be a mini hit.

Going to be interesting next week with The Expendables 2 aswell, which has a 4 day opening. The first opened to £3.9m, so TE2 should match, or exceed that by a little. Perhaps around £4-4.5m.The Bourne films are quite popular. The Bourne Ultimatum did nearly £25m back in 2007 after a £6.6m 3 day opening. But like the US, I think buzz is significantly down on this one, and the absence of Matt Damon doesn't bode well. I'd be surprised if it didn't match Ultimatum's 3 day figure in 7 though, so yeah, around £6-7m probably.I wonder how Kieth Lemon: The Film will do. He is a hilarious guy, and Celebrity Juice is an insanely popular show. Could be a mini hit.

Expendables I imagine £4-5m four days, it also had weekend previews for the last film so it may be slightly down.There's also The Wedding Video which is a British film with Rufus Hound and Robert Webb but I imagine it'll suffer against the three big releases.Keith Lemon, I think should do okay but it's not going to hit Inbetweeners numbers, Celebrity Juice is popular but Keith himself hasn't fared well in other shows. I'm thinking £2-3m OW I imagine the reviews will be mixed at best.

Expendables I imagine £4-5m four days, it also had weekend previews for the last film so it may be slightly down.There's also The Wedding Video which is a British film with Rufus Hound and Robert Webb but I imagine it'll suffer against the three big releases.Keith Lemon, I think should do okay but it's not going to hit Inbetweeners numbers, Celebrity Juice is popular but Keith himself hasn't fared well in other shows. I'm thinking £2-3m OW I imagine the reviews will be mixed at best.

Around £3m is around what I would be expecting. Obviously no inbetweeners, but a small hit.I think Taken 2 is going to be a BIG hit. It's cult following is one of the largest I've ever seen. Taken was an excellent film, and I bet many, many people are looking forward to this one. A £5m opening could definitely happen, but it depends on the rating. If it's a 15, for sure.

I think Taken 2 is going to be a BIG hit. It's cult following is one of the largest I've ever seen. Taken was an excellent film, and I bet many, many people are looking forward to this one. A £5m opening could definitely happen, but it depends on the rating. If it's a 15, for sure.

I reckon it'll be a 12A, a 15 would be great but I reckon Taken 2 will be toned down slightly, the previous film was reedited to make it PG-13 and it was bigger in the US than any other country which had a smaller releases a few months earlier so £5m is realistic, if Johnny English Reborn can do almost £5m then Taken 2 certainly can.

I reckon it'll be a 12A, a 15 would be great but I reckon Taken 2 will be toned down slightly, the previous film was reedited to make it PG-13 and it was bigger in the US than any other country which had a smaller releases a few months earlier so £5m is realistic, if Johnny English Reborn can do almost £5m then Taken 2 certainly can.

Hmm, I dunno. I wouldn't like that at all.It was great because of how good the action was. And it's not really aimed at below 15 year olds anyway. I doubt it'd be 12A. That'd mean even young children could see it, which I don't see happening from the looks of the trailers. Edited by Heretic

Hmm, I dunno. I wouldn't like that at all.It was great because of how good the action was. And it's not really aimed at below 15 year olds anyway. I doubt it'd be 12A. That'd mean even young children could see it, which I don't see happening from the looks of the trailers.

I think if it's PG-13 in America, then it'll most likely be 12A over here but then again, some films that were rated PG-13 were 15 over here. The Hunger Games had to do minor cuts to get a 12A so it really depends on how violent it is. TBH, I'm not a fan of 12A anyway as I think some films like TDKR and Inception are not suitable for anyone under 10 but the content isn't hard enough to make it a 15.I'm glad in a way, we don't have a similar version to the R rating as I do not want little kids in 15 or 18 rated films.